Tony Fisher - Paramotor Training Blog

It's the 'magnetic attraction' syndrome. Mine seems to be with fences :oops:

This flying lark is great.

Got to agree with you there Tony. As a low hours pilot go for the middle of large spaces.

My landings on the training field were all over the field, I suppose I was just happy to land sucesfully at the time. Now it's so much more enjoyable to land where I want (not withstanding the aformentioned fences).

Keep at it,

cheers,

Alan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the flak guys, not sure why I decided to land so close to the flag post. I did do a couple of ‘try runs’ and they all seemed fine.

That’s another one I’ll tick off my ‘Not to do again list’. At least I’m up and flying and having fun.

Tony

Yep, fully understand

It's not flak it's constructive criticism. I got the impression from the way you wrote your post you seemed unaware that there might be something amiss with the decision making process.

I know I made some wrong decisions. I thought a small part of a training log is to point out your mistakes so people can guide you better and stop other people doing the same mistakes – I guess a lot of people are still under training out there, but where are their training logs…

Firstly I tried to land too close to the flag post, which was to close to the cars and pond.

I did go round a few times and the glide felt nice and long, but when I turned my motor off it did sink a lot more than I thought it would.

With my low hours I should be landing more in the middle of the field.

I was in Ed’s field over the weekend and this time made sure I landed in the middle. :)

Tony

Subject: Flight 12 – Local Area

Date: Sat, 17 March 10

Site: Ed’s Field

Wing: Synthesis 29

Motor: Parajet (compact)

Flight 11 - Local Area

Arrangements were made to meet Ed and Ken, so snorkel and mask was packed and I was off.

On the way down I was thinking about practicing takeoffs and landings again due to my splash last week.

On arrival, the weather was warm and next to no wind at all. Ed and Ken were already setup and practicing a couple of forwards.

Done two practice forwards – all seemed OK; both times the wing fell to the left after running a bit. Motor out and checked. ED was out and ready, sadly while running he glanced up to check his wing and stumped, which broke his prop. Ken had a couple of attempts and just missed his chance – 2 second flight.

The little wind there was seemed to be blowing slight left more than indicated, because the wings were falling down on the same side on each run. So after a little ‘chin-wag’ it was decided to head slightly left.

I laid the wing out, clipped in and just went for it – luckily for me the wind was just right and I was in the air – :D

After a couple of circuits Ken was in the air too. Since it was a hard job to get in the air, I decided just to go for a fly instead. It was thermic, but flyable.

During my flight a ‘Red Kite’ was hovering about 30 feet my left – what a lovely sight. By the time I got my camera out he had gone – so I took a couple of shots of the golf course and local area (nothing to show really)

After 40 minutes – the landing. Ken had already landed so trimmers in and brakes ready. Done a couple of circuits and went for it. It was a fast landing, but when I dabbed the brakes it levelled out nicely, lost some speed and pulled the brakes – nop! Tony’s landing again. I did not hit the ground hard – just find it hard to keep running.

After packing up Ken and I went for a drink and Ken did notice that my ‘angle of the dangle’ was not right on the landing, which made it seem impossible to land on my feet.

So, (please correct my or advise me if possible).

Either my leg straps are too tight - I can easily get 4 fingers under my leg straps

My shoulder straps are too tight – does not feel it and nearly on maximum setting

My Swing Arms are wrong – I have 3 clear holes from the front, which seems correct. (85 kg naked)

In the end – lovely day, 40 minute flight and a beer afterwards – what else can a man ask for?

Try moving the hang points back one more hole and try that get some one on the ground to see how much you are leaning back when you are fully seated in the harness as you do a fly by, if you find that you are leaning forward too far then put them back to where they were and run on landing :lol:

During my flight a ‘Red Kite’ was hovering about 30 feet my left – what a lovely sight.

Fantastic, it's great when that happens. I had it with a Buzzard.

I dabbed the brakes it levelled out nicely, lost some speed and pulled the brakes – nop! Tony’s landing again.

I find it best to try to lose more speed when levelled out then brake hard to almost a standstill. Well that's the theory anyway, it works sometimes.

In the end – lovely day, 40 minute flight and a beer afterwards – what else can a man ask for?

A 2nd beer :?::)

Cheers, Alan

Many thanks for the advice Pete & Alan.

No one mentioned the straps thou....

In flight I do feel 'pushed' forward in the seat (I know the motor :) ) or it maybe my arse is too big for the seat.

I did noticed that Kens swing arm had 4 clear holes at the front and he is 10kg more than me (sorry Ken :wink: )

Can't wait for the next go thou :D

Tony

Many thanks for the advice Pete & Alan.

No one mentioned the straps thou....

In flight I do feel 'pushed' forward in the seat (I know the motor :) ) or it maybe my arse is too big for the seat.

I did noticed that Kens swing arm had 4 clear holes at the front and he is 10kg more than me (sorry Ken :wink: )

Can't wait for the next go thou :D

Tony

Hi Tony,

I had the same problem at The Flagpole the other day....I just could'nt get into the harness properly.

What I'm going to try next flight is the shoulder straps let right out to nearly the maximum, and then adjust them back from there until they feel right....

Neil.. :D

I just could'nt get into the harness properly.

Neil - No problem getting into the harness (maybe to quick sometimes)

First two flights I had that problem, but now my arse just slips in the seat nicely.

I overcomed this problem by having room for 4 fingers to slip under the strap, when sitting on the floor make sure your arse is right back as far as possible and lastly when you stand up bend down a few times and you will feel yourself in the seat. From now on I have a problem, because I get in the seat too fast :)

Happy days

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

hi tony...

i suffered for ages from the "getting in the seat problem"...im a big lad at 18st..and it completely ruined many flights for me...it was onlt this year that i finally got it nailed..

i have now just fitted a supair harness from parajet and am yet to fly...the supair has a big bum plate for a bit of extra comfort for me.

but prior to now...my "Technique" if you want to call it that was thus.

I have shoulder straps completely max extended.

slacken the seat "flap" with the 2 side adjusters completely off..

tighten leg straps tightly just above the knee...that way they downt slip down whilst running.

once airborne i would tuck the seat flap out and push down on the adjusters to bring my knees up higher and forcing my bum in the seat a bit more...

then slacken off my knee straps and relax!.

then for landing....i would make sure my leg straps are still loose...drop the flap adjusters loose again, and you quite nicely are able to drop out into the vertical position..

i also find that landing in the running position..ie. one foot well in front of the other helped with running speed off...i was quillty of landing with both feet together and then starting to run...which never worked!!

hope this helps...

• 3 years later...

Agreed.

It seems as though people are less into writing them now... I actually think that this is because the current standard of writing / blog is so high!

SW :D