Training and BHPA

Hi. I am hoping to learn paramotoring. 

An intensive route would be best due to work and family commitments. 

One option near me is Brad Quinn up at Scunthorpe. Seems to get good reviews. My only hesitation is he doesn't follow the BHPA syllabus and as far as I can work out I wouldn't get a 'recognised' qualification. 

Assuming the training itself is good, which it appears to be, what is the downside with the lack of BHPA accreditation?

Insurance?

Being able to fly with others at other clubs?

Problems if the sport becomes more regulated in future?

Could do with some advice. Thanks in advance.

Just do your training wherever you prefer (visit the instructors would be my advice) and if you feel the need or want too, contact the BHPA after your training and join them :-)

It is unlikely that you would see any negative reviews here as it's not that kind of forum but I would suggest asking the same question on the UK paramotor facebook group or do a quick search of it. 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club! 

SW :D

IMO i think Si has been very Diplomatic in his answer, i know my views but having never trained with B Q not really fair to comment, and yes i also agree with Si put it on other open or frequented forum's, yes you'll get good and bad but at least you'll get a slightly better picture of who or what you might be getting into.

Brad Quin's training is rubbish. Really rubbish. I had a guy come to fly with me who had been Brad Quin trained and he was dangerous. He didn't even know basic safety rules for flying safely. I advised him to go and get some more training from a good instructor before he came to fly with me again.

Thanks all. I think I've guaged what I need to know. 😉

I've also got a PM from Simon and will have a chat with him soon. I'm based in Nottingham and intensive would work better for me logistically, but if I have to travel further afield then so be it. I'd probably have to do some hotel anyway even in Scunthorpe, so it doesn't really matter where I stay over I guess.

I'll also look into the courses abroad, mainly due to the great british weather. I'm between jobs at the moment, and this would have been an opportune time but on reflection it probably needs a wee bit more advance planning so will most likely have to wait until later in the year.

Thanks again.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, AndyB said:

got me fully qualified. 

To what?  Did you get the BHPA Pilot cert or Club Pilot or something?  I'm curious, because of course the BHPA would tell us all that their training 'qualifies' us with some sort of rating...which it emphatically doesn't.  But in pg they've rather stitched up most of the sites, so you're stuffed! (ive no axe to grind agin the BHPA by the way.  But I am curious...

I would enjoy training with Simon but must admit the call of the sunshine  strong in me it is...hmmm.

David

• Like 1

I trained to the APPI Pilot standard which is recognised by insurance companies as the same as BHPA Power. This is also an internationally recognised standard. You can see the full details of this and the other APPI training levels on the APPI website...

https://appippg.org/?APPI-PPG-Pilot-Course

Because the BHPA don't allow non BHPA pilots on their sites, I don't allow BHPA pilots on my sites. :)

Have fun, I'm off to Spain for 7 weeks now! Andy

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I trained to the APPI Pilot standard which is recognised by insurance companies as the same as BHPA Power. This is also an internationally recognised standard. You can see the full details of this and the other APPI training levels on the APPI website...

https://appippg.org/?APPI-PPG-Pilot-Course

Because the BHPA don't allow non BHPA pilots on their sites, I don't allow BHPA pilots on my sites. :)

Have fun, I'm off to Spain for 7 weeks now! Andy

Thanks Andy. 

2 hours ago, DavidG4 said:

To what?  Did you get the BHPA Pilot cert or Club Pilot or something?  I'm curious, because of course the BHPA would tell us all that their training 'qualifies' us with some sort of rating...which it emphatically doesn't.  But in pg they've rather stitched up most of the sites, so you're stuffed! (ive no axe to grind agin the BHPA by the way.  But I am curious...

I would say qualified in all that is necessary to be a safe and responsible pilot.

For all the newbies - There is a lot more than being able to handle the wing and the motor and actually getting your feet off the ground. Aviation comes with its particular set of risks and responsibilities, not least to be in compliance with all the regulations of the ANO.

This needs quite a lot of study, also understanding weather patterns has a very beneficial impact on the enjoyment of light flight. I started when the BMAA still had a paramotor syllabus, the PMC syllabus covers all bases.

Anyone can call a course a 'qualification' ? 

Qualification, rating, ticket, all the same thing (nothing) 

The only word that matters is Licence, and NO ONE can issue one of those, because it simply does not exist. 

PMC, BHPA, APPI all the same thing with slightly different syllabuses. 

If it's a qual you want, all of the people we have ever taught, just became PMC 'qualified' pilots :-)

SW :D

That's absolutely correct David, there isn't a recognised 'license' in the UK as PPG is deregulated.

In France PPG comes under the microlight (ULM) umbrella so a license is required and issued after the requisite training and exams. I have a French PPG license.

Welcome.

I am a relatively new pilot. I agree with Simon, train who you feel comfortable with and fits your training style. 

Personally, I trained with Brad Quinn and his training style worked well with me. Being in that circle, I have met and flown with many people who trained with him also.

With regards to what AndyB says, while with Brad I trained alongside another student who had come from another UK school who was told he was ready for his first flight, but he clearly couldn't kite. I think it happens both ways, not because there are bad trainers, but more because there has to be some connection/synergy between the tutor/student. Sorry AndyB 😘

Remember, this is a fun sport and training should be fun also!

• Like 1

Well maybe Brad has improved. The guy I refer to, trained by Brad, had not been taught even basic safety such as, 5 point harness check, reverse clip in, clear prop, agreeing which way to fly circuits etc, etc In essence all he had been taught was how to get into the air and landing was sketchy!  Also, a quick search on other Paramotor forums will give many, many similar feedbacks to mine. 

Remember, training should be fun....................but also safe!

Thanks Andy.

My experience was the opposite of this, but I can only speak of what I experienced at my time of training. July 18

On the other hand, there are people that have no patience or interest in learning, they just want the quick answers to getting in the air, and once they go flying on their own, all the etiquette, procedures and checks go out the window.

I'm in no way affiliated to Brad other than he trained me and that I have been back up to fly with him on a few occasions by the way :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lee Jackson said:

Really...seriously...? Just a tad puerile!

Totally agree. When was the last time we were all together and checked that the people we were having fun with were from the correct training tribe? Or religion? It's irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Lee Jackson said:

Really...seriously...? Just a tad puerile!

Really, seriously. I was joking, don't be so puerile! I live so far North that only one other pilot has ever visited! And, yes, he flew!

But more seriously, I cannot fly on any BHPA site because I am APPI trained, even though I have the same qualifications and insurance. Now that is REALLY pureile and very unfair.

Hi Andy, yes apologies, I wasn't trying to be contentious... but in this game everyone seems to be climbing over each other to get at each other - be it over a brand, technique and now apparently training affiliation. Personally I usually avoid said argumentative discussions... after all we clearly all already have something in common, regardless of whether I'm sat on a Parajet/flat top or whatever.

In this instance I was surprised to see someone actively proclaiming bias against a training affiliation, based upon retaliation rather than competency.

Personally I chose to 'upgrade' my training, as it had been left wanting (definitely partly my fault, some was my instructors... nobody on here). I therefore went to someone local to me and had some excellent training and then attained my BHPA power rating. Doing so only made me realise how little I really had been initially taught (or how little I'd listened). Either way doing the BHPA course made me a bit safer and less likely to stray into restricted airspace etc. I'm absolutely sure PMC and APPI are just as proficient.

I have no allegiance to the BHPA, nor any bias against anyone else. If people are well trained it is generally pretty evident. 

As for why the BHPA may not allow non BHPA people on to their sites... no idea (I didn't know they didn't). It could potentially be something to do with their membership/insurance, but I'm not going to speculate. If I'm not allowed onto someone's site due to my BHPA membership... meh, I'll live! So... sorry, genuinely nothing against you Andy. Its your land, you feel free to do as you wish.