Ok here goes...!

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had a few more flights on my new wing now. 
mostly ass or knees landings 🙁

however we went to Paul’s field last Friday evening. It was a surprise to get a decent day so met up with Paul and dave. 
off we went up and around Nuneaton for an hours flight. Came down with a nice long approach into a decent wind and got my foot landing. Very pleased after a period of messing up all my landings. 
So I decided to get a practice - took off with a slightly lopsided reverse for a 5 min flight then came in to land - on my feet again!

So I had another one. Less wind and forward launch then straight in to come in too fast for my old legs. I think I timed my flare wrong and got dropped then fell on my knees. 

then pail and I went up for a last flight. Had 15 mins with a bit of low flying over the fields and came in for yet another foot landing 🙂

One evening, 4 flights and 3 foot landings. I’ll accept that. 

here’s a couple of videos of the evening. 
the falling one is Paul not me 😂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a couple of flights since my last update. Most notable was that I went with my partner in a camper van and spent 2 weeks driving the NC500 in Scotland. took my paramotor kit with me hoping to get a couple of flights in but that was a bit optimistic. However when I was at the very North West of Scotland, Durness, I got a short flight when there was a window of opportunity.
We were camped at Sango Sands campsite which is at the top of the cliffs and the wind dropped.Forecast showed a flyable wind for a while - bearing in mind the location is near mountains so I was being careful about wind strength and direction.
So, with something like 6-8mph inshore wind, I took my wing to a clifftop field next door to see how it felt. The wind was coming in nicely off the sea with an easy reverse launch acheivable. So I went and got my motor and got ready. I was a bit apprehensive being on the top of a cliff and relatively close to mountains. I set my wing up as far back as I could giving me room to get up OK especially with reverse. Deep breath, wing up, turn, run. Up I went and turned left before I went over the cliff edge which may have freaked me out :lol: 

I only got half hour as the wind picked up a bit and I was still wary of the mountain turbulence. But oh what a view! Simply amazing! A Bit disappointed I didn't get more flying time.
I flew over the campsite and around the coast a bit just staying local and up to around 2500ft. When I felt the wind pick up and change direction a bit I came down happy that I'd got up even if it was only a short one. Easy approach and landing on my feet in a football field behind the launch field. (I could have taken off here but it was closer to houses and didn't want to annoy anyone)

I've got some video footage but haven't had time to edit it. Ill add it to this thread later. FOr now here's a couple of frames from the GoPro. Happy times :D 

lochs.png

sango.png

smoo cave.png

Balnakeil Beach.png

amazing.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, richjones said:

6-8mph inshore wind, I took my wing to a clifftop

Cliffs are a pain in the ass and mountains are intimidating :)
The rotor behind a cliff can be worse the further back you go but i would think in 6-8mph, it would be more taxing than dangerous and it would depend on how tall and sheer the cliff is.
I have always found cliff launches pretty stressful... There are a lot of random variables until you clear the edge.

Always fancied flying the west of Scotland... But the gap between a lazy meander and white knuckle pandemonium in such a place is a touch narrow for a pussy like me :)

Hard to beat the view though... A mindboggling place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Cliffs are a pain in the ass and mountains are intimidating :)
The rotor behind a cliff can be worse the further back you go but i would think in 6-8mph, it would be more taxing than dangerous and it would depend on how tall and sheer the cliff is.
I have always found cliff launches pretty stressful... There are a lot of random variables until you clear the edge.

Always fancied flying the west of Scotland... But the gap between a lazy meander and white knuckle pandemonium in such a place is a touch narrow for a pussy like me :)

Hard to beat the view though... A mindboggling place!

Yeah I was cautious and kept away from both really. 
Mir was a short but brilliant flight. Such views 😊

Just had a look at where you where... Kearviag bay is just 8 miles west of you there.
I have often dreamed of landing on that beach for the night but the Scottish weather might pin you down for a while if you get it wrong.
A woman starved to death in that bothy (pinned by winter weather)... I doubt there are many more isolated spots in the UK
A sad end but I can understand why she picked the spot!

44 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Just had a look at where you where... Kearviag bay is just 8 miles west of you there.
I have often dreamed of landing on that beach for the night but the Scottish weather might pin you down for a while if you get it wrong.
A woman starved to death in that bothy (pinned by winter weather)... I doubt there are many more isolated spots in the UK
A sad end but I can understand why she picked the spot!

Lol just had a look and yes pretty isolated. I bet it’s a good long walk to the nearest people.
I do wish it had been more stable weather because I’d have loved a long flight but I’m glad to have just flown at all. 

• 2 weeks later...