Thor 200. Problem with RPM

GerardTC

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, although I've been reading you for quite some time.

I am experiencing some issues with my Polini Thor 200.

When flying between 5100 and 5400 rpm the thrust is never constant. This only happens at this rpm range, so it's very annoying keeping level flight.

I guess the carburetor (PWK) has something to do with it. Any of you have experienced this issue with your paramotor?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Edited by GerardTC

Hi Gerard, 

The Thor 200 has to be the single most unreliable engine that I know to exist. I would highly recommend that you fit a temperature gauge if you have not already done so as they tend also to run hot. 

There are a couple of people who know loads about these engines and can most likely help. 

@MOSS has a repaid centre near Lambourn. He is on holiday at the moment but fire him a message and I am sure he will reply when home. 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club!! :-)

SW :D

13 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

Hi Gerard, 

The Thor 200 has to be the single most unreliable engine that I know to exist. I would highly recommend that you fit a temperature gauge if you have not already done so as they tend also to run hot. 

There are a couple of people who know loads about these engines and can most likely help. 

@MOSS has a repaid centre near Lambourn. He is on holiday at the moment but fire him a message and I am sure he will reply when home. 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club!! :-)

SW :D

I would have to disagree with the statement "single most unreliable engine"!  Is it flawless, No, are there some specific issues (flash starter) Yes. However I fly one, and many friends do also with great performance and reliability. It comes down to, on time maintenance and some TLC.

Hi there,

Today I changed the pilot and main jets. 

Previous combination was 48-142 and the new one is 45-140, more appropriate to the altitude and temperature I use to fly (300-700m, 15-25ºC)

However there's still more margin of adjustment by tightening or loosening the air screw. Can someone tell me how it works? Counter clockwise makes the mixture leaner?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your answer @Mark Morgan

I didn't find much information about the High Flow Kit for the Thor 200.

Some questions if you don't mind:

• Which carburetor does it mount? Does it leak fuel if not positioned vertically? Is it difficult to set (adjustments with mixture, idle, jets...)? The PWK is a nightmare...
  • Is the claimed temperature drop real? On my Thor 200 the spark temp ranges between 180 and 200ºC. Up to +230ºC at max RPM.
  • Is it easy to install with some mechanical knowledge and the right tools?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by GerardTC
misspelling

HF200 comes with PWK and easy to tune, like anything easy when you know how..  All PWK carb have a breather so will leak if you do not drain it. Saying that my 250 never leaks.  PWK is a much better carb than the Walbro for tuning. 

I think it's a very easy job.  it's just a new head, cowl, carb etc.. not rocket science.. But if your a monkey with tools then it might be worth getting someone to do it for you..