New Moster 185 noise?

Rick5123

I don't have a Moster but I do have paramotors with belt drives. That sounds like the noise the belt makes when it is either out of line or over-tight, or both. A tight belt is very good at amplifying sounds. When too tight the edges of the belt are stressing against the grooves in the drive pulley. The noise you hear may be caused by the resulting vibration. You can check your belt tension using a simple noise app that measures sound frequency. Just 'twanging' the belt will produce a noise. The tighter the belt, the high frequency the 'twang' is. 

Vittorazi Moster Plus with a 13 rib Optibelt - 430-450Hz no lower than 370Hz and 500Hz would be very bad! Vittorazi Moster Classic and Silent with a Gates 15 rib belt 450-470Hz plus or minus 60/70 A good iPhone app is Tension2Go, seems to work pretty well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulLewis said:

Mine sounds exactly like that when I put a bit of "belt dressing" spray on it. It remains slightly tacky and stops belt slip at lower tensions. The factory may well have used some.

If your belt is tension-ed right you should not need "belt dressing spray" and especially as materials now used to make the belts are vastly improved and better quality, in days gone by they used the spray as belts would harden and dry out and start to slip, but belts have changed and improved.

Plus you say lower tensions but the pulleys once adjusted are set at fixed points, and the belt also runs to a + or - tolerance and if your doing the visual and maintenance checks that's all is needed.

not 

18 hours ago, kiwi k said:

If your belt is tension-ed right you should not need "belt dressing spray" and especially as materials now used to make the belts are vastly improved and better quality, in days gone by they used the spray as belts would harden and dry out and start to slip, but belts have changed and improved.

Plus you say lower tensions but the pulleys once adjusted are set at fixed points, and the belt also runs to a + or - tolerance and if your doing the visual and maintenance checks that's all is needed.

Yeah I've read similar advice from manufactures that it shouldn't be required and I'm not advocating anyone copies me (although it did solve an issue for me where i was getting some slip at peak revs even when correctly tensioned with the manufactures tool).

I'm just offering the OP a possible explanation as to how a belt makes the sound he questioned.

• 2 months later...

I used to work as an engineer for a fan belt automatic tensioner manufacturer for the global automotive trade.  I can't help in this case but for general info if a belt is out of alighnment by more than 1/3 of a degree between pulleys then it will make a constant chirp, chip chirp sound.  If it is incorrectly tensioned (too loose) it will squeal as load is applied. e.g. power steering demand on turning steering wheel.  Correct tension will allow proper power transmisssion and there is no need for any belt dressing or other spray.  The ribs on the belt should be correctly speced to the profile of the pulley which as an oem should do in design.  The main belt manufacturers are very competent and belts in our paramotoring world are just a spin off from the millions they sell into the automotive world, just significantly shorter.

• 1 year later...

I also have an issue with either the belt or pulley on my new Vittorazi Moster 185 engine.

My Moster has done just over 1.5hrs, as in Rick’s case. I haven’t flown my Maverick yet just used run through my first 5lt of 2-stroke.

I’ve checked the belt with an Easy Tension frequency app which is within range at: 446.9 Hz 

I’ve but a straight edge across the pulleys and they are in alignment.

I’m going to take the belt off an re-tension using - 4.5kg weigh, hopefully that will do the trick.

if anyone else has experienced this issue I would be interested in how they fixed it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Evening, I recently had same noisy belt problem, not a moster but same set up and found that using a straight edge to line up the pulleys wasn’t the way to go , the grooves  were a hairs breath out of line, I set mine manually while turning prop hub till it went quiet then set the tension , 

I notice that the belt is branded `Optibelt` - rather than the Gates that they used to fit.

Anyone with a newish Moster that can provide noise and longevity feedback?

I once tried a belt other than Gates (sourced from a reputable bearing supplier) and it was totally and comprehensively crap - very noisy and lasted only a few hours before it started falling to bits..

Try a Gates if fiddling about with alignment doesn`t work and the noise still bothers you.