Apco Hybrid

Ganbatte

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Apco hybrid? Their marketing emphasizes very slow launch and land speeds (and pretty slow flight too, which I don't consider a problem), but every brand has a wing or three they describe as "ridiculously easy launch", so who knows? My instructor has opinions only on wings he knows (of course) and that's not one of them.

In the best of all worlds, I'll stumble across someone who's familiar not only with the hybrid, but also the spyder 3, another model I'm considering.

Thanks!

I have one, its brilliant. Its definitely the easiest wing I have used for launching, I use it in nil & light wind, its not the fastest wing around, but for an easy comfy ride its great, very stable & you can chuck it around & it self stabilises better than any wing I have flown, due to exposed ribs at back of the wing. Great for free flying also

16 hours ago, Ganbatte said:

So you've triggered my curiosity; what other wings have you flown?

I also own hadronxx/nucleonxx & have flown gin falcon & a few more, hybrid is my choice on nil/light wind days, it would be perfect for low hour pilots too, very hard to fail a launch, the light weight is amazing. Its very stable & reassuring, but also fun to fly. I hope they make a faster wing with this technology

Edited by simonhunny
correction

Thanks a bunch guys, that's exactly the encouragement/confirmation I was looking for. I'm older and slower than my classmates, have stopped faceplanting during tows, but want to give myself every advantage I can initially, esp in nil wind, which is the situation a lot of the time in my area. If I outgrow the hybrid after a little while and make it the fallback wing for nil wind days but switch to something else when I have a little breeze to help launch, that's perfectly okay! :) (But with few people familiar with a hybrid and none available locally to try out, asking for peoples' experiences is the only available alternative to just cutting a check and hoping for the best.)

46 minutes ago, Ganbatte said:

Thanks a bunch guys, that's exactly the encouragement/confirmation I was looking for. I'm older and slower than my classmates, have stopped faceplanting during tows, but want to give myself every advantage I can initially, esp in nil wind, which is the situation a lot of the time in my area. If I outgrow the hybrid after a little while and make it the fallback wing for nil wind days but switch to something else when I have a little breeze to help launch, that's perfectly okay! :) (But with few people familiar with a hybrid and none available locally to try out, asking for peoples' experiences is the only available alternative to just cutting a check and hoping for the best.)

I hear you, I am 62 & like an easy run on a nil wind day :) If I cant reverse my dudek wings I reach for the hybrid. Today is a lovely 12-15 knots seabreeze on Bribie Island so I will probably reach for the hadron

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Apco Vista from my days of free flying. I converted it for paramotoring by ordering the correct risers from the company in Israel. I learnt to fly with it. It is the easiest take off and landing ever. Since then I have flown a Revo 2 which is specifically for paramotoring. But I can tell you I have decided to go back to the Apco Vista as it is so easy in nil wind and also in reverse launches. It's the best hybrid out there. 

'hybrid' is used in a lot of different contexts, I understand the apco hybrid means a merge of single & double skins, which is a 1st I believe. The vista is a great wing, but not a 'hybrid' in the same context of this wing. I hope apco develop a faster reflex wing with this same design.  Glad the vista is working well for you!

• 1 year later...

On 19/09/2019 at 04:20, simonhunny said:

I have one, its brilliant. Its definitely the easiest wing I have used for launching, I use it in nil & light wind, its not the fastest wing around, but for an easy comfy ride its great, very stable & you can chuck it around & it self stabilises better than any wing I have flown, due to exposed ribs at back of the wing. Great for free flying also

On 07/10/2019 at 09:12, simonhunny said:

'hybrid' is used in a lot of different contexts, I understand the apco hybrid means a merge of single & double skins, which is a 1st I believe. The vista is a great wing, but not a 'hybrid' in the same context of this wing. I hope apco develop a faster reflex wing with this same design.  Glad the vista is working well for you!

Edited by nicosangeli

12 hours ago, nicosangeli said:

can you please advise on trim settings for nil wind launches?

haven’t messed up a launch for ages but today i managed it with the first ever go with the hybrid..

it came up clean and effortless but seemed to hang back all the way until my feet were  just off the ground and it stalled on me,..

usually slowest trims, but trimmer range is so small it doesnt make much difference