Breaking in a My19 Moster185

Evening All,

I am a noob and I have ordered a new MY19 Moster 185 which will be added to my V3 frame, a part of the process will be breaking the engine in. I watched one of Tucker Gotts videos in which he strapped his unit to a tree to do the breaking in process to save hurting his back. I know there is varied thoughts on running engines on/off your back but keen to get people’s thoughts on strapping the unit to a tree for this process?

Thanks Dan

Dan I did much the same with my Moster and V3 to the amusement of the neighbours!

Probably something not to do on a Sunday morning and get a good set of ear defenders.

I also need to break in my MY19 as just fitted a new new to my Scout and will do it on my back at the airfield this time.

Its not such a big deal and the cycles are fairly short just find something you can lean into as on the full power you will need support.

I was also watching CHT like a hawk not it never went above 160C (I have the head duct and sure it helps keep it cool).

Don't skimp on the 2T oil, I am still running 40:1 as in the engine manual, plugs are cheep and easy to change.

I bet they loved you, I'm lucky enough to have some land that i can go and do the break-in procedure without upsetting too many people.

I will wear my helmet with ear protection as i would rather be safe than sorry :-).

Re the temperature of the engine during the process - is it worth taking my leaf blower and leaving it on tick over pointed at the engine to provide additional airflow for cooling or will the draw from the props be more than enough?

After spending a tidy penny on the kit I'm not going to be skimping on any of the consumables. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, funnydan85 said:

Evening All,

I am a noob and I have ordered a new MY19 Moster 185, I know there is varied thoughts on running engines on/off your back but keen to get people’s thoughts on strapping the unit to a tree for this process?

Thanks Dan

Dan, you'll not regret getting the Moster engine plenty of grunt and extremely reliable (in most cases), Starting the engine off your back is purely the safety side as numerous accidents have proved, do the run process as advised with right Oil quantities, but try finding a tree in a remote place so as not to cause problems, unless you can make a steel framework to hold it steady and have a friendly field you could use.

IMO trying to do break in whilst wearing it has more safety aspects than i care to find out, as there's easy ways to do it and the whole process takes about 2 hours.

Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, funnydan85 said:

Re the temperature of the engine during the process - is it worth taking my leaf blower and leaving it on tick over pointed at the engine to provide additional airflow for cooling or will the draw from the props be more than enough?

After spending a tidy penny on the kit I'm not going to be skimping on any of the consumables. :)

The person what trains me sells bulldog paramotors and complete paramotor without harness gets bolted into a metal frame, and not had 1 yet overheat during break in period, but they are always attached with Stopwatch, rev counter and temperature gauge.

I managed to find somewhere quiet to do the break-in and did it on my back. Back ached by the end of it but I'd much rather that than a couple of fingers lost from running it 'loose'. The tree method is probably ok if you know what you're doing - but as a newbie, I didn't want to risk it - one accidental quick roll-on or off of the throttle could be enough torque to shift it out of position. 

Agree with the comments above that helmet and ear protection are absolute musts for the break-in procedure, as well as a surface you can get a good footing on.  

Happy flighting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2019 at 14:40, AndyB said:

Don't you just sit on the floor with it on your back? I did and it worked great. Just need something to push your feet against when going to full power or you slide along the ground!

i would be a little worried about catching the prop, but it does sound like a back-saving technique. 

15 hours ago, funnydan85 said:

i would be a little worried about catching the prop, but it does sound like a back-saving technique. 

HI,

In my NItro the seat is just a little higher than the ground. When sat it in it naturally pulls the machine slightly forward, so it leans over. This keeps the prop well clear of the floor.

With my Tornado, the seat is much higher than the ground and the only way to sit on it is to out a box under the seat. On the Tornado the prop is very close to the ground, it is the way the frame is made. The prop is only kept clear of the ground if I deliberately pull the shoulder straps and lean forward.