Slots in cages...why?

DavidG4

Just watching Paranoobs heavy-weight take off video (v good) and noticed that his cage and net have big slots in them...the slots through which hands have been pulled and then chopped to bone and flesh.  Why?  Why are these slots still there?  Im not criticising Paranoob, I am genuinely asking.  Why aren't the props fully caged and netted to save hands?

David

The nets primary role is stopping stuff going into the prop while flying. It is not really trying to stop hands going in since, in flight, it is quite difficult to reach your hand behind you far enough to meet up with the prop.

The one area where it can go horribly wrong is when the throttle cable has not been shortened to the correct length and it is held without looping the cable over the forearm. In one case a guy tripped while running and as he fell the slack cable went through one of those net gaps and then the prop pulled his hand in.

Yes,I appreciate that, but surely they dont need to be slots.  Are they dont cosmetic? Do engine cage designers Have to sell cages so make them look flashy?  And why, if they are necessary, don't the nets go all the way over to stop throttle cables being pulled in. ?

1 hour ago, DavidG4 said:

And why, if they are necessary, don't the nets go all the way over to stop throttle cables being pulled in. ?

If you always run the throttle cable over the top of your forearm and have the cable the correct length for your arm, then there is no issue.

The AC Nitro that I have has continuous netting. There are no holes in the netting, other than down at the bottom, where you can't drop something through it anyway.

Pretty sure its a design compromise.
In order to avoid redundancy, the cage quarters have no vertical leg upon which to attach the net in permanent net setups.
Instead, that leg is off to one side at the point most likely to take an impact in a stumble (protecting the ring and prop)
I lace that gap up on mine as I have also seen those photos :(

If you like holes in the netting, check http://papteam.com/paramotor_tinox/?lang=en. Big holes all over. However, I wonder why netting is needed anyway. One shouldn't start the engine on the ground anyway, and except for the throttle, nothing is going in the prop. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I do not see a serious security issue with no netting at all...

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2019 at 11:22, FrankNL said:

If you like holes in the netting, check http://papteam.com/paramotor_tinox/?lang=en. Big holes all over. However, I wonder why netting is needed anyway. One shouldn't start the engine on the ground anyway, and except for the throttle, nothing is going in the prop. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I do not see a serious security issue with no netting at all...

If a brake toggle meets the prop, you will die unless you have a reserve... if you can even manage to throw it. 

Edited by KarmaCommando

On 5/3/2019 at 11:05 PM, KarmaCommando said:

If a brake toggle meets the prop, you will die unless you have a reserve... if you can even manage to throw it. 

Is that even possible?  Can a brake toggle reach the prop arc???

I was flying in Kent approx 1000 feet up  and as I applied the speed bar I heard the noise . I saw the handle dangling above and beyond  the hoop . I came off the speed bar .The brake handle had been cut but not completely. Once home I removed the speed bar , sent the wing for repair and I have not used a speed bar since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2019 at 15:40, Mitch130 said:

I was flying in Kent approx 1000 feet up  and as I applied the speed bar I heard the noise . I saw the handle dangling above and beyond  the hoop . I came off the speed bar .The brake handle had been cut but not completely. Once home I removed the speed bar , sent the wing for repair and I have not used a speed bar since.

I'm guessing you have a low hang point with a closer to nuetral thrust angle?

That would be a new underwear flight.

My paramotor has mid hang point "s" bars .The thrust angle is as recommended  . Just the application of the speed bar was enough to tilt me forward a little to much   .I have since adjusted the hang point so I tilt back a little further.

I've nototiced on some videos that the throttle cable appears to be a bit too long (granted I have no yet owned a Paramotor so it's just visual observation).    The Flat Top for example.

Can the throttle cable be shortened a bit?