Proud Sponsors of Paranoob.

Thats really not good. And I can see how you would be mighty hacked off with helping out someone else's customers when they aren't ready.

Just to add a bit of balance, there is at least one (non-BHPA) school in the UK I know of, who it turns out is just as well known, and that school is still trading. I spoke to someone the other week who just walked away and forgot about the money due to safety concerns and is now looking for another instructor. So it isn't presumably just an 'abroad vs UK' thing.

That said, I can see how if someone in the UK is 80% ready they can just keep going. At the end of a course abroad if someone is 80%, then there must be a greater temptation to just pass them. Its not right, but I can see how that would be the commercial reality.

Hopefully the BHPA will do something about it anyway, as they maintain the standards of the schools whether abroad or in UK.

If it is caused by the limited time perhaps they need to do some kind of partnership scheme where people can 'hours build' abroad and complete at home. Thats not an unusual way of doing things in other forms of aviation. It would also allow some kind of monitoring as to the standard people were coming out of various schools at. If someone attends only one school, there is no real scrutiny over the standard of their trainees.

I just know for myself and others I've spoken to, it can be very difficult to manage training in the UK around other committments, especially if the nearest school is some distance away. Training abroad can end up being the only option.

I'm not sure what the answer is though. Speaking as a beginner, it can be very difficult to know who is good and who isn't.

Edited by paraflyer17

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:24, paraflyer17 said:

I just know for myself and others I've spoken to, it can be very difficult to manage training in the UK around other committments, especially if the nearest school is some distance away. Training abroad can end up being the only option.

I'm not sure what the answer is though. Speaking as a beginner, it can be very difficult to know who is good and who isn't.

Definitely agree with these sentiments - I have been keen to commence training for the past couple of months and looked at lots of options, (including even watching Dell Schanze videos as well and which are very convincing and based on these, is a really good, cost effective option for what appears to be really intensive training with lots of hands on / flying time AND reliable conditions).

Unfortunately  however, I have still not been able to commit to a decision due to the various 'for's' and 'againsts' that seem to crop up...

• ABBI or BHPA
  • UK or overseas
  • Weekends or only or intensive
  • EP and CP combined (zero to hero) or split training
  • Paramotoring straight away or paraglide and then conversion
  • Purchase first and train free (or heavily discounted) OR train first then buy (some give a credit back and some don't)
  • Train with school equipment but if you damage it (as an ab initio student) you have to pay out for damages / replacements

One friend trained with a UK based school and said it was really well organised and highly recommended them so I thought great - word of mouth recommendation must be good as he is actively flying now, until chatting with another chap who said of the same school, he had a very poor experience with them overseas and now has 'credit' to carry on more training but at the cost of more flights and accommodation and will have to go back to the start as it has been so long...

With conflicting opinions like these, as a 'noob', even word of mouth seems not to count for much and so can be confusing.  Despite pretty much everyone advising to speak to others and find out about their experiences I still am no further along...

I guess that at some point I will need to take the plunge and commit but with an initially high capital outlay for training I don't want to invest irresponsibly but don't want to drop a bollock by not purchasing equipment first and missing out on genuine discounts....nor can I afford to balls up completely and be charged £5,000 for replacement kit (school or my own)...

I've been doing this a long time, here's my take for what it's worth.

I started my training under the BMAA syllabus, so it was essentially derived from the microlight syllabus but with differentiation to suit a paraglider type wing environment.

I wasn't interested in learning to paraglide, I just wanted motorised flight so it suited me fine. If you want to just fly PPG then got to a trainer that offers direct PPG training, such as Paramotor Training (here), CMParamotors or UKPPG.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
21 minutes ago, culbert mildew said:

Replying to this video.

Your either idiots or your being paid by one of the manufacturers 
Your maths are all wrong.
Bailey with reserve 
30.80kg + giles. 82.40kg = 113.2kg
You said 119.3kg

Parajet 28.65kg + giles 82.40kg = 111.05kg
You said 113.3kg

Wasp 30.10kg +
Giles 82.4kg = 112.50kg
You said 114.8kg
Who gives a toss about a kg here or there...total bollocks...just remember to go for a nice big  crap before you go flying then there's your 1.5kg difference. 
How much did you get paid?
Got bored with the bullshit halfway through.
Did you allow for the fuel weight difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke.(4 stroke less fuel weight)..i mean for Christ's sake you didn't even mention how much fuel was in each tank...which is beyond ridiculous, to anyone with half a brain cell it looked rigged...or you are in fact stupid.
Leave me a message and I'll come down to help you do a proper test that makes sense.
Don't put your Youtube + product placement links + sponsorship profits over peoples intelligence.

15.51min. giles said stupidly light!...bit of an overstatement, now if it weighed 10kg lighter yes maybe..but on maths approximately only 1kg between the 3 paramotors.
Definitely money driving this video...you shamed yourself by trying to think we are idiots.

I thought it was a good video. All machines had 2l of fuel in them, that was stated in the video.

It wasnt a full on lab test, and they went out of their way to say that.

Perhaps you could explain what your interest is, and why you've taken the effort to create a whole new account and voice your displeasure?

Hmm, interesting read, but it appears it's not only the overseas instructors are lacking a bit, I've just had a guy book on an Italy trip who has spent well over 12 months at a non BHPA school in the UK, in this time he has managed to accumulate 2 flights, long story short he kept going to the school only to be left to his own devices, the last straw was when he was helping someone ground handle and he asked where he was up to, 5 flights the guy said, needless to say that was the last day he spent at the field, I just hope he's been taught the right way 

• 5 months later...