Fuel Reserve Indicator

Reserve Fuel Indicator

Thinking back to my early motorcycling days reserve was always a great way to remind you were getting low on fuel. Long before modern tech took over.

Ok not sure if people would want to have this feature on a Paramotor? I know some people carry a mirror low tech but effective, but if flying condition have changed and maybe letting go of controls not the best option.

I know you can buy this off the shelf but if you have some spare time and like to tinker and with a bit of common sense. With some cheap components you can do if fairly easily and low cost.

My logic is a quick easy visual led. My logic if you feed the LED indication lead over the shoulder in the harness reserve bridle flap, at a glance you would see if LED is on indicating fuel has pasted reserve level you set. Small black rod would easily fix on frame next to fuel tank placing the photo resistor against tank or put photo sensor in cap and velcro to tank.

I will try it out let you know how I get on :) if i works I will post all the list of all components and how I made it. Cost so far about £10

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well done on your motivation and work - however this subject does tend to crop up regularly, and has done for years. You should ideally have a pretty good idea of your fuel situation before you even leave the ground, accounting for the burn rate, conditions, etc. Needing a reserve fuel warning would be okay if you only buzz around your take off area but for anything else you probably need a better idea in your head of your fuel situation. 

• Like 1

Problem is, even if I'm aware of my fuel situation and use the mirror, I sometimes get the feeling, aahhh fuck it, I want to check that place over there before I land... and minutes later I have to leave my stuff and walk 2 km to get my car :(
No instrument can stop curiosity (or stupidity) :) But sure, it's fun to invent stuff!

• Like 1

Update :)

Never rely on tech. A GPS is great but not a replacement for map or good knowledge off area you are travelling. Just a little project when bored on tea break. Cost minimal,  light weight may work may not ?. Anyway fitted to motor and tested on empty tank then changing light level seem ok. The pontensiometer may need tweaking and tested outside in the light of day.

Edited by papster
Spelling
  • Like 2

I will probably either change holder of LED to face to right for better viewing. I am waiting to see if my very basic soldering and logic works :)

I may using your idea if I find that my components work. I did not spend  a great deal on this lol. Do you find the photoresistor copes ok.

My logic is for it just to be there as a reminder if fuel burn ends up being higher than planned.

5 hours ago, papster said:

IDo you find the photoresistor copes ok.

My logic is for it just to be there as a reminder if fuel burn ends up being higher than planned.

Currently, I have the sensor mounted to the tank via velcro. And I have the sensor wire long enough for me to place it at various locations during the flight so I can continue to monitor for different levels.

Start the XC flight with full tank (10+ L) so the sensor is set at 4L (approx 30-45 mins left, if I forgot a mirror check). Once lit, I move it to 3L (usually heading back too, with the wind) and last 2L.

If I can't take advantage of the wind, I turn around earlier using mirror since I haven't set it up to reach 6-7L range yet.

I am still calibrating the sensor sensitivity to compensate for the vibration (loosen the velcro connection). Long term, when have some free time, I will work on a different system that doesn't use velcro.