Advice for miniplane top 80L needed please

Bev

Hi I am a new pilot with just 15 flights.  I have a mininplane top 80 with an ITV Boxer GT wing. (Bought new in 2014)

Just moved to the UK and living in Hereford. 

Can anyone tell me the most reliable and fairest priced sites to buy spares for my miniplane.

I need a new prop, 130 cm (Advantage of buying a carbon prop?) some frame clips and ring clips.

My engine only has 3 hours on it.

Looking for easy-going  people to fly and practice with.

Please contact me if you want to enjoy the fresh air with me!

Thanks Bev 

23 hours ago, cas_whitmore said:

Hi bev , russ at Miniplane uk is who I use for any parts I’ve needed ‘ quick and easy to deal with .

as regards to wood or carbon I have used both flavours and they work equally well , as long as not cheap or bad copy’s .

cas . 

I have had a Miniplane since 2011, a lovely machine.  E-props make a good prop.  It's very light.  I am not sure how much additional thrust is generated, but because it is so light it spools up very quickly.  I wouldn't be without one.  e-props are in France, but Annie speaks good English and is very helpful.  I think that there are some e-prop dealers in the UK

Mecafly have really good exploded diagrams of the Top80, which makes it easier to order the correct part, even if you don't buy from them.

And you will not find a better resource of tutorials and 'how to' videos for the Top 80 than Southwest Airsports

Fly safe,

Christian

• Thanks 1

On 15 August 2018 at 21:57, Patrick1 said:

Hi Bev,

Miniplane is a great machine but not very forgiving, I seem to recall having to get a few spare parts after one of my early flights! Russ at www.miniplane.co.uk is a star and was extremely helpful indeed.

Hi Christian thank you. 

I will check them out. Much appreciated. I thank you.

I have a 'large' frame, designed for the 1250mm prop, but I've had a 1300mm prop on it for years without a problem.  As for the actual model number, that will depend on your gearbox ratio.  The ratio will be marked on your gearbox.  Also, e-prop have recently launched a newer model, scimitar I think.  If I was buying a new prop today, I would get the new model.

If you are not sure, give Annie a call.

Christian

• Haha 1

Having suggested e-props, I wonder whether a timber prop wouldn't be better for you at this stage.  Only because they are cheaper and therefore there's just a little less stress when you are taking-off.  I know that when I started out that the last thing that I wanted was an expensive prop behind me.

Just saying.........

I thought that the carbon prop was more robust.and last longer, i will give Annie a call, thank you kindly. You aren't by any chance local to Hereford? Or perhaps you know someone in my area with a top 80 who I could get in contact and fly with. 

Thanks again

Bev

In my experience, wooden props are tougher.

I live in SW France, so a bit of a shlep for you.  But you are welcome if ever you are down in this neck of the woods.  Have you tried the Facebook UK Paramotor group?  Between this forum and Facebook you should be able to find some pilots local to you.  And the guy who runs the FB group is both very knowledgeable and a Miniplane fan.....if that's not a pun ;)

Fly safe,

Christian

• Thanks 1

Yes, a bit of a trek. I lived for a few months in Bordeaux when I was in my very early twenties, beautiful. The flying must be wonderful there, thanks for the invite most kind, ?  Ive never been a FB fan but perhaps now I should think about that. Once again I am indebted to you for your invaluable advice. 

Thank you and fly safe too

Bev

• 2 weeks later...