Ok here goes...!

I don’t normally update this before a flight but... I’m off up north with Paul at 5.30am on Sunday to meet up with a couple of others and fly. 
The plan is to go from near Skipton, west to the coast and play on the beach, then inland via Windermere if the weather is good over the hills. 
Taking a lunch break at a pub or cafe somewhere and maybe take in Ribblehead viaduct too. 
I’m so excited I could pee myself😂

Had a great day yesterday flying Yorkshire Dales and at the beach for the first time.

Got up at 5am on a frosty Sunday morning to go up to Yorkshire to fly somewhere new. I met Paul at my work where we moved my kit into his car, and off we went at 5.30 for a 2.5 hour journey to Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales.

It was so foggy we couldn't see anything on the M6 as we headed north, but it cleared around Cheshire I think. Breakfast time was at McDonalds and onto the field arriving at about 8.15. Pete who we were meeting there had been updating us on temps and we watched the car temp gauge change from 0degrees to -4, and Pete had -5 at the field. Sun was just coming over the hills as we arrived and we got on with setting up. I reckon it may have warmed to -3 by the time we took off about 9am.

The field isn't a nice smooth one, it's more like moor land used for highland cattle grazing. Pete regularly flies there and he did a Benny Hill run with a full tank, his Bailey engine having a bit of trouble with all the weight. Anyhow the take off was OK and off we went. I was last off and the other buggers had gone off so I headed towards Morcambe to meet them at the beach. 

The scenery in the Dales is fantastic, such a nice change from flying in the midlands. As I got towards the coast I just headed to the beach hoping to find the others, which I did, they had landed on the beach as the tide was out. I flew over and got my trimmers and seat board down ready to land. Wind direction was offshore so I flew along the edge of the water and turned in to land. On my feet. Again !!

That was 30 miles in 1 hour 35 mins. I'm flying an Ozone Spyder 28m and I was nowhere near as fast at the others, maybe I need a faster or smaller wing...
The cold was mostly fingers and toes but I had a zippo hand warmer in my bag which helped on the way out. 
We stopped to get warm, had a chat and the took off again to fly around the beach a bit before heading back. We flew up to the north end of Morcambe bay, around into the estuary past Arnside and then back inland. 

Initially we had intended to fly north to Windermere before coming back but the wind had picked up a bit and the clouds came down so we couldn't even see the hills.

Keeping low under the cloud at 600ft or so, I still couldn't keep up and we all got separated. Good old Google Maps :)
Followed a rough idea of direction seeing a few landmarks I had noticed on the way out. It wasn't so cold downwind, and I was about 7-8mph faster on the return. 
I came in checking my GPS location then spotted the cars by the field. The windsock was all over the place but I came in OK and hit the mud, landing feet first the on my knees. 

Return flight was 1 hr, 16 mins and 41.9 miles including flying around at the beach.

Back at the field me & Paul wanted to make the most of it and were going to try a short flight. Strongish wind for an easy reverse launch and if too bumpy just come back and land.
I need ground handling practice, I couldn't get the wing to behave (I do mostly forward launches), and I pulled down low to get the wing on the floor, catching my throttle cable in the prop. No prop damage, and it cut through my engine kill wiring only. Easy fix. 
I've been meaning for weeks to adjust the cable to get it over my arm instead of under but hadn't yet done it. If I put it under my arm the engine wouldn't tick over without revving so needed loosening to cope with the bend n the cable. Guess I'll be doing that now then! Idiot.

I got full footage with an action cam which I've never done before so that will probably be rubbish. Got a few photos, and got some great memories.

Got home around 6.30pm very tired.

Thanks to Pete & Ady for the invite, and to Paul for doing all the driving. Fantastic day even though it was so cold.

86401073-1333-4A62-8668-148260B22A7F.jpeg

B48252BD-86E6-4B90-BB24-45BB9428D7DB.jpeg

the launch field

2581C561-C037-4C74-95D3-EDF6D8E54283.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Viking1000 said:

I was only joking Rich! but well done and what a great video!. I'm not sure I would be happy about landing on what looks like a tidal estuary!, but it made great viewing. Nice. Thanks for that.

Haha it’s ok I was doing it anyway. 

well the others had already landed and not sunk so I thought it’d be ok. Really big beach really. We flew over the estuary further north. It was great fun. 

I repaired my damaged wiring yesterday. It was only minor damage, I just soldered the wires and taped up. 
what I did find is I wasn’t getting full throttle, probably about 95% though so not a big deal. I tried to adjust my throttle cable so I could route it over my arm instead of having the loop under my arm. The parajet throttle has the cable at the bottom pointing down which makes for a tight ish loop on the cable when over the arm and when I moved my arm it changes the rpm off the engine. The answer is to loosen the cable to make some slack but if I do that I get even less of full throttle. 
Doesn’t look like there’s room to drill a hole on the carb lever to make it closer so for now I’m stuck with it under my arm. 
thinking of buying a polini type throttle to fix this and also as the parajet one is bulky and I’d like to free up my first two fingers for camera usage etc. 
watch this space...

3 hours ago, Viking1000 said:

https://youtu.be/VnRweBYvprw

Hi Rich. I watched this vlog the other day and perhaps it's a solution to your throttle cable concern?

Cheers

Nige

That’s not a bad idea, maybe I’ll try that cheers🙂

I’ve not had any issue before but was aware I had the cable low, it was just when I had to pull the wing down hard I got my hand far back. I’ll look tomorrow👍