Polini Thor 200

LiamSmith

Hi all,

Is a Polini Thor 200 engine powerful enough to get a 90kg guy with a bad knee off the ground with out too much running? Want to know if this would be powerful enough to take off with out too much running if possible.

Will be using a 28 Dudek universal 1.1 wing with it.

Thanks

Liam are you buying secondhand or new...  If buying a Thor200 i would air on the side of caution. It should kick out around 70kg of thrust. They have now been redesigned to the 200 Evo.  If you are going trike the Thor250 is a far superior engine..   

if you have a bad knee have you thought about trike?  

You can go down the ultra light  weight route but IMO what you loose in weight you loose in strength.. Go bend the frame on some ;-) before you buy..  Might be an idea if you can get to parafest to see most of the Brands

I’d certainly have a good look at the Airconception Nitro & just released Tornado the Nitro 200cc and by far the lightest unit out there I weigh 120kg and it powers me up and away with ease whilst the extreme lightweight frame and engine make it a dream to have on my back and by all reported the Tornado 280cc is only a fraction more in weight. AC have an excellent machine strong and powerful have a look try one on at Parafest you won’t be disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...

normally the lighter weight engines are very fuel hungry..  Moster ave 5lph  same for the nitro 200, 280 to be confirmed but Vince said he flew 40 mins the other day and burnt about 4.2 litres flying a 20m Luna 2..   6.3lph !!!!

Mav only has a 10 litre tank so max flight time 2 hours or 60-70km

So what you need to ask your self is what kind of flying you want to do and for how long. if you just want to blast around for an hour take your pick of the light machines, but if you want to go for longer... 

light also comes with some minor draw backs with strength..  Go and flex some of them and see for your self... some not all are suffering with Netting issues..   

If you have Knee issues and want to fly more than 60-70 km i would start to look at trike... Have a look on XC planner mark out some places you would like to fly to in your local area and work out distance etc.. 

On flights with lots of level cruise I regularly get 3.5 lph on my Mav. Not a scientific test, just looking at the usage on the tank markers. Still getting 4 lph on normal flying. I was expecting much worse tbh (with a GTX 22).

On 6 August 2018 at 09:12, Mark Morgan said:

normally the lighter weight engines are very fuel hungry..  Moster ave 5lph  same for the nitro 200, 280 to be confirmed but Vince said he flew 40 mins the other day and burnt about 4.2 litres flying a 20m Luna 2..   6.3lph !!!!

Mav only has a 10 litre tank so max flight time 2 hours or 60-70km

So what you need to ask your self is what kind of flying you want to do and for how long. if you just want to blast around for an hour take your pick of the light machines, but if you want to go for longer... 

light also comes with some minor draw backs with strength..  Go and flex some of them and see for your self... some not all are suffering with Netting issues..   

If you have Knee issues and want to fly more than 60-70 km i would start to look at trike... Have a look on XC planner mark out some places you would like to fly to in your local area and work out distance etc.. 

I was going to look at an air conception nitro 200 this weekend.... I've heard good reviews for this paramotor, 

would you not recommend it then?

Thanks 

17 hours ago, LiamSmith said:

I was going to look at an air conception nitro 200 this weekend.... I've heard good reviews for this paramotor, 

would you not recommend it then?

Thanks 

Just work out your Ave speed and the fuel burn this will give you your range. For people who want to fly for one or two hours max or two hours and a bit in reserve just incase then most of these engines will be fine.. but if you want to fly say a 100km triangle I doubt you will make it... Go test/try before you buy..   we regularly fly to a friends field 45mins away, Have a chat and brew then all head to the beach and have a wang around another 60 mins land again, then fly home 45mins to an hour  sometime this could turn into 3 hours if we have great conditions for playing on the beach...   Just make sure your buying the machine that suits your flying or the flying you will want to do..