Saudi Fly in.

Ref Saudi Fly in on the other thread.....

I am up for it!

If we can work out the logistics I am up for a Saudi Fly in for sure.

SW :D

• 1 month later...

From discussions I've had on this subject I think the club would be more than willing to hold an event like this, however the logistics would be daunting and therefore it would be useful to know how many people from outside KSA would be interested. Therefore anyone interested please let me know & spread the word. The best time for an event would be after Hadj which is the beginning of December this year so I would think early in the New Year would be ideal.

Alan

The following Itinerary has been suggested

Day 1 Arrive Riyadh

Day 2 Prepare for flight to Al-Soman Desert

Day 3 Fly (Paramotor) to desert and return for flight (Commercial or private) to Jeddah

Day 4&5 Flying on Jeddah Beach

Day 6 Fly (Paramotor) to Jizzan

Day 7 Fly (Paramotor) round Farasan islands

Day 8 Back to Riyadh

Day 9 Farewell flying (Paramotor) party

Day 10 Depart Riyadh.

Flights and accommodation in KSA will be provided free. Accommodation in Riyadh will be in (nice) tents at Thumama park (Civil Aviation Club) and in Jeddah in the Al-Dorrah chalets.

If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas please let me know.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

We have looked at dates and mid Jan would seem to be the best time but we are flexible on this and if you would prefer another date let me know so we can come up with dates that are acceptable to everyone interested in coming.

For those that wish to come to the fly in we need two passport photographs and copy of your passport valid for the time of travel and I will also need a list of equipment you intend to bring so the club can get a letter raised to ensure no problem with customs. I've been asked to cap the numbers at 6 max but if there are one or two more I'm sure we can accommodate. I'll send a PM to those that have already shown interest with my address in UK to send your details to.

If there is anyone else interested please let me know soonest so we can finalise the paperwork.

Alan

P.S. I would respectfully ask that there are no time wasters as the work involved in dealing with the authorities here is significant and any changes to the list of people coming once finalised will be difficult.

Without wishing to be a damp squib but... transporting electric paramotors on airline flights is likely to be very problematic as batteries are a significant headache as they are classified as dangerous goods by IATA. I advised John Kemp for his Paramotor Tour Thailand last year in conjunction with the IATA Dangerous Goods manual and my company's cargo division and we concluded that for electric start petrol paramotors you were better off buying a new battery pack from a model shop wherever you were going than trying to take your existing ones. Of course pull start removes this issue but an electric propulsion system could be very difficult.

Why would anyone object to carrying Li-Pol batteries on their airliner????

Joking aside, it must be possible to transport an electric paramotor on an aircraft. How did Giles get the ePac back here from China to fly at the UK nationals?

What diud he use to set it off?

And Ref UK Nats, E-pac from China...

It was sent in the post.... (air freight now you mention it, although likely that there was a shed load of paperwork)

Happy to stick one in the post a few days before going out... :D £90 gets you a motor sent to Saudi from the UK with DHL. £180 return ticket for your motor.

SW :D

Should have used this link instead

He shorted it out with his knife, which he hit with a hammer!!

Don't know that I'd want to be that close when it went off, but then he is a self professed highly skilled idiot!!

Best regards,

Ian.

Ian, the difference is whether the items are declared as Dangerous Goods or not. If not then the law is being broken, if properly declared then complying with the regs becomes very expensive. Having had someone forge my signature to illegally try to get a huge quantity of rocket fuel on board a flight of mine from Jo'burg to London a couple of years ago I take rather a close look at what is loaded these days.

Simon, is that price a quoted figure for a generic item the weight of a paramotor or a declared internal combustion engine and battery pack?

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I fancy this, I may only have enough holiday/£££ for a 7 day not a 10 day trip, but I'm still keen.

So what are the 'safe' options to get our paramotors out there?

Arrange for a new battery (and tank?) to be in Saudi and take it on the plane as luggage?

Arrange for a new battery (and tank?) to be in Saudi and post it the week before?

Find a buyer for new 'just' second hand Parajets (or ???), deliver and use them, but not bring them back?

Get the MOD to deliver it?;-)

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Paul

I'm not sure of the regulations for air transportation but they can either travel with you as baggage or they can be sent in advance as air cargo. The club will arrange customs clearance. Unfortunately we don't have parajets here but I have a spare tank for a PAP (new style) that could be used and the club use HE and they have tanks for those. Batteries shouldn't be an issue to obtain here as long as they are not special to type.

I do fancy the idea though of getting a second hand parajet!

I'm trying to get prices for flights and I'm going to talk to BMI to see if we can get a package deal. We are also trying to ensure that the only cost to yourselves will be the international ticket element and the cost to get your equipment here. The internal flights, accommodation, food etc should all be free. So as long as you can spare the time there should not be any cost difference but even if you can only make it for 7 days it should be worth it.

I'll keep this post updated with the latest info.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...