Where's the fun height?

Guy

I don't like the cold so not a lot of flying at the moment, but thinking of the year ahead, at what height do people most enjoy flying at? 

I've tended to stay between 1000' and 2000' as I've always been worried about having plenty of choice for a landing spot in the event of an engine failure (which has never happened), but I see loads of videos at much lower altitudes that appear to be more engaging. I don't want to upset anyone on the ground and don't want to break the 500' rule, but an altitude of 300' or so and keeping away from buildings could be more interesting..........others are apparently flying a lot lower than that.

Just interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Guy

For me cloud flying and low flying are where the fun is at - but low flying is obviously dangerous! So forgive me stating the obvious, but always run an aerial check of anywhere you're going to fly low first... pre-decide your route, and keep energy in the wing! Either this, or only low fly low in a very well known area. This way there hopefully won't be any unexpected obstacles/wires etc. If you do need to make any sudden manoeuvres every little bit of energy gives you a 'chance', but don't depend on it! Sorry if this is a sucking eggs thing!!!!

This whole flying thing is a privilege and I'm also cautious of upsetting anyone/anything. My rule of thumb is - if an animal looks at you (or becomes agitated), you are too close! It doesn't mean you may not occasionally stumble close to a dog walker or field with something in it... but I always try to avoid it (especially horses). Obviously don't overfly houses, villages and towns etc. There's plenty of space out there!

Oh, and I find winter flying very rewarding. The cold dense air is great for wing control... plus you can fly all day long. Just dress accordingly! I don't wear anything heated and I'm always toasty. My iPhone battery doesn't like it much though.

So to answer your actual question... I'll transit anywhere between 500-3000ft (depending upon local conditions). I'll go above this to play in clouds or find clean air and I go below this if I'm going to interact with the furniture!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to fly between 500 feet and 1500 feet, only really going higher if there are good clouds with gaps to get between. At 500 feet you are rarely a noise problem from the ground, so can fly over horses and stock with no worries. It's only generally legal to fly below 500 feet if you have permission of the land owner, as when you are launching or landing. With permission, you can foot drag through his crops. But over towns get to a thousand feet, no-one will complain and if you have an engine out there is plenty of glide to get to a safe landing field. In an real emergency there are few places it's not legal to land. Also, say for instance you had a huge collapse and get your wing tangled inside your lines (cravat), or your lines started breaking one after the other under the strain (cascade), then you have plenty of spare height to throw your reserve, cut your engine and try to aim safely!!!! Big soft trees are ideal but keep your legs crossed as you go in!

Plan for the worst and you are as safe as you can be. Most importantly enjoy, but by following air law you are leaving the sport open and basically unregulated for those that fly in the future. Keep well away from airports and know where all the classes of airspace start and finish. Free on App's like EASY VFR BASIC.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to add your views.

I live in rural Shropshire, so plenty of open fields and no airports nearby 😊 . I am acutely aware of livestock as I have farmers as friends, but still plenty of crop fields to take a closer look at this year I think but something tells me I'm very unlikely to get as low as some of you guys.

Happy and safe flying to all.