Syphon recommendations.

Can anyone recommend a good quality fuel syphon for dispensing from jerry can to motor?

Ebay is just full of Chinese crap.

I`m fed up with buying stuff that develops air leaks and makes dispensing frustrating, and no jiggle syphons, please!

The classic type with the rigid diptube, flexible outlet and a squeeze bulb at the top are ideal, but i`d like a good one.

Cheers.

Autglym ..Had  one of there dispensing syphons for a few years now and still leak free I think it was about £7  trade price ,moves 10 litres in no time at all   What can you say does the job perfectly. Ps not sure about it's origins

Yep. I have had zero carb problems so far and I'm sure it is down to being anal about cleanliness when refueling. The Mr Funnel and the jerry can spout are kept wrapped up in plastic bags and never left out.....as fuel dries it leaves a tacky surface that attracts dust! 

Nah, it`ll have to be a syphon, i`ve tried decanting straight into the tanks with a spout on the jerry can and fuel went everywhere!

It`s difficult to hold a 20L, 10kg+ jerry can steady enough to pour accurately and slowly enough to fill the tanks on the Bulldog. A funnel would also obscure my view of the fuel level so i wouldn`t know how much more to pour in. I must admit, the tanks on the Bulldog aren`t the easiest to fill up having the harness in front of the filler caps, and i like to fill them to the brim on all flights (unless i know i`m going for a cheeky sub-1-hour second flight of the day for instance).

I`m off for a ride on my motorbicycle to visit MachineMart, they look like they do an OK syphon.

Geoff, i can`t find anything on`t web about an Autoglym syphon, only car polish..

Got a pic or link?

I did get one from MM and it`s bloody massive! For 200 litre drums..

Since buying it though i`ve also ordered a brass ball valve with lever which i`m going to install in the side of my metal jerry can and just let gravity do the work via an attached hose. Shoulda` thought of that first before all this petrol-related palarver and decanting dilemmas...

Edited by Hann__

• 2 weeks later...

I am now using a sealey Jerry can fuel syphon its battery powered and is absolutely fantastic and easy to use, no more spilling etc. It even has auto cut off.  Best bit of kit I have bought in years.

ebay for £18.00

We are all using them for our Paramotors here in Kent

43 minutes ago, hadders said:

I am now using a sealey Jerry can fuel syphon its battery powered and is absolutely fantastic and easy to use, no more spilling etc. It even has auto cut off.  Best bit of kit I have bought in years.

ebay for £18.00

We are all using them for our Paramotors here in Kent

Same here, it's a perfect solution - providing you only want to transfer fuel into the paramotor and not from the paramotor into a jerry can. I've had mine a couple of years and it has never let me down. 

2 hours ago, hadders said:

I cant see why not I recently emptied my boat's old fuel can back into the jerry can so I could refresh the fuel. The Sealy works both ways filling and emptying.

Doesn't fit in the tank of my paramotors or a regular fuel can, only jerry cans (which is what it's designed for). 

I'm not sure what the last post means regarding this - but to be clear, the Sealey pump is very good. It has a large suction end which fits into a jerry can (any capacity) and transfers fuel via its smaller diameter flexible hose. The suction end is too large to fit regular plastic petrol cans or paramotor fuel tanks so can't be used for removing fuel from them. 

Hi Guys

Sorry but my Sealey which I only just bought does fit into my standard 5 litre fuel can and transfers the fuel easily. I only use a 5 litre can when Paramotoring. It is less than an inch wide so should slide into any normal size container.

Regards

David

Interesting, mine won't fit into two different types of plastic cans, one 5L bought from a petrol station and one 10 litre from Amazon. Wonder if the pump specs have changed since I bought mine? Or (more likely) petrol cans don't have a standard opening size. 

The pump comes with a sheath designed to mount onto jerry cans which is a nice touch and collects any fuel drips afterwards so definitely recommend the jerry can option. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did see those battery operated pumps but thought they looked a bit gimmicky/cheap and potentially unreliable so gave them a miss. Not keen on replacing batteries often, either. Pleased to hear that they`re doing a good job, though.

In the end i went for the simple approach - a tap on the side of the jerry can and let gravity do the work. Simple, effective, quick and controllable;

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

I`m now of to the field for an unexpected flight, weather`s lookin` good.

Hann.