Ok here goes...!

4 hours ago, alan_k said:

'apart from that it was lovely', that made me grin.

Unfortunately we all have off days, was at the field on Monday, wind was twitching around then dropped to almost nothing. OK I thought go for a nil wind launch, a gust caught me and took the wing sideways. Hit the kill switch but was rolled sideways and ended up with a distorted cage quarter.

Oh well.

Yeah we just have to put up with the off days don’t we. It’s still fun just with added frustration. 

oh and yes to top it off my exhaust fell apart flying home. 

88DB20E0-D181-4992-873B-06E9ADB24A94.jpeg

Well when I saw today’s forecast I had to get the exhaust repaired sharpish!

good friends in the paramotor world! I needed a new baffle in the silencer as it had broken into several bits. I’ve ordered one from a bike shop but not in time to fly today. Paul page came to my rescue and offered to repair it today, so I dropped it off with him this morning (Monday) (I know I’m writing this after midnight so strictly speaking it was yesterday!)

he drilled loads of holes in a tube and reassembled by silencer. Winner 😁

so.... met paul and Richard at the field to fly around 7pm. Noticed thunder forecast for 9pm so wanted to see if we could get up or not. And I got my exhaust bolted together at the field. 
wind was very low, clouds looked friendly and sun was shining so we went for it. Forward launch, long run and seemed to be little lift, I was very low before the wing finally woke up and took me up. Probably jumped in the seat a little early which I haven’t done for ages. 
Had a lovely flight of about 40 mins then came back in - it was getting a little windy and it seemed I was being circled by a police helicopter!!  Had a couple of other Paramotors join us for a few mins too, so 5 of us flying around Tamworth. No thunderstorm here but Birmingham, Rugeley and possibly Nuneaton areas looked as if they were getting a good hammering of rain. Great to see from the sky. We were constantly aware of the surrounding and upwind clouds just in case. Anyway came in to land, fast with little wind. Brakes, flare, too much and up again, down again, on my feet the fell over on my knees. Almost got it!

chatted for a bit then I had 3 litres of fuel in so went up for a 20 min flight. This was 9pm. Easier take off, forward. Had a little meander round fields at about 5-600ft and got some photos of Richard. Really lovely and smooth flight, wishing I’d got more fuel lol

we all came back about the same time, Richard landed  first and I came in straight behind him, long, fast and onto my feet 😁

who mentioned arse landings? Not here!

The thunder arrived from the east about half an hour after we landed and we sat chatting, having a beer until almost 11pm  

two lovely flights, beer and chatting to mates. What a great evening  

925B666B-95B5-49F0-8564-282744903D91.jpeg

B35321FA-37A3-48D8-BAFE-E6B9AFC6D305.jpeg

6FE05B95-5B2B-4954-B889-B3981225A011.jpeg

C92B40FD-A9FA-4A51-99F1-EDCADDA2F166.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I like to think I’m always learning.... sometimes it feels like I’m going backwards. 
Got out in Tamworth last Thursday 2nd July for a couple of evening flights. 
Brad Quinn was at the field who I’d never met before which may contribute to my performance on the day. Maybe. 

having had forecast rain around 5pm I was at the field around 6 and we chatted while waiting for flying time. Almost nil wind but some rain clouds about and still a bit warm. 
Decided to fly around 7pm and I’d forgotten how much running is needed on a nil wind take off! My first attempt was rubbish, I didn’t get the wing nearly high enough. My second attempt I didn’t run enough. My third attempt I don’t even know!! The wind changed direction every time and I had to move my wing to take off in a different direction each time. It was hot work! Brad was near me watching and talking to me too and I think I went back to student mode, not liking being watched. It certainly didn’t help though it’s only me failing the launches. 
Anyhow, new direction, fourth go I got up, don’t know what all the fuss was about. 

After all that fuss you’d think I would enjoy myself but no.. it wasn’t thermic but proximity of the dark clouds was enough to make the ride a bumpy one. I didn’t like being near them and I could feel the effect of the air moving around them. So I did a small circuit and came in to land after 20 mins. My approach was good, there were plenty of people in the field to watch me land in my arse but I denied them all! Lovely landing on my feet 😁

Gave it an hour or so and went up again. 
Yet another failed launch! Just didn’t get the wing overhead and it dropped to the side.  Next go I was straight up, no messing. Me and Paul went towards tamworth town and around the M42 area. Someone local sent us a photo and I got some gopro footage and actually made a video. 
I like to think I’m pushing myself a bit more each flight if I can - I got closer to paul than I’ve ever been in flight before I think Not close but close enough for me for now. 
I also came down low a couple of times to fly over the fields. Only down to about 10-20 feet. Not something I do normally as I’m more than happy up looking at the views but I fancied a go. 

i lost sight of paul so flew about for a bit and then headed back. I came down low again to see the windsock and just testing myself, then went around to approach for landing. Now the wind was almost nil so no issues except it would be fast. The direction had been changing all evening. There was a fire in the next field showing wind direction different to the windsock, but I went with the windsock and came in fast, feet down, run ya bigger! Got it again! On my feet 😁

I watched Paul come in straight after me landing at 90 degrees different. When chatting he decided to reveal he’d clipped the windsock earlier and it was just leaning one way so not showing the wind. The smoke was true.  Another lesson! I’m sure if there had been a bit of wind the sock would have moved anyhow but these little hiccups make you aware for next the future. 
short video for this one below, and a couple photos paul got of me. It was a lovely flight 😊

Not happy with 4 failed launches in one day as that now bring my total to 16 since I started  I’m normally better than that. 
I’m up to 56 flights and around 41 hours flying time now. Still a beginner I think 🙂

AC84322E-F5D8-4CAA-BA97-F89C4DABE3D8.png

91EEA39C-DC9D-4E3F-B7BD-BAB4744F2048.png

Sometimes I don’t know whether I’m advancing or going back to novice!!

One evening, 2 props (one mine), 3 failed launches, turbulent flying and flying in the dark 😮

How not to plan your XC ....

Sunday’s forecast was perfect for flying early and late. I got to Paul’s field about 5 and started setting up. The wind was mild but changeable. We had decided to fly from Tamworth down to Clive’s at Market Harborough, have a break and fly back. Usually this is very doable in an evening of light wind. 

Setting up I found my engine cut off didn’t work so i had to bodge it so I could short the wires on my throttle cable to cut engine. Not convenient but worked. 

We set up to fly about 6 knowing it was going to be a bit thermic after a hot sunny day. Paul got up ok forward launch. I didn’t! 

Almost nil wind my wing came up a bit off centre which I corrected and then ran. I wasn’t sure I was going to get up as it wasn’t lifting (or I wasn’t running enough) but just as I got lifted for some dumb reason I loosed the throttle. Face planted into the ground. Busted prop and chewed up net. 

Tied the net up with some line Paul had, and he had a spare prop which had previously had a big repair but hadn’t been tested. So, thought I, I’ll use this and get a new one off Clive at the field. 

By this time the farmers family had come to watch and add to the pressure 😂

Tested the prop and it seemed ok so went for it. A bit of wind this time and Paul reverses easily. I clipped in and went for a reverse which went like a dream with the audience, and off we went 🙂

The flight there was easy, a little turbulent but not too bad. Took 52 minutes and got to Marston about 7.45pm

I circled waiting for the field to clear as it was a busy evening then came in only to land on my feet! Getting good at this now 😂

Unfortunately I couldn’t cut my engine until I landed so had to let the wing come down in front of me landing all over another pilot (Nigel I think) 

Checked the prop and found it had a crack straight across it!! 

So I got a lift to Clives house and got a new prop from his wife, got back and swapped it over to fly home. 

Nil wind. Hopeless!

Two failed forward launches, so hot!! 

Third try I put a bit of power to help the wing inflate and got off ok. 

Headed for home and it was a lovely flight. But I hadn’t got up until 9pm and with sunset at 9.26 we were pushing it to get back within half hour after sunset. 

Anyhow we got going, then soon after going over the m69, about half way, it got bumpy. Really bumpy! To the point I pulled my trimmers in to get on the brakes a couple of times. 

I was only getting about 12mph and it was getting darker. I could see Paul’s strobes in front. Then my radio died too. 

Whether to land out and arrange a lift, or whether to push on hoping it wouldn’t be to dark is a difficult decision. We opted to push on. And on. And on... 

Eventually some of the familiar landmarks became visible and gradually we got back to the farm. Paul landed a little cross wind, couldn’t see the windsock (or anything else) from the air. He tried to call me on the radio and I could hear but couldn’t reply but he said which direction to land anyhow which was good. 

Came in, slippery condensation on the grass and landed on my arse! Back to normal 😂

It was only then I really realised the time, about 10.30 pm 😮

No bother, got the wings off the wet grass, had a beer, went home. 

Would I do anything different ? Perhaps not go the distance so late - but we didn’t know I’d get delayed going to clives for a prop.

Journey back with headwind - perhaps shouldn’t have gone until the wind was the other way. But it was forecast a lot lower than we felt. 

Should we have landed out? Probably. But making the decision to carry on wasn’t terrible. We could just see enough to find the field and to land. Balance that against landing in a strange field with the danger of wires etc etc and I’m happy enough we made it ok. In future we’ll plan better. 

I don’t know whether it was scary or exciting flying in the dark but I don’t want to do it again!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very honest report Rich, respect for that.

Treat every flight as a learning opportunity and you have had a full learning experience with this one. I think I would have landed out as I do consider myself a cautious flyer but given the pressure I'm not sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan_k said:

Very honest report Rich, respect for that.

Treat every flight as a learning opportunity and you have had a full learning experience with this one. I think I would have landed out as I do consider myself a cautious flyer but given the pressure I'm not sure.

I don’t see any point in hiding mistakes, it’s all about learning and if it helps someone else that’s even better 🙂

The decision of going or landing was a kind of constant discussion on the way back, always had a landing spot available except when it got totally dark. 
When you can see it’s only 3 or 4 miles back to the field and you push on, then you realise you had to turn the phone off so you could see past the screen. I think that was the ‘oh shit’ moment. We knew we could get back, we know the area well. I may have struggled on my own as paul has flown there many times more than me.  Landing when you can hardly see the ground was a worry, and rightly so 😂

To be honest if it hadn’t been such a cloudless night we would probably have had to land out. Such a good feeling to get back to the field though🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like most situations when things go awry it`s not just one thing that is the cause but a culmination of minor errors - the Swiss cheese model.

Your flight was doomed from the failed launch and busted prop onwards.

10:30 though, that`s late!

chart2.png

You learn something from every flight, though.

• Like 1

Hi 

Yes very well description of the day i did get a bit worried at about 10PM when  the wind did pick up and slowed us right  down by at least 20 minutes i would say, i personally didn't think it was a good idea to land out in fields we didn't know as power lines  could have court us out 😕 i think if it came to something like this again i would have arranged a lift home or just not waited around for Rich to get off the ground 😊 all a leaning curve.

still a nice flight nice to see the CMPARAMOTOR crew 

2 hours ago, Hann__ said:

Like most situations when things go awry it`s not just one thing that is the cause but a culmination of minor errors - the Swiss cheese model.

chart2.png

Yeah it was late i think the only thing on the swiss cheese model we left out was the ACCIDENT 😀 lesson learnt 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hann__ said:

chart2.png

I wouldn’t say doomed from the start as we had two successful 25 mile flights. 
lessons definitely learned though. And yes it was far too late. Won’t be doing it again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what a frustrating, exciting and expensive few days I've had!

Indecision, inexperience and simply making mistakes - I'm still a beginner. Time to take a step back and refresh the basics!

Let's start with failed reverse take offs. 
On Monday I went to Richard Leishman's field with a view to meet up at a pub near Nuneaton with a few others then fly back. The field is nice, flat but surrounded by buildings and trees so not ideal in windy conditions due to turbulence. Wind was around 10-12mph and gusting 14-16. I hadn't been to this field in this wind before, but now realise my limits.
After a bit of kiting and a lot of waiting Richard got airborne with a slightly dodgy reverse launch. 
I got ready and tried, and tried and tried. I failed 5 times, each time the wing going up OK but gusting and changing wind making it impossible for me to control and get off the ground. Eventually, after lots of swearing and a little tantrum involving a thrown helmet I came to my senses and stopped trying. Good call. 
Richard flew a bit and came back dropping very fast towards the ground. Generally not a good evening i this field.
Paul Page and Tracey Johnson  had flown over as they were at Pauls field so I went there to get some photos and relax after the efforts. The wind there was considerably more stable so I did some kiting and eventually decided to have a fly. 
Simple forward launch and up first time for a 25 min flight at 3-400 feet around the fields. I came back in and landed lovely on my feet.
At least I got my fix!

Tuesday the wind was the opposite - nil wind launches! 
Four of us went from Pauls field. I had a very quick 5 min flight while waiting for others to get ready, quick round the field and land - on my feet again :)
So far so good..
Then once we were all airborne, no issues, we headed for that pub in Nuneaton. I got there and two other people had already landed, so I came in after a go-around - I seem to be a bit nervous landing out at new places - fast approach and landed ok but on my knees.

There were 7 of us landed at the pub. Turns out the pub was shut lol

After a chat for a bit we all headed to the take off field with absolutely no wind. Any direction for take off.
It's a nice flat field and we all got up OK even though the doubters were forecasting a couple of props haha..

Had a nice fly around low as it's all fields there, then headed back. Lovely flight, a bit of low flying over fields near tamworth and followed Paul almost foot-dragging a test track then back to the field.
Simple enough, came in ok but fast and on knees again.
I don't think my old legs can keep up with the fast nil-wind landings.
No issues, nobody had any problems and a great evening had by all.

Then last night, Friday I went to meet someone new at a field near Penkridge in Staffordshire which we're hoping to use regularly. Met up with Phil and had a look at the field which is a microlight airstrip so well maintained. It's good with a long runway but narrow so wind needs to be in the right direction for us. 
It was very gusty but settled for a while and I managed to grab a quick flight. Did a quick forward and got off OK, promptly being blown sideways. It wasn't bumpy just gusty so I kept on the brakes and did a couple of circuits of the field. It's a lovely area with no neighbours to get upset, just fields but accessible to Staffs and Wolverhampton areas to fly around too. 
I came in to land having to keep adjusting for the wind but nothing scary - then hit some sink and dropped low before the field. Hit the throttle and just got in the field with my ass dragging through the hedge, came down and somehow managed to land on my feet. New field, should have landed further down the runway but didn't cause any problems.

A bit later the windsocks dropped completely so I got strapped in and Phil was going to follow. Sods law as soon as I strapped in the wind started changing direction again so I had to wait for a moment. Went for the forward, wing was slow coming up, got turned a bit and corrected but was heading for some crops. Big mistake not to cut power and tried to get up but hit the crops (wheat or something so not too tall) and took the ends off my prop. My new prop which was less than 2 weeks old :(

Bloody expensive game, making mistakes!
So now my plan is back to basics. Don't take off unless its 100% perfect just like when I was training. 

I think with experience comes more risk taking. Thinking you can do something but you're not quite making the right decision but decide to take the risk anyway. Silly game to get into, and costly. 

I've had a great week with 5 flights but ending badly because of a bad decision. I hope people learn from my mistakes :)

Heres a shot of the new field as I was coming in to land.

Penkridge.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A shorter update today. 
And a more positive one 🙂

went to Paul’s field in Tamworth last night where Clive Mason was visiting and doing some tandems for the farmer and his family. 
I got there about 5pm when it was hot so I wasn’t in a rush to get in the air, so I got my new prop from Clive and fitted it, did my pre flight and got wing ready. 

a couple of tandems went up and we chatted parashit for a bit. 
I flew around 7.50 and went around Clive on a tendem then off towards Tamworth where I flew over a friends house and gave them a wave. It turns out I got the wrong house and was waving at some random people 😂

pretty uneventful flight as it goes, nice and relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed it. I came in around the village and the no-fly neighbour who doesn’t like us for a nice foot landing. 
a beer and bbq were in order and we left the field about 10.30 after a great night doing what we do. 
a couple of rubbish weeks, still have to repair my net, but relax and don’t rush, nice easy evening and all is good again 😊

Looking forward to flying in penkridge next week if the weather plays ball. 

• Like 1

You may of heard it before but you start of with two bags one in each hand 🤲, one a bag of luck and the other a bag of experience🛍️ and you need to fill the bag of experience 👍 before the bag of luck runs out 👎😲,  if anybody has video watch it and see if your doing silly mistakes that can be corrected.

And like most trainers will tell you it is a marathon NOT a sprint, if you do not fly today there will always be a tomorrow and other days ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got a couple more decent flights in last night at penkridge. 

Met Phil and Paul at the field about 6.30 and it was a bit windy so we waited and got ready. Phil hadn’t flown for around a year and has about 30 flights under his belt so we got him up first just to alleviate any nerves. 

Quick reverse and he was straight up no fuss. Paul reversed and I went forward. I’ve done a few reverses but it was light enough to go forward so I did. 

We went northwest across miles of farmland and very few buildings.  We’re still getting used to the area so a couple of accidental sheep panics were had as we weren’t too high but discussed after and will be avoiding them in future. There’s also a couple of small airfields with airspace we had to avoid near Penkridge and Stafford. 

After some hedge hopping by Paul and waving to a lot of people on the ground happy to see us we turned back after about 40 mins. It was a lovely flight, we all took off easily and we all landed on our feet. 

Had a few minutes and got ready to go up again. 

Now my partner lives on the outskirts of Wolverhampton near j2 of the m54 and the wind had died right down so I said I’d like to fly over her house and wave. 

Phil had a little trouble with his forward take off but no real issues and we followed up and set off southerly towards Wolverhampton. Did a quick circle to check out the headwind for the return so we knew it would be a slow ride back and we knew we were on a time limit because of the time. 

It took about 15 mins to go the 7 miles to Dot’s house, flew over and waved. A couple of times we questioned whether to turn back or not but pushed on (my decision but anyone could go as they pleased obviously) 

As soon as we turned we knew it was a hard ride back, cross wind so fighting it all the way and couldn’t make more than about 18mph. I wasn’t worried and I knew paul wouldn’t be worried but then we found Phil’s wing was really slow going back, he’s a bit underweight for his 28m wing I think. 

Once back in the open fields I came down low to get better speed. Paul was ok his wing is faster, Phil was behind me and gradually dropped back. 

Realising he didn’t have any navigation with him and it was dusk, and he was starting to worry about not getting back I suggested finding a field and landing out before it got too dark. That way we could pick him up and not worry about him struggling to find his way back. 

Radio comms became erratic but he got the message. However we didn’t hear back from him. 

We landed at the field close to 9.30 pm, on the limit after crabbing most of the way back. It was a bumpy and tense flight needing hands on all the way. 

I had sent Phil a text message on the way telling him to let us know where he ends up, but we didn’t know whether he was pushing on or landing. It was a bit worrying for a while. 

When we landed I got a text from him saying he’s landed and then got to speak to him. When he told me he’d crash landed we were even more worried, but he’d got a lift off three friendly ladies in a Range Rover who brought him and his kit back to the field. 

Turns out he’d found a field ok and come in to land but saw power lines at the last moment and had to brake left suddenly. I wouldn’t call it a crash landing, he landed on his feet in a wheat field and fell grazing his knee. No damage to him or his kit otherwise. 

Oh.. I can’t forget this - Paul, the infamous Paul who landed in the river Severn, came in with engine off and had to glide past the field only to land in the middle of a corn field about 6ft tall crops. 😂😂

No damage just unfortunate landing. 

There was nil wind at the field and I landed in the other direction on my feet yet again 😁

Great evenings flying, bit of learning about being able to navigate your way home and Phil learned limitations of his wing. 

paul has some pics he might put on here, these are what Paul sent earlier.  I haven’t checked my cam footage yet but hopefully something good.

All fun, no major dramas, always more lessons learned. 

Loving it 😁

CB26ACA2-40DE-4625-8DC6-646653AFE594.jpeg

59062DA4-5DC3-45FE-A8ED-CD4C3F7E6134.jpeg

AC94482D-A88F-49B4-816C-66500F6ED33E.jpeg

17 hours ago, richjones said:

Got a couple more decent flights in last night at penkridge. 

Met Phil and Paul at the field about 6.30 and it was a bit windy so we waited and got ready. Phil hadn’t flown for around a year and has about 30 flights under his belt so we got him up first just to alleviate any nerves. 

Quick reverse and he was straight up no fuss. Paul reversed and I went forward. I’ve done a few reverses but it was light enough to go forward so I did. 

We went northwest across miles of farmland and very few buildings.  We’re still getting used to the area so a couple of accidental sheep panics were had as we weren’t too high but discussed after and will be avoiding them in future. There’s also a couple of small airfields with airspace we had to avoid near Penkridge and Stafford. 

After some hedge hopping by Paul and waving to a lot of people on the ground happy to see us we turned back after about 40 mins. It was a lovely flight, we all took off easily and we all landed on our feet. 

Had a few minutes and got ready to go up again. 

Now my partner lives on the outskirts of Wolverhampton near j2 of the m54 and the wind had died right down so I said I’d like to fly over her house and wave. 

Phil had a little trouble with his forward take off but no real issues and we followed up and set off southerly towards Wolverhampton. Did a quick circle to check out the headwind for the return so we knew it would be a slow ride back and we knew we were on a time limit because of the time. 

It took about 15 mins to go the 7 miles to Dot’s house, flew over and waved. A couple of times we questioned whether to turn back or not but pushed on (my decision but anyone could go as they pleased obviously) 

As soon as we turned we knew it was a hard ride back, cross wind so fighting it all the way and couldn’t make more than about 18mph. I wasn’t worried and I knew paul wouldn’t be worried but then we found Phil’s wing was really slow going back, he’s a bit underweight for his 28m wing I think. 

Once back in the open fields I came down low to get better speed. Paul was ok his wing is faster, Phil was behind me and gradually dropped back. 

Realising he didn’t have any navigation with him and it was dusk, and he was starting to worry about not getting back I suggested finding a field and landing out before it got too dark. That way we could pick him up and not worry about him struggling to find his way back. 

Radio comms became erratic but he got the message. However we didn’t hear back from him. 

We landed at the field close to 9.30 pm, on the limit after crabbing most of the way back. It was a bumpy and tense flight needing hands on all the way. 

I had sent Phil a text message on the way telling him to let us know where he ends up, but we didn’t know whether he was pushing on or landing. It was a bit worrying for a while. 

When we landed I got a text from him saying he’s landed and then got to speak to him. When he told me he’d crash landed we were even more worried, but he’d got a lift off three friendly ladies in a Range Rover who brought him and his kit back to the field. 

Turns out he’d found a field ok and come in to land but saw power lines at the last moment and had to brake left suddenly. I wouldn’t call it a crash landing, he landed on his feet in a wheat field and fell grazing his knee. No damage to him or his kit otherwise. 

Oh.. I can’t forget this - Paul, the infamous Paul who landed in the river Severn, came in with engine off and had to glide past the field only to land in the middle of a corn field about 6ft tall crops. 😂😂

No damage just unfortunate landing. 

There was nil wind at the field and I landed in the other direction on my feet yet again 😁

Great evenings flying, bit of learning about being able to navigate your way home and Phil learned limitations of his wing. 

paul has some pics he might put on here, these are what Paul sent earlier.  I haven’t checked my cam footage yet but hopefully something good.

All fun, no major dramas, always more lessons learned. 

Loving it 😁

CB26ACA2-40DE-4625-8DC6-646653AFE594.jpeg

59062DA4-5DC3-45FE-A8ED-CD4C3F7E6134.jpeg

AC94482D-A88F-49B4-816C-66500F6ED33E.jpeg

What landing the crop no pictures or video it didn't happen lol great evening yet again nice to fly different places well done Phil all you needed was a little push hope you enjoy the photos 

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Quick update because I’m still buzzing 😁

ive wanted to fly over Santa pod drag strip for ages. I’ve spent many years here racing and partying, I love the place. 
today and tomorrow I’m here crewing for a racer and I brought my kit with me. 
I knew the forecast was good 7pm. 
it’s a private event with only about 200 racers and their crews so the big fields are empty. 
around 7.30 I went and parked my van in the field, I was a bit worried about security getting shirty. I waited a bit, the only vehicle in a big field and security drove past without batting an eyelid. So I got my wing out, nil wind setup. 
id already checked my motor and fuelled it in the pits so I just got it on and a quick warm up. Still no problems so strapped in and up. Forward launch with a bit of running in nil wind. Not a lot of lift so a bit of brake got me up. 
what a great flight, I went over the pits waving and taking photos then went out and about the local area spotting the posh houses. 
absolutely loved it. Flying around with my racing mates in the pits, taking photos of them. 
I came over the strip at 2200ft and came down to land by my van. Easy approach and a running landing on my feet again. 
I can’t see me ever getting bored of this! It’s just fantastic being up in the air. 

618EF809-8E85-4AD1-AC0A-C5D91EB6FBE5.jpeg

1009746C-BE8A-4E56-9FC1-B5FC17751DCF.jpeg

27A02198-DB7F-4D84-A523-083A49E79181.jpeg

676C4F07-1D28-4804-BBF3-71B5E86F0615.jpeg

I’m enjoying doing these updates because I read back and remember how I felt on the days. 
Not so much a training blog now as an experience and learning blog. Hopefully it’s still useful / entertaining 😁

On the way back from santa pod on the Friday I went to tamworth to fly with Paul and Phil came over from Wolverhampton. 
Scorching hot is an understatement. I was already stinky from two days in the pits and the heat didn’t help lol

Anyway we got set up for nil wind hot forward take off. Phil had his coat on and I swear he nearly died. Just when you want to get off first time the air was heavy and the wings didn’t want to fly. 
Phil took 3 attempts, then I went up 2 attempts and Paul took 3 attempts. Just one of those hard to take off days!

I flew over Mira test track for a bit while waiting for Paul then we headed towards ‘mount Judd’ which is a slag heap turned into a hill next to a quarry off the A5. Ive seen it many times from the road and wanted to fly there. It was shit lol. Just a pile of dirt covered in grass. 
I flew round the quarry while paul and Phil flew over it then we headed towards tamworth. We had a plan but I forgot the rest. 
paul and Phil went over Richard leishmans house and Drayton manor park but I got a text off a friend who wanted me to fly over her house just off the m42 so I did that and gave them a wave. Just as I left my engine misfired so I headed back just in case but it was fine after. 
I came back to the field for a nice fast landing - on my feet again. 
great flight 70 minutes. 

Then on Monday afternoon paul text to see if anyone’s flying. I hadn’t checked the weather so I went home after work to get my kit and got to the field about 6.30. 
another forward launch nil wind but a lot easier than Friday. no fails!
I forgot my boots so had to fly in my canvas summer shoes. That’s a first! 

Now this week has been all thunderstorms  so we were wary. There was rain around on the horizon and clouds downwind but upwind was good so we went to Ibstock quarry. Tee shirt flight this time it was so hot. 
taking off at about 7.15 it wasn’t even slightly bumpy which was a nice surprise. 
we had a blissful flight fairly low, I was about 600ft for most of it. Warm and relaxing. 
Paul went too low for my liking over the quarry it that’s his call, I stayed above and enjoyed the view. 
when we turned around we saw a massive cumulonimbus miles away and the air was getting a little bit bumpy so we headed back. Had a great flight back and then flew around a bit local until landing about 8.35. On my feet again😁. Paul fell over oops! It was a very fast run though. 
That was one of the most pleasant flights I’ve had, smooth and warm. 
Sat in the field and chatted to the farmer, had a beer and got munched by midges. 

I drove home being entertained by that massive lightning storm flashing constantly. what a night 😊

photos of my shoes and me heading towards the big bad cloud. (Not really, it was miles away)

8CE4FC2F-4CBF-4FC7-A06B-E5ACF17E6A2E.jpeg

3155D2D9-AB9A-4CDB-8870-2B97C1EB7C96.jpeg

important update::

I have now landed on my feet more times than on my arse 😁😁

• Like 2

Another update, I'll make it quick !

Sat at home after work on 18th Aug (Tues) and I noticed the dun shining. I wasn't expecting any good weather this week, so I was surprised when I looked on the met office app ad it said wind 3/6 at Penkridge. But .... it also said 50% chance of thunderstorms at 7-8pm

I lazed for a bit then at 5.55pm decided to go. If I can't fly then nothing lost. Quick shoer, load van and on the road by 6.20.

When  I got to the field the farmer who owns the land was there, so we chatted and I introduced myself and checked no fly areas etc.

The weather hadn't changed by 7.15. Blue skies with clouds over the Wrekin and up Stoke way but nothing local so I decided to go up.
I got to take off around 7.45 - nil wind forward take off nice and easy. Looking towards the Wrekin was rainy and dark, the scary clouds North were staying there. What little wind there was was westerly and nothing incoming. Nevertheless I decided to stay close to the field and didn't venture more than 3 miles just in case.

I flew over a disused wartime airfield at Wheaton Aston, around a reservoir and meandered about. Accidentally scared a field of horses as I didn't see them in time but I throttled off to reduce noise until I passed, and the cows are just stupid - tey run away when you're at 1000ft :/

Lovely 45 min flight, very smooth and didn't venture much over 1000ft. 

Came in to land nicely when a little rabbit ran across the runway in front of me. I blame him for spooking me and making me fall on my knees :D

Great evening shame I was alone but so glad I went regardless of weather forecast. If it hadn't been ok I would have gone home nothing lost, but so much gained by getting another flight in - my 70th one :)

Short video below, ignore the timestamp.. and catch the bunny at the end :D

Flight 71
take off: forward
Failed launches: none
Landing: arse 🙄

Well we took advantage of the one flyable day this week and was it a good flight!! 
myself, Richard and Phil met at Richards field in Tamworth after work yesterday. 
Nil wind or near as dammit..

it’s a lovely flat field just surrounded by trees and buildings. Phil was nervous as it does take a bit of getting used to and it was his first time there. 
With a few mishaps Phil got airborne, Richard was already up and waiting, I had been giving Phil the thumbs up for his take off so was last up. 
Hard run but up fairly easily and off we went. We were planning to fly to the pub and back but wouldn’t have had enough light so abandoned that and flew local ish. 
What an amazing flight down low over massive fields, flying round trees, generally having a good time. This is the most low flying I’ve done in one flight. The air was warm and smooth with little wind so was lovely to fly in. 
We had 1:20 hrs of flying approx and came back to land. In I came, engine cut off failed again so I’ve got some more investigating to do there! Promptly landed on my arse. No real reason why, I came in ok realised my engine needed to stay on and apparently abandoned all hope of a good landing 😂
I wouldn’t mind but I’ve landed with engine on many times before. But I lifted my feet and planted my arse on the floor.

I’ve attached a video below of some bits, including my landing which was filmed on my phone because gopro had died. You can see the approach over buildings and appreciate Phils nervousness earlier but you do get used to it. 
Obviously phone fell on the floor on landing but no issues, no damage and just watching weather to get to fly again 😁

Well I’m back to arse landings !

drove to Clive field for a flight last night, but of a change. Almost nil wind take off, easy forward. 
Nice 50 min flight, round a hot air balloon, around market harborough. 
September and just starting to get chilly, and I didn’t go over 1300ft. Time to start wrapping up again. 
Came to land with zero wind and flaired too early. Slowed the wing but there was nothing left when I did my final flair and I came in fast. Almost caught it but not quite. Oh well. 
I blame Clive for betting I’d land on my arse!

that was flight 72. Now up to 54 hours air time. Still loving it 😁😁