Ozone Roadster 3

Bell407

Looking for some opinions/advice/comments, etc. on my proposed next wing.  I am currently flying a 26 meter Ozone Mojo on an e-start Nitro 200.  My all up weight with the motor, fuel, accessories, etc. is roughly 120-125 kg.  To date I have about 55-60 flights with probably more time in the air than actual accumulated flights.  Reason for this is my desire to fly cross-country rather than any sort of acro.  I am 52 years old and would consider myself to be in pretty good shape although dropping 5 kg would be nice!  

Given my only real PPG desire is to fly cross-country style flights, I simply want to go a bit faster.  I have read where the Roadster 3 can provide somewhere in the neighborhood of about 6 mph over the Mojo, which would be a vast improvement as I always seem to lag behind others in our PPG group.  With that said and given my all up weight, what are your thoughts on dropping down to a 24 meter wing versus a 26 meter when I consider the Roadster 3?

Thanks to all who elects to respond!

Here you can find my review on Roadster3 26:

Just 2 post later there is also a videolog (in italian, but the gps data are clear :) )

I'm selling it (look in sales area) with 40 hours...if you choose the 26m drop me a line ;)

I've tried also the 24m, a little more technical on landing and 3-4kmh faster than 26m with my weight

Edited by David125

Really appreciate the feedback guys!  Decisions, decisions.  The 26M is probably the safest route to go but I would sure hate to drop new or even used money on one if I get more bang (speed) for my buck with a 24M.  Thanks for the link to the video with the GPS speed test.  That's pretty interesting.

I have the R3 24. It's my first wing and I have about 20h on it. My all up weight is about 115 kg.

Inflation and take off is quite easy (I have a 200cc engine 😉), even in nil wind. Trims are nice, with about 10km/h difference between trims in and trims out.

My only concern is that it responds slow to brake inputs. To improve maneuverability and response I attached the tip steering lines to the main brakes. The results are noticeable but still feels a bit slow (in the turns) for me.

Regards!

Good information Gerard!  Your all up weight is a bit less than mine, which ideally puts you in the "correct" range for a 24 meter.  Did you come from a 24 meter wing prior to the Roadster or have you ever flown a 26?  I will assume no based on what Ozone specifies in their wing size to weight charts. 

Part of me says don't put so much emphasis on my all up weight and the manufacturer's sizing charts.  Pilots naturally tend to go smaller in wing size which typically nets them more speed & agility but at the same time increases wing loading and likely longer takeoff runs and higher landing speeds.  All relative I suppose.

11 hours ago, Bell407 said:

Good information Gerard!  Your all up weight is a bit less than mine, which ideally puts you in the "correct" range for a 24 meter.  Did you come from a 24 meter wing prior to the Roadster or have you ever flown a 26?  I will assume no based on what Ozone specifies in their wing size to weight charts.

This is my very first wing. I did the course with a 28m non-reflex wing, but it's not comparable to the R3.
Maybe I should go for the 22m R3. I am on a Thor 200 (32kg) and I've got plenty of power... my level flight is around 5000rpm.

• 3 weeks later...