2 questions about props

HI,

I was just wondering about prop strike (not that I've had one) and whether they ever affect anything other than the prop. Or is it usually a case of just replacing the prop? 

Also, I'm thinking about getting an e-props propeller. Is there much of a weight saving? I understand they spin up faster, so I am assuming they will be lighter...

Grateful for any input, thanks.

Depend what the prop strikes ?, might only have to replace prop if you only clip the ground, common cause people trying to sit down to early when taking off.

If prop strikes cage and netting might be possible to repair or need replacement parts.

Wooden prop's more accident friendly yes they hurt but splinter and break in most cases causing less damage, carbon props shred and splinter but keep cutting IMO.

I did my prop earlier this year, due to a failed launch (I think i've very recently found the cause but won't go into that here).

I was quite unlucky as one tip of the prop (broke both) flew straight up and through both skins of the wing.

Destroyed half my cage and netting too.  I couldn't find anything else though in terms of damage, no chassis twisting or engine mount problems etc.

Andy.

You can easily damage you prop shaft or final drive assembly if it is a hard hit.. 

E Props do weigh allot less than say a Helix, One Helix blade on a V5 used to weight the same as a complete E prop... They spin up much quicker and IMO give better Eco and less noise at cruise.. 

We do keep most E props for the Polini Range and we hope to have Moster E props in stock once E props are back from there summer break.. 

This all depends on what the prop strikes....which depends on how you did it. Here are the 3 most common I have seen.

1. Either on take off or landing the pilot ends up in a leaning back position and touches the ground, usually gently. By that I mean his vertical velocity was low. The prop strikes the floor and usually nothing else, giving a smashed prop and the rest of the machine ok.

2. A pilot strikes the ground hard such that the frame of the machine bites into the ground. This causes a sudden deceleration of the whole machine, including the prop. The prop is flexible and will flex forwards. If it is still spinning, it will find something to hit and break, usually part of the cage and netting.

3. Something hits the prop. Either a part off the engine or something from the pilot side. This usually just destroys the prop, but bigger parts falling through cause a bigger mess.