Radio and Comms

Chaps

Inspired by Paranoob I will upgrade my comms.

I think the PM-100 with BT for my phone looks to be ok for my use, I already have a Sena setup that is not really working so well, not enough volume.

Does anyone know if the sena still needs a cable or do I drop it altogether and BT direct to phone?

I do have the Sena Gopro back but not critical for me.

For radio looking at the Yaesu FTA 550 but not sure I'll ever need the features it has over the FTA-450, anyone got any input?

Would also be good to be able to plug in my PMR Motorolla for the ground crew (read wife) as the set I have is ok.

Dave

Nvolo do 2m and airband in one headset and can include bluetooth and GoPro connect... 2m with be in the left ear cup and airband in the right all coming through the same speakers. I have to say i am a dealer for Nvolo in the UK but i gave up on coms years ago until i got these units in so far everyone who has bought one has been very impressed with them including me and i am not easily impressed! Music Volume is also much better than my Senna SMH10R's i have 

Thanks for info, I'm based near Munich and never herd of Nvolo before.

Do you have a link so I can take a look?

The Yaesu seems solid, I was lent one last week but marginally big, that said if I go to the 550 I can swap out with my Garmin GPS as it has that function and can live on my flight deck.

Short term I am waiting feedback from German Microavionics team (also no feedback from UK team) for the headset, i already have a good helmet so just the PM-100 with BT.

Now however I will take a look, it i find it, at the Nvolo option.

• 4 weeks later...

Update Yaesu 550 radio arrived.

Microavionics PM100 also arrived.

Audio quality very good and worked out of the box.

BT setup easy and no problems pairing my old iPhone 6s.

Music quality much better them my Sena system so I think you get what you pay for.

I will add a 2nd PMR radio for pilot to ground crew (read wife) and happy the Microavionics can manage this with just a cable.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 21:00, e2vdavidb said:

Update Yaesu 550 radio arrived.

Microavionics PM100 also arrived.

Audio quality very good and worked out of the box.

BT setup easy and no problems pairing my old iPhone 6s.

Music quality much better them my Sena system so I think you get what you pay for.

I will add a 2nd PMR radio for pilot to ground crew (read wife) and happy the Microavionics can manage this with just a cable.

Eddie from MicroAvionics here. I'm glad you like your new PM100 headset, For sure you will enjoy the features... there are plenty. Personally I like the Stereo music, but others like the duplex audio recording and the fact that you can configure the headset for virtually any radio with the internal switches. Enjoy!!

On 02/04/2019 at 16:02, paul_grover said:

Hi Dave 

Interesting - I have just asked Clive Mason (he's a microavionics dealer) a similar question as I'm coming into contact with much more GA where I fly from more regularly now. I was looking at the Yaesu 250L as it looks smaller.

Paul

Eddie from MicroAvionics here. A late reply fo you, but the Yaesu radios are the best airband to go for. FTA 250L is a great small compact and would probably be my choice.

• Like 1

Hi Eddie

I ended with the FTA550L as good a good offer at the Aero expo this year.

I would like to use a 2nd radio, Motorolla T80 PMR, and see there is a option for 2nd radio cable.

Not much in the way of manuals or guides so how does this work?

Are both radios enabled or is it 1 at a time?

How does the PTT work?

I have the Yaesu for airband to be airspace aware but want to use the PMR for pilot to pilot or pilot to wife.

Maybe there is a good guide somewhere but I dont see it from the site.

Dave

18 hours ago, e2vdavidb said:

Hi Eddie

I ended with the FTA550L as good a good offer at the Aero expo this year.

I would like to use a 2nd radio, Motorolla T80 PMR, and see there is a option for 2nd radio cable.

Not much in the way of manuals or guides so how does this work?

Are both radios enabled or is it 1 at a time?

How does the PTT work?

I have the Yaesu for airband to be airspace aware but want to use the PMR for pilot to pilot or pilot to wife.

Maybe there is a good guide somewhere but I dont see it from the site.

Dave

If you want to use two radios at the same time, then the master radio uses the PTT on the headset. THe secondary radio used the radio's PTT. This is our standard system, however, we can supply a cable that connects to an externally wired PTT. There is a muting system on the headset, so the master radio will mute tha audio from the secondary radio.

On 29/04/2019 at 18:29, e2vdavidb said:

MP002 cable ordered through Microavionics.de

Now come on sunshine!

Dave

BTW Eddie, 1 small point, why do the PM100 ship with large plastic bolt? Luckily I had the correct one from the headset with the rubber grommet.

We usually supply and fit the headsets to the helmet. But in your case it is a self fit. There are many different bolt sizes or fixing systems, so for self fit we just provide one nut and bolt. Usually the M6 bolt fits the majority of helmets but sometimes you need M5.