Am i crazy to be looking at used paramotor equipment?

I'm just starting my training and have been looking at equipment to buy once I'm done and ready to go on my own.  While buying all brand new gear isnt going to kill me money wise the logical (and cheaper) side of me says whatever i buy now, be it new or used, will probably be traded out once i get some hours under me and am trying new things so i should just get things that have already depreciated.  Of course its easier to buy new and probably the safer option too.  

Being new i also have the disadvantage of not really knowing what im buying either way so i would have to rely on the seller or dealer.  

So whats the general consensus when buying your first rig?  Always new stuff or go used then upgrade when you know what you really want?

Start training with a good instructor before doing anything. I bought my kit half way through training so I could finish my training on my own kit. This way I was already used to the kit and could progress quickly on my own after training.

I've already started with Simon.  I'm hoping to have completed my training by September if the weather permits.  I can only do weekends which gives me some time to consider equipment.  I would love to complete training on my own stuff or at the very least have it ready to go once I'm done.  

Simon will give you good advice on kit and won't try to force you to buy from him either so well worth soaking up his knowledge.

For me, both back in 2007 when I started (and stopped!)  and during the last winter when I chose to try flying again, i opted for a new wing and a used motor.  My logic being that i'm reasonably okay with engines so I can maintain them and fix them and generally spot a problem.   And if it fails in flight I won't fall out of the sky.

However for my own peace of mind I prefer to have a wing that I know the history of so I took advice on modern wings and went with a new one.

Andy.

There's nothing wrong with going for 2nd hand equipment and there's loads of good stuff on the market.  But there's also lots of rubbish, so the important thing is to find someone experienced who can advise you, so you don't end up with shite or inappropriate stuff.  Good luck.

Christian