DT Propeller Moster185

e2vdavidb

Chaps

The last post on these guys, DT Propellers, was from 2016.

http://www.dtpropeller.com/en

Any recent experience buying props from them?

Managed to turtle last week and whilst there was no obvious breakage or damage to my Moster Parajet prop I want to play safe and replace it.

I´m convinced when I flex the prop I can hear internal fibre damage, need to see if I can get it x-rayed.

In the interim I borrowed the 130 from my Scout but feels off balance so will replace.

I also like to carry the spare.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback. 

I decided to order 2, one carbon and one wooden, both with leading edge tape.

I think the wood prop is so cheep its worth a look, my flying is not so dynamic so probably I wont notice a difference but will report when they arrive.

Dave

15 hours ago, e2vdavidb said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

I decided to order 2, one carbon and one wooden, both with leading edge tape.

I think the wood prop is so cheep its worth a look, my flying is not so dynamic so probably I wont notice a difference but will report when they arrive.

Dave

Dave my understanding on Carbon versus Wooden comes in varying information, the trainer who taught me who's used both would say wooden s generally best in damage limitations (wood disintegrates easier) and causes less damage to machine or person, as carbon stays sharp and turns lethal in most crashes.

But he always said if beach flying carbon was best and was his choice but inland flying wooden, and he said carbon spins up fractionally quicker but marginal, and fuel usage not noticeable and he's got years of experience including competition flying at high standard, and yes even he gets it wrong and has destroyed a Prop this year

Last month at our field there was an E-prop on warm up made a weird noise, and on inspection it had split open on tip outer edge without ever having had impact, you'll never get that on Wood and most of us were curious to of known what might of possibly happened if he was in flight.

This is just my two penneth. 

Order placed!

I´ll feedback on the delivery times and let you know what I think.

I added the fitting of prop tape to give some protection to leading edge although most of my flying so far has not been beach.

My only experience of some prop damage before was when my Scout prop completely mashed my Scout cage.

Result small chips on prop, easy fix, cage scrap.

Dave

• Like 1

I ordered a prop of them last year just to have as a spare. never used it yet but it looks like a piece of art, was a little disappointed with delivery time If I remember correctly it was around 3ish weeks no good if you need one in a hurry but other than that I'm happy.

20190606_184543.jpg

20190606_184620.jpg

Edited by Blue Brick
  • Like 1

They`re OK for the price but they are not multi-laminated like a `quality` prop - probably only have ~4 layers of wood.

And the wood is fairly soft and `compresses` at the hub so be sure to check the bolt torque frequently in the first hours of use otherwise the bolts may come loose and fall out........shearing the remaining two bolts when you apply full throttle...........mashing the pulley bolt hole threads and sending your new 1.5 hour-old prop fluttering earthwards.........

Loctite.

Edited by Hann__

Ok update, my son who works in banking, specifically international fraud, convinced my wife that we should do nothing with a company in Belarus. That is not to say there is any problem with DT but he advised to use a direct bank transfer.

I think this is not preferred by DT as they get additional charges that they would pass on.

I´m personally sure they are top and from the exchange they really know their stuff and were fairly instant on only giving me the correct product.

That said we all answer to someone and my No 1 is super paranoid and after the advice from my son and the open topic of cost, the fees were not clear plus import duties, I decided for speed to get an E-Prop from France.

That arrived in 3 days, looks super cool and on 1st test run up is silky smooth, only pointing out that my old prop is obviously not balanced so well. After warming up Moster accelerated smoothly to 8500rpm, it was so smooth I was convinced it was holding back and had to check the tacho!

I am absolutely not saying their is a problem with DT just a logistic when buying out of the comfort blanket of EU companies.

Maybe if they get a European distributor it will be another story although after the distribution charges maybe not so competitive.

The E-prop was a bit more but actually not so bad, 325 Euros with delivery, ordered Wednesday, arrived Friday morning.

A single DT carbon with tax and shipping would have been around 310 Euros.

There was also a bit of swag in the bag, who does not like a freebie! E-Prop sticker (now on helmet), desk ruler, nice cap and bag.

Here´s hoping that it has a long life, mostly dependant on my flying clearly :)

Dave

I like E-prop but they are very prone to leading edge wear at the beach. The end of the leading edge is so thin it HAS to have prop tape on for protection. I have the tape applied to the end 380 mm of each blade and the end 50 mm is a separate piece of tape. I do it like this because the end 50 mm wears out first (about 3 hours of flying) and I can then replace that part easily.  :)

Andy thanks for the tip on the tip :)

Not planning any low or beach flying however will get the tape on.

Q. Are people using longer bolts for E-Props?

I removed the rear spacer as the E-Prop hub seems much thicker than the original Scout and Parajet props.

Still plenty of space to the cooling cowling and cage just a question.

Dave