Away for the Winter

Beginning to realise that I probably won't be flying every week anymore, nights much longer, less daylight, wet weather and windy. Obviously there will be odd days in the winter when everything comes together.... a day off work, hard frosts and beautiful blue skies with light breeze, but for the main part, flying may well be over for a few months.

I'm new to the hobby, what do I need to do to my motor? Do I need to empty fuel tank and run it dry? Will two stroke seize up all my pipes and clog my carburettor? Do I spray WD40 down the spark plug hole?

Or do I just start it up once a month and let it tick-over for a few minutes?

I have a Parajet Zenith Thor Polini 130.

Due to past events, I'll left my machine a few times for 6 - 12 months unused. 

All I did was empty the fuel tank, take out the spark plug and put a few drops of oil in the hole.  Then plug with some rag.

Then you have plenty of fuel for the lawn mower etc :-(

Afterwards, fresh fuel and maybe new spark plug - starts like the lawn mower :-)

Mark,

I park my Moster in the middle of October and do not fly again until at least April. I do not do anything special other than drain carb of gas ( ethanol free gas used only). I drain main tank in spring and refill and it usually fires off after a few pulls.

Brian

Thanks for all these replies, puts my mind at rest. Think I'll keep trying to fly as late as possible; but put minimum fuel in tank so less to put through lawn mower later! I just put my first "Gallery" onto the website (27th September 2018), hope to fly tomorrow, wind direction and speed good, but ground very wet here. I'm expecting wing to dry out quickly in flight, but after landing will have to hang to dry in my garage for a few days.

On 15/10/2018 at 10:16, Mark Pugh said:

Beginning to realise that I probably won't be flying every week anymore, nights much longer, less daylight, wet weather and windy. Obviously there will be odd days in the winter when everything comes together.... a day off work, hard frosts and beautiful blue skies with light breeze, but for the main part, flying may well be over for a few months.

I'm new to the hobby, what do I need to do to my motor? Do I need to empty fuel tank and run it dry? Will two stroke seize up all my pipes and clog my carburettor? Do I spray WD40 down the spark plug hole?

Or do I just start it up once a month and let it tick-over for a few minutes?

I have a Parajet Zenith Thor Polini 130.

A 2 stroke won't seize up by not using it.  Don't spray WD-40 down the spark plug hole.  You can let a 2- stroke sit for ever without  starting it.  After sitting for a period of time....just put some mixed gas down the plug hole....pull start it a few times without starting it... this will lube things internally before you start it...

As for the exhaust.... do nothing to it.... is just fine. 

Edited by Macky Cushing
Miss spelled word

• 2 weeks later...

I'd only worry about it if it had ethanol gas or where it will see temperature fluctuations. It would draw in moisture if it was in a shed or somewhere not climate controlled with the temperature changes. Most people spray fogger into a running engine for storage such as a boat kept outside.

38 minutes ago, hadders said:

regarding the fuel, you need to replace it as the modern ethonol gas only has a shelf life of 6 weeks! 

I have left my machine for 5 months without doing anything as I was taken into hospital suddenly. It started first time and ran perfectly for a 1 hour flight.