Would you "upgrade" from a Nitro 200 to Parajet Maverick?

Peter Borden

Hey all - 

I have a Nitro 200, electric start, titanium frame. It's the motor I learned on and the only one I've ever flown. I've always loved how light it is, and the electric start. But, there are some things that are annoying about it ...

- I have to break down the motor after each flight and reassemble it again before the next. At least, until I have a trailer hitch, this is how it's going to be. And I find the Nitro rather fiddly to assemble. 

- The build quality of the nitro, sort of along with the comment above, is just kind of fiddly. Lots of small pieces, and makes me worried (perhaps unfounded) that components will wear out with all the assembling / disassembling. 

- While this could be an aspect of my skills at tuning the motor, I find the power band kind of strange. Like right at the point that I want to hold the RPM for level flight is the point at which the throttle seems hard to keep constant (~4500rpm). Holding at 3500 rpm is easy, 5500 is easy, but that band between 4000 and 4500 is just very touchy. 

I've heard really good things about the build quality on the Parajet but perhaps I'm being overly optimistic? Or blaming the equipment when I should be blaming myself lol? 

I started with a Scout that I instanly broke on 1st powered taxi, tripped on power and distroyed teh cage :(

Expencive mistake and whilst all parts replaced left me feeling nervious about skill ´v´ cost.

I did a week in Fermo with a school who were training with Parajet V3 as primary learning tool.

Having seen the abuse these seemed to soak up, students butt landing, grass cutting, turtling and so on, I decided this was indeed the tool until my skills match a better tool.

I´m only about 50 flights in but live my V3, it breaks down to fit in the car for long trips, local trips it sits on a bike hanger.

Really comfortable although its heavy, cant have it all.

Engineering is very good and matched to a Moster 185 plenty of power for my 88kg.

My main grumble is the weight but its only there for setup and those 1st few steps.

My Scout is sitting wsiting for me to reach flight 100 although having tried a Mavic on my back I think I would swap given the option today just as I like the Parajet engineering and it feels so very light on your back.

Next time I´m in the UK I hope to get a chance to fly a Mavic with a Atom80 as I think it will be the perfect setup for my type of old man flying, although the Moster did not feel heavier on my back and I do like that push off teh ground it gives :)

SO in short, too late, unless I hated the test flight on the Mav it would be where I would go for my next ride.

Now to convince teh wife that its normal to have 3 ;)

I have a Nitro 200 at 100 hours and showing no sign of wear needing replacing. IN all that time all I have replaced is one switch...and last week the spark pug.

I also have a Tornado, now at 20 hours. This is what I would call upgrading from a Nitro! Moving to a Maverick would seem to me like a downwards step. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2019 at 14:17, Peter Borden said:

- While this could be an aspect of my skills at tuning the motor, I find the power band kind of strange. Like right at the point that I want to hold the RPM for level flight is the point at which the throttle seems hard to keep constant (~4500rpm). Holding at 3500 rpm is easy, 5500 is easy, but that band between 4000 and 4500 is just very touchy. 

Hi Peter,

Sounds like a little carb tuning is needed, it will help you smooth out that mid range point you want to fly at. Maybe just tweaking the high and low screws is enough. Base setting is 1 turn out on low and high. Sometimes high is 1:10. setting the low to 50 or 55 and the high to 1- 1:05 will help. If all this sounds like a foreign language, seek help.

• Like 1

I would say go and have a look at a few different manufacturers, you may find yourself swapping one fiddly machine for another, there are a lot more simpler designs out there that are built for this sort of thing, 

Personally I wouldn't say the build quality of the mav is anything to write home about, one of my pet hates is they made a pretty machine but forgot to incorporate the throttle cable so they just zip tied it on, 

The nitro has definitely got a strange powerband, the moster is really smooth 

My vote would be a PAP tinox moster, lighter than the mav and better build quality than the mav .

• Downvote 1

I have flown with all the Parajet models. None of them are as good as AC. I now have 80 hours on a Nitro and 20 hours on a Tornado. As for fiddly, there is only one fiddly bit (well one each side), that holds the lower hoop to the main frame. Mine still work fine. I don't know what other pieces you think are fiddly. 

For me, weight is king, so I have gone as light as possible. My new Tornado has the new lower weight harness, making it the lightest machine.

• Like 1