Dudek Universal Size/Weight

As per my other thread on PMs, I'm hoping to resist buying until fully trained, but I wanted to keep an eye out for used kit to get an idea of what sort of prices I need to pay when the time comes.

I'm planning on pairing a wing with a parajet, not sure which one or engine yet, but based on my weight probably a moster 185.

My weight is around 85kgs, probably nearer 90 once I've got kit on etc

I think I've decided on a Universal 1.1, as it sounds very stable, but also has a good speed range and a bit of advancement, and also holds its value.

Does anyone know what size I'd need based on my weight and the Parajet weight? I'm assuming it will be a 28 or 31, but think I'd be top end of one and bottom end of the other.

28: 90-140kgs, 31: 110-170kgs

That said, if I was to use it as a PG only wing (which I wont) the weight range points me towards a 28, at 90-115kgs against 110-140kgs. So does that mean the 28 is my size?

And if I wanted to increase my choice, is there another good wing option to be looking out for to give me the stability of a beginner wing but without having to upgrade immediately?

Thanks in advance.

I’m still training and have 3 flights under my belt so far. I’m about to start buying my own gear now. 

I’ve decided to purchase a Parajet Maverick Sport (Moster 185), Dudek Universal 1.1(28m) and a Dudek Globe Light reserve (135). 

I’m 80kg before I start adding, clothes, boots, gear, fuel etc. I’ve allowed 40kg extra which takes me up to 120kg, that still leaves me 20kg before I reach the 140kg limit on a 28m. 

I think you would be fine with a 28m also, what colour are you going for? I’m going for Water

Thanks both. Who are you training with? Have they recommended your purchase and sizes? It does seem like almost a standard package these days.

No idea on colour, if I end up buying used it will have to be what it is, 

Not found any good comparison between the roadster and universal. Is it as collapse resistant as the universal and similar top speed if needed? Will discuss options with my instructor when I can and before purchase anyway, as I say I just want to keep an eye out in meanwhile. 

Thanks

I trained 3 years ago with Sky School. I went for 28 m as it means I am mid weight on the recommended weight range. I am disabled and find it very difficult to run. Being more lightly loaded on my wing means I don't have to be going as fast to take off.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not training until next spring, but already have logged 10 hours of ground handling practice with a used 1.1 28m wing. There is nothing like seeing the wing and risers in person. I got the basics down, but still a lot to learn so I can't wait to work with an instructor to get the whole shooting match.

I watched the aviator ppg and skyschool resources on ground handling and stick to what they demonstrate exactly, this is my argument against the "bad habits" warning.  The first thing I did was setup the wing/risers outside and with a mobile phone watched the section on hooking up the risers and the safety checks. All I did was practice clipping in and out of the harness, referencing the tutorial on this every 5 seconds (it seemed) to make sure I do it exactly as they show it without missing a step. Even though I didn't understand why you need to flip stuff around and grab things at weird angles, once I did it in person I could see why they teach you these things.  Before even thinking about clipping into a practice harness, I started with "hand kiting" and wall building until I was consistently successful, these two skills are used every time I setup the wing before clipping into the harness to make sure the wing is untangled and pointed in the right direction. Hand kiting is an elementary skill you should learn first. 

You'll need a wing available to practice with.

I am also assuming that people who have never handled a wing will become physically and mentally exhausted trying to learn the basics of ground handling on the first days of training.  I think investing in ground handling practice before training will ensure you can focus on the advanced techniques and even be "that student" who makes the most flights because they are ahead of the class.

I have this dilemma. 

Training in 3 weeks in spain, got a ground handling wing last weekend. 

Watched the aviator ppg vid twice.

Do I go have a play, or do i leave well alone? As you say, it's a learning bad habits thing vs getting a head start training and also getting the muscles used to it.

What's people's recommendation? 

At least get familiar with setting up the wing and hooking in to start as they show in Aviator PPG.  I'm looking at SkySchool and they teach a very similar method for reverse kiting hook-in so I was confident to practice that method.    As you get comfortable, try to launch it with by hand kiting it, a little wind in an open field without obstructions around.  See PPG handbook page 145 (Fig. 15.12) of the 5th edition Chapter 15.  I figured this out on my own, by holding the front A riser with your right hand and grasp the riser/brakes with your left hand: just remember to run sideways towards the side of the wing falling while pointing your left hand towards the falling side of the wing (because it brakes the right side). 

Run towards and point your left hand (D's/brakes) towards the falling side of the wing...the wing will want to point into the wind that's why you got to move with it, then use your left hand to keep it centered. Next the controls to make the wing go up/forward and down/back is the fact that if you pull on the Front A's the wing will go up/forward (forward means that you're standing still and the wing goes too far forward over-shooting you, so brake it by pulling the D's/brake side).

You already got the wing so "Send It".

Thanks. So all of the above is not clipped in, and with both As in one hand and both Bs in the other? Facing the wing? There is a bit on the aviator vid for this.

What wind speed do I need to be in?

Feel happier without clipping in as didn't want to get dragged by not knowing what I was doing. 

Thanks

Paraflyer, yes you launch the wing with just your hands, but don't do it in high winds.  Recently someone was on a hill hand kiting and got lifted 100 ft (33 m) off the ground and it ended in the worst way possible.  See paraglidingtalk.com episode 86 (last night).  Just do it in low winds without a storm coming.

Skip to 17:45 to see one-way to hand kite, he talks a lot so skip to 17:45 to see it: https://youtu.be/qEqzwyofkyo

I had a go at this tonight,  but unfortunately the wind had dropped  too much. Got it up in the air a couple of times but wasnt enough wind to keep it there. Unless my field wasnt open enough of course.

Will try in the morning. Quick question though. My wing is old and doesn't have split As. Do I just hold the middle A wires directly, or do I hold all As?

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

This is a really good topic as I am looking to upgrade to a more capable wing.  I have been kicking around the idea of a Roadster 3, Spyder 3 (exact same as the Roadster except lightweight material) and the Universal 1.1.  I currently fly an Air Conception Nitro 200 with a medium Ozone Mojo.  The medium equates to a 26 meter.  I will eventually sell the Nitro in favor of a Parajet Maverick, ideally with an My20 engine (assuming that configuration will be available).

The only thing I really care to do is fly cross country flights of between 15 & 40 miles.  The Mojo is great for stability and many other things a beginner requires but it lacks speed (to be expected).  I will continue to fly the Mojo since I only have about 55-60 flights, about the same hours, and I can still learn a lot more from the wing.  I am 52 years old, pretty good shape (can always be better), 190 lb (about 85 kg), and only care to foot launch.  The main thing I am trying to achieve is more speed with very little sacrifice in stability.  I typically only fly in ideal conditions (late evening, early morning) so hopefully I am minimizing my chances of adverse conditions.

I'm pretty sure my next wing will be the Universal 1.1 but what continues to be an issue for me is the size of wing to get.  My situation is nearly a carbon copy of Paraflyer17 as far as the all up weight (eventually with a Maverick).  Looking at the Universal 1.1 specs, I am ideally set for a 28 meter (90-140 kg).  The Maverick is a few pounds heavier than the Nitro (around 52 lb (24 kg) total weight I believe).  So my all up weight with the Maverick, me, fuel, etc. should be at the 255 lb (115 kg) point.  That puts me squarely in the middle of the 28 meter range.

So when I watch videos of guys my size and often larger, on a Maverick, with a Universal, it's not uncommon for them to drop down a size to the 25.5 meter.  This may be a factor of their skill level and desire for more speed and aggressive (maneuverability) flying style.  That's perfectly understandable but for me I keep going back to my training and that when it comes to wing selection they highly encouraged us to stay right at that mid-point or just slightly toward the higher end of the weight range.  

This may come down to my skill level, ability, experience, etc. There is nothing wrong with dropping down to a smaller wing as pilots do that all the time with increased experience.  I've spoken with a couple of Dudek suppliers in the States and have been recommended both the 25.5 & 28 meter for the 1.1.  

I am open to any and all opinions on this one guys.

Thanks!

Hi, 

Im not sure where you are based, but you are more than welcome to come and try a Universal 1.1, And we also have the Solo which you may enjoy. :-)

It's always good advice to get a demo flight on a wing before you buy it. :-)

As far as weight, the only correct answer here is to be on a wing that you are in the weight range of! If you are not, and you have an accident it is very likely that any insurances you have will be worthless. And of course, all of the numbers in the manual will be incorrect if you are outside of the range. 

Any of the wings you have listed will feel so much better than the MoJo which is a very docile wing indeed. 

Go fly one or two of them! 

SW :D

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the reply. You make some very good points. 

I am located just outside of Indianapolis, IN so very flat land at essentially 800' MSL.  

Being able to test fly various wings would be a great benefit and it may be possible but those logistics are still being sorted.  I am 99% convinced that the 28 meter is the way to go for me including the reasons you cited as well.  My skills & desire are more suited to the 28 meter and I just find it difficult to go against the grain of my instructional training and the manufacturer's specifications.  

I intend to continue flying the Mojo for at least a few more months and until the weather turns better over here.  It's a very good wing for the intended purpose.  I have never felt unsafe when flying it.  Yes, it's quite the school bus when it comes to speed &  maneuverability but that's the nature of the beast.  It still has good qualities and plenty for me to learn on.  Not to mention, from everything I have heard about it as compared to let's say a Roadster/Spyder 3 or the Universal 1.1, if I can consistently nail my takeoffs, especially in Nil wind, with the Mojo, the other wings will be much easier.  Either way I see it as great practice and experience.

Thanks again.

Nick

• Like 2