Tony Fisher - Paramotor Training Blog

Subject: Flight 7 – Local Area

Date: Sun, 27 September 09

Site: Eddie’s Field (Shabbington)

Wing: Synthesis 29

Motor: Parajet (compact)

Flight: 35 minutes

Total: 60 Minutes

Looks like another great weekend, so quick text to Eddie to check when the Lord was in his grounds – answer was Sunday afternoon 1430 hrs, looks good for me. Had to complete a few chores around the house, then loaded my already checked and packed kit and left for the field about 1430.

Arrived to see Eddie, Mark and Ken already had their wings and motors out. Told that Ed and Mark were going to fly to Lambourn, so Ken and I planned a quick trip around the local area.

Wind was blowing about 5 mph ish with no gush’s so I though I would try a couple of reverses, if not a forward it would be. I’ve got a bit of a confidence thing about getting the risers twisted things like that. So had a 5 practice attempts and the last 3 was OK.

So, wing was all laid out and checks completed. Motor out – failed to start. After 10 minutes, I checked the plug – wet. Check the spark – OK. Then, removed the plug again and turned the motor upside down – no fuel.

Watched Ken do a lovely reserve and he was up and away. Bl**dy Hell, now what. A thought by Eddie – phone the remote engineer Pete B – Great idea.

After a quick phone call – CHEERS PETE. Remove plug, turn upside down, few spins of the prop, wait a bit. Then start the motor with no choke and on full throttle. Little bit of life – then great – she was running again. Thinking back, I think the reason was I had my headset on while starting it first time and I think I missed the initial fire – so flooded it and then made it worse.

Now, Mark, Ed and Ken were on the ground so I decided to have a trip around the local area and have a play with things. Again, trimmers set, brakes parked and using the TST handles. This time I parked the TST handles and started weight shifting – another first. This felt very weird – sitting on a deck chair, 1300 feet in the air, your legs dangling and you’re not holding on – very strange and it took and good few minutes to get use to it.

Took out my little mirror and had a check on the fuel level – how cute, up there with a vanity mirror. Stopped Mark on his way back and was doing a few circuits, another ‘difference’ flying around other flyers – for a newbie seeing another Paramotor flying below you is another must.

Guessing my fuel was getting low (how wrong I was), decided to land. Again going through the procedures was no problem, but landed nice and smoothly on my arse – need to keep my arse up (think about landing on glass, maybe next time)

Small note to any newbie’s – I stuck some bright masking tape on the FRONT of my harness and also on the wing risers. So, when looking down you see two matching together. Just gave me a lot more confidence when doing your final checks and seeing them confirms that they are not twisted (maybe a full twist, but hope you would notice that beforehand)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Small note to any newbie’s – I stuck some bright masking tape on the FRONT of my harness and also on the wing risers. So, when looking down you see two matching together. Just gave me a lot more confidence when doing your final checks and seeing them confirms that they are not twisted (maybe a full twist, but hope you would notice that beforehand)
Nice one thanks.

I like practical low tech solutions :D

Andy

Alan

Non taken at all – After the first ‘twist’ I did have a slight ‘confidence crisis’, but seeing the tape, settles me down a bit.

I also know you can’t rely on bits of tape (flying off), so I do physically check too.

Would be nice if the manufacturers colour coded the front too – why not the ‘A’s are coloured.

Tony

• 4 months later...

Subject: Ground Handling – Local Area

Date: Sun, 27 September 09

Site: Hyde Farm (Purton)

Since I have not flown since October I thought it would be a good time to get out and practice.

I spent 2 half days over the weekend checking the motor over and getting some ‘fresh air’ under the wing.

Call me a ‘Pretty Flyer’ at the moment if you want, but with my low air time and then adding heavy clothing with thick gloves on for the first time I think I will play safe. Also being over 50 and it being bloody cold this winter I thought I would stay on the ground until I gain more experience.

My Parajet motor was great, it has been on a trickle charge all winter and kept at work in a warm warehouse, but it started first time and sounded OK (to me anyway). Checked and cleaned all the parts, then took the motor back to the warm cosy place at work.

Ground Handling:

Weather was weird; sometimes there was no wind, other times, a very twitchy light wind.

Generally, it went very well. I done three forwards with no problems – wing straight up, no lines twisted (which is my little worry I have in my head) and running down a small slope – felt good, with no problems there.

Also, due to the wind, I done a few hours doing reserve launches – even with the twitchy wind the wing was up level, turned and running down the slope again. I did have my brake line twisted (one turn) around my riser once, but the lesson was learnt and all the other times I had no problems. In all – felt good and ready for some good weather and some real flying now. Of course, more practice is required when you can, but the confidence is back, kit packed and ready to go. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Subject: Flight 8 – Local Area

Date: Sat, 13 March 10

Site: Simon’s Cricket Pitch

Flight: 40 minutes

Looked like a lovely weekend and with the France trip coming up fast I thought it was about time to get some air time under my seat. Hopefully, it was going to be my first flight this year and since Oct so I thought it would be good to pop down and see Simon. Also, it has been very quite down Ed’s field this year….

Reached Simon’s place about 1130 hrs the wind was OK the field was pretty small (IMHO and with my experience) with the village just next to us. So my immediate thought was – this is going to take some landing.

Good check of the wing and done a few hours of ground handling. Checked the motor and fired her up – started first time and ‘to me’ sounded nice.

What other excuses can I bring up now – none, so what was stopping me. Had a bit of lunch and a hot drink, the weather felt nice and warm so laid out the wing for a reverse and got the motor ready. I didn’t put on a flying suit (first mistake) I had thermal trousers on and plenty of layers on top so I thought that would be enough.

My first attempt was aborted, because I picked up the throttle cable between my leg and the riser. As soon as I turned the throttle was kisses my cheek (face). I turned the motor off straight away with my nose (joke) and tried again – same thing happen. Now twice the throttle was kissing my cheek bone on turning so I guess this was wrong. So, motor off, laid the wing out again and picked up the throttle from over the riser and just confirmed with Simon this was correct – thumbs up from Simon. Wing up, turned and I was away in about 3 – 4 steps.

My plan was to head for the white horse – have a buzz around and fly back. Trimmers out and then had a few minor problems parking the right brake while holding the throttle. Brakes now were parked and I was holding on the TST steering. Most of the journey was bumping, but I knew the trimmers were out and the motor was going well. By the time I sorted myself out I was flying over the white horse. Quick thought in my head was the wind must be pretty strong up here so I done a few laps on the White Horse and headed by – 15 minutes later I was over Simon’s field.

On the way back I came across my second mistake – As a novice, make sure you put any items you might want in the left hand harness pocket NOT the right. I only put the GPS in the right side and with being bounced around a bit I thought I’ll just leave it there (with my camera – all securely attached to clips – lesson learnt)

Had a quick fly round and was feeling pretty cold now so thought about the landing. Done a quick circuit, which involved coming in at right angles (over some houses), then a quick 90 degree turn and land. Getting bumpy now, (is this me or what) done another circuit, engine off, right turn, brakes up and landed on my knees again (nearer to the ground when you kiss it )

Slightly over to the left, but I was down – it all felt good. Happy with my first flight of 2010.

A good debrief from Simon – Takeoff was OK, I should have had a longer approach before the right turn and the landing was ‘well! my landing’ – I just need to RUN when I hit the ground.

Lessons learnt

Throttle cable

Flight equipment in left hand pocket

Wear warmer clothing

RUN on landing

All in all a good flight for me 

Sounds like you had a good flight Tony with lots of lessons learned!

Been a bit quiet at Shabbington lately because the field has been waterlogged (it has been raining a lot, apparently).

Should be okay now and I will keep you in the loop.

Hope to see you soon and good luck in France

Regards

Eddie

Nice one Tony, lots of little things to remember with the gear one wants to carry, but sounded like a good learning experience :)

Worth the effort in getting back in the air again. Your landings will improve and then you'll start enjoying them. I flew yesterday for the first time in 7 weeks 3 days (who's counting :roll: ) and it was great to be back in the saddle.

See you at Airvault,

Alan

Ed

The wife and I have booked into Common Ley Farm this weekend (and next WE) with the caravan hoping to pop over to your field as much as possible during the weekend. The weather looks ‘pants’ thou – let’s hope the wind drops a bit and the rain keeps off for a few days.

Maybe we can all meet up at the ‘The Old Fisherman’ with the other halves for a bite to eat?

Alan

Thanks, with a dodgy back I only have the motor on my back when I aim to take off, but I know I should still go through the routine. At least I won’t make that mistake again and kiss the throttle while turning round :)

Yep, can’t wait now – even got my ‘personal box’ from Simon and had a few practice packing 8)

See you all soon

:coptor:

Subject: Flight 9 & 10 – Local Area

Date: Sun, 21 March 10

Site: Ed’s Field

Flight 9

After a dismal day on Saturday the weather looked OK ish for Sunday – maybe a bit gusty, but a call to Ed confirms it might be OK. So we arrange to be there at 1100. Kit all packed and off I went to Shabbington.

Arrived slightly late and met a few more guys – Eddie, Tom and Ed. All nearly kitted up and ready to go. Normal procedure – Wing out and spent 20 minutes ground handling. All looked good. Motor out, after my pre-flight checks it started up first time. Wind was blowing from 5 – 12 mph. Moved all my kit out went back had a brew and a sandwich – like you do. I told Ed that I’m going to practice some Landings Outs (fly to 800, mark a field (our LZ), engine on idle and practice coming down until a few hundred feet, power on and go up again.

First flight was good, reversed launch and I was away – I did find it rather hard to gain height, but I was not directly into wind. Confirmed what the other guys said ‘quite bumpy’ in places – so my bump factor was OK. Trimmers were out and using TST steering, so no major problems. Two first’s thou – I had my flight suit on and wearing thick gloves (Army pattern 95 type) – compared to last week, this was lovely. This time I was not sure if it was me and the suit or the bumps keeping me warm. I tried my first ‘1000 feet drop out’ and thought ‘sod this’ – it was too bumpy and I was getting thrown around, so that was cancelled (my last spoken words)

Typical ‘Tony’s’ landing. Feet, knees and then kiss the ground. In this wind I know I should be landing on my feet.

Flight 10

After a bit of lunch, Ed mentioned that we all fly to Common Ley Farm and back again. This was a first flight to somewhere directly and back again (not really a XC yet). All agreed. I thought Ed said it was a few miles past the mast (in fact it was before the mast)

Another reverse required, had a wing down on my first attempt, recovered, wall built and the second one was fine. The guys were behind me and I was the last to take off, so now I was in front with one to my right side. After my initial climb out, I started turning right and found it slightly hard to gain height again (fat sod). Trimmers out, TST steering – nice and warm – what a sport.

Now, just coming up to the mast I noticed I couldn’t see anyone, so I done a 180 and the other three were on the way back – thought weird. So I started heading back and on the way I flew over Common Ley Farm – dame, must of went straight over it.

Flight time was now about 30 minutes and a few guys had landed, but I was comfortable and I thought I had plenty of fuel, so I thought it would be good to spend a whole hour up here, just checking the different turns with the wind and feeling the different from the ground effects. Gaining flight experience I called it. I did sing to my self once or twice ( I was told by someone on T2T, that when I get scared I sing to myself and when I stop I would be through it (nice one) and it did work in someway)

After doing many circuits the time was 59 minutes, so I moved the trimmers and parked by TST toggles and started thinking about landing and RUNNING.

Well, I was about 600 feet and 1.35 km (checked by Google earth) from the LZ and my fuel run out. I was over some large fields, I knew where the wind was coming from and my trimmers were set for landing and the brakes in my hand. All set for an real ‘Landing Out’. All went well, done a few ‘S’ turns, kept facing into the wind and done a ‘Tony’s’ landing. Phoned Ed, received the abuse, gathered all my kit and stood by the road.

In all really, I did it for real and I kept in control, which I felt was good, my landing was (my) normal and I landed were I wanted too.

Fuel History

In tank before 4 litres

Added 6 litres

35 minute flight

Added 4 or 6 litres (not sure on exact amount)

61 minute flight

In tank ZERO

Good air experiences learnt.

Confirmed flight with flying suit and thick gloves

Learnt – check your fuel usage on your wing and motor.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Eddie & Alan, but need to get my little legs running when hitting the ground.

I really was thinking it through until my fuel ran out :cry:

Reference my fuel - this seems really bad.

I used 14 litres of fuel in 95 minutes

Basic maths tells me thats 1 litre per 6.8 minutes of flying.

To me that is not a lot - does that sound right?

So, on a legal 10 litre tank I can only fly for 68 minutes

Thirsty Tony

The compact tank is not 10L

It's more like 8

But it sounds a little juicy still... check your not running it rich would be a good place to start.

SW :D

Tony

If the weather is ok next weekend I will bring a felt tip marker and a litre measure to mark your tank and supply you with a mirror.

We can then stick 5 litres in the tank and you can see how long you can stay up for.

It will give us a better idea on your flying time.

You will need a good idea (and a way to check your tank) for your France trip.

If your tank is still empty from Sunday don't put any fuel in to make it more accurate.

Regards

Eddie

• 4 weeks later...

Subject: Flight 11 – Local Area

Date: Sun, 10 March 10

Site: Ed’s Field

Needed to decide where to fly today so I text Ed and Simon. Since I had no reply from Simon the decision was made. After a few calls I made arrangements to met Fast Eddie (FEd) at 5 ish that afternoon, so packed the car and I was off.

On the journey down to Shabbington my thoughts were just to practice takeoffs and landings as much as possible since my flying in France was poor. I do need more experience in this to increase my flying hours now.

Arrived and placed all the kit out, done the normal – check the wing, ground handled a bit check and started the motor – all seemed fine. FEd was having some problems with his motor, but that was sorted. Again, waited until someone else was in the air (not sure if this is a good thing yet, but A). FEd had a few problems with his reverse, but I think that was lack of ‘go’ on his part. The wing came up good three times, but either waited too long or just waited for the wing to be prefect, but FEd was in the air and all looked nice.

Since the wind was averaging around 5 – 8 mph and the max gust was 11 mph it was a reverse for me too. Shocked, wing up and I was around and off in about 5 steps – who needs the French weather.

Parked the brakes, TST was out and trimmers set. This flying lark is great. Had a few minor bumps, but since seeing the guys in France this gave me the confidence just to let the wing do it’s own (within reason) and enjoy.

Had a couple of circuits and then started on the landings. Did a couple of practice landings and weird - they were either too long or too short and needed a bit more power. Decided to land now, done another circuit and tried to land near the flag post. The flag post was right by the edge of this enormous green flat field with three cars on the right and a small pond on the left.

As I was coming in, FEd was standing next to his car and I was looking down (about 30 foot ish) not sure how, but then a gust came, which blew me over to the left and straight in the pond :oops: . The pond was only a few feet deep, but I did fall forward and got soaked. Luckly the wing fell on the bank and that was quickly gathered up by FEd. I just got up and walked to the bank – the motor, risers and I was soaked.

Reasons why – not sure. Maybe I was fixed on looking at FEd (but he was just standing there and watching), maybe not directly into wind and the gust took me by surprise. Of course I needed to correct the flight path, but I thought I was too low to start playing with the brakes.

FEd did mention that I added power on the approach and flared to much, but I think I was trying to add some brake to gain height to get over the pond, but it does look like I applied too much and dropped into the pond.

Overall – more landing practicing for me in the middle of the field this time and increase concentration needed especially on approach. :oops::)

Thanks to Fast Eddie and Ian for saving my wing and lending me a t shirt to get home.

Edited by Guest

...tried to land near the flag post. The flag post was right by the edge of this enormous green flat field with three cars on the right and a small pond on the left...

If the field was flat, green and enormous, why did you decide to limit yourself to a tiny bit with obstacles? Being a good pilot comes from good decision making.