Flying over the Bristol Channel

Hi all, I'm a newbie from Wales. Not started any training yet just wanted to ask the question whether flying over the Bristol Channel would be a feasible option for a paramotor?

After looking at the restricted air space the shortest crossing closest to me is a little under 20km. After doing some research it seems that should an issue occur landing in water is one of the last things that you want to do on a paramotor. But I was thinking if I started the crossing at 3000-4000m should I get into any trouble I could just glide to the other side? I have friends and family on the other side so I can wait for favourable wind conditions to fly back to the other side.

On another note my closest instructor axis would want me to learn to paraglide before I learn PPG. What are your opinions of this (i dont really have any desire to fly without a motor) would it be better to just travel to an instructor that will start me on a paramotor?

Welcome to PMC Saiwha. You have a bit of a grand ambition there, not just crossing the channel but doing it at two or more miles high. I'd give yourself a bit of experience (actually quite a bit) before you think about that kind of undertaking. 

For large water crossings you'd also need boat cover, emergency buoyancy and lots of other stuff to think about. If I were you I'd just focus on getting some training for now. Steve at Axis is a good guy.

A lot of people just go straight to PPG but you'll need to learn to control the glider before you add a power unit.

Whereabouts are you located? 

• Like 1

Yes, I wasn't planning on taking the trip until I was well experienced flying over land just wanted to know if ultimately it was a possibility. 

I was hoping to take the trip alone, would starting the crossing at a height where I could glide to land make the boat cover unnecessary? 

I am located just outside Bridgend.

Hi Saiwha, I am currently training with Steve at Axis and he is indeed a good guy.

You only need to do the EP portion of the BHPA Paragliding certification which covers all the basics including ground handling and your first free flights (hops) which takes a few days and cant be much different than what you would have to do anywhere.

My original intention was to do the EP and then get straight onto Paramotors, but I really enjoyed the free flight so am now doing both CP (Free flight) and PPG. It turns out we are blessed with loads of great paragliding sites locally (I'm in Cardiff) and it seems a waste not to be able to take advantage of them as well as having the option to explore with a motor.

I've got a paramotor day booked in with Steve tomorrow so hope to be flying solo in the near future. Give me a shout when you get in the air and we could hook up as I havent seen any PMC clubs on the map in our area.

Cheers

Paul

1 minute ago, PaulLewis said:

I've got a paramotor day booked in with Steve tomorrow so hope to be flying solo in the near future. Give me a shout when you get in the air and we could hook up as I havent seen any PMC clubs on the map in our area.

No clubs but a few PPG pilots in the Cardiff area and one or two of us up in the Brecon Beacons. :-)