Indoor drying solutions - pics or it didn't happen

paraflyer17

Hi all,

Not sure if there is a prize for the wierdest post of the year. If so, here is my entry 😀

I'm trying to get some groundhandling practice, but everywhere is soaking wet. So even though I've only got a cheap groundhandling wind, I need to dry it out afterwards.

Having done it so far by just spreading it out as much as possible in the living room, and suffering the obvious marital problems that occur with such a plan, my mind has gone into overdrive thinking of other solutions I can use in the garage. I cant be the first surely?

Please post any novel ideas and pics of how you dry your wings here please?

So far, I'm thinking:

1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minky-Retractable-Washing-Drying-Space/dp/B0001A96H2

crossing backwards and forwards across the garage a few times. Not sure if I would have to drape the glider over it(is it so thin it could cause damage), or use clothes pegs on the trailing edge (would that also cause damage?) Has anyone dried their wing on a clothes line outside and did it cause damage

2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-SHEILA-MAID-Airer-Rail/dp/B00IUL3DRS

Or similar. I think you would have to concertina the wing garage floor to ceiling across its back to front, if that makes sense. Not sure the gaps would be wide enough when you get to the leading edge profiles. Would be draped over almost in a IVVVI shape

3. A homemade version of 2. I'm wondering about replacing the metal ends of the above with 2 garage-width lengths of plywood hanging from the ceiling, with holes the diameter of 40mm plastic plumbing pipes cut into them. Then concertina the wing over these front to back as above.

In all of the above cases, I've not really thought about the wires and risers. I'm assuming they could get in a right mess.

Its such a common problem, someone out there must have a good way of doing this. Or do I just need to man up and tell the wife to deal with her cream carpet...

Thanks in advance.

I’ll admit that since I started flying I don’t tend to ground handle for the sake of it, thus limiting the chances of my wing getting soaking wet, and if the same for a lot here possibly why you haven’t had many answers.

If the ground is wet, I lay out my wing at point of take off, fly, land and try and drop wing neatly and then gather up and put away in its mushroom bag. Those bags are nicely vented such that if left in a warm room water will eventually evaporate and escape. (It does help having a newer wing though)

However I do recall Colin saying that he dried out the school wings over doors and stair banisters. I think his words were “anywhere there is space”!

I used to have a very long garage/workshop so fitted what was essentially a very long curtain track from end to end.

I hung my wet wing up twice using soft face clothes pegs, then avoided getting it wet subsequently.

Now if I think it is damp I open it up as much as possible in the lounge, draped across the floor and seating and leave overnight.

Thanks all.

Maybe I'm overthinking it then. I just assumed you wouldn't be able to leave it in any bag.

Although my old ground handling wing doesn't have a dewbag or mushroom bag. I'm not too fussed if that get a bit of mould on it,  hopefully my proper one will and thats what I'm thinking about..

Looking at the pics of the Dudek Dewbag, that would be great if you can just leave it to dry in one of those.

Thanks