Tighter turns

Hi everyone, just looking for a little guidance from more experienced pilots than me please.

I fly a standard wing, Ozone Magmax under quite a heavy trike. I'm very happy with this combination and as I have been slowly building my hours I have been quite happy with adopting pretty flat turns.....very much as a change of direction rather than anything more.

I am now looking to extend this (slowly and carefully at a good height) to tighter turns. Nothing extreme/wingovers, just a bit more 'interesting'. I always fly with a little pressure in both brakes, but would appreciate any do's or don'ts on this. I don't have a regular instructor available and no other flyers close by.

Many thanks,

Guy

17 hours ago, Guy said:

Hi everyone, just looking for a little guidance from more experienced pilots than me please.

I fly a standard wing, Ozone Magmax under quite a heavy trike. I'm very happy with this combination and as I have been slowly building my hours I have been quite happy with adopting pretty flat turns.....very much as a change of direction rather than anything more.

I am now looking to extend this (slowly and carefully at a good height) to tighter turns. Nothing extreme/wingovers, just a bit more 'interesting'. I always fly with a little pressure in both brakes, but would appreciate any do's or don'ts on this. I don't have a regular instructor available and no other flyers close by.

Many thanks,

Guy

Hi Guy,

Can you get over to the Summer Fly-in or Parafest? I imagine a weekend surrounded by pilots will do you a lot of good.  

17 hours ago, AndyB said:

I (and think most trained pilots) was taught and practised the answers to all  those questions when I was being trained.

I was trained on a powered parachute wing, so little finesse required there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Hi Guy,

Can you get over to the Summer Fly-in or Parafest? I imagine a weekend surrounded by pilots will do you a lot of good.  

Hi Steve.

Yes, I am hoping to get to parafest so that is a very good suggestion..........many thanks.

Guy

34 minutes ago, Guy said:

I was trained on a powered parachute wing, so little finesse required there.

A typical turn training schedule would be something like this, all done at height:

1. Fly figure of eights.

2. 360 degree turns. Pulling left brake to give a give 3 x 360 turns. Learn to hold the turn and need to compensate in/out of wind. Coming out of turn smoothly by 'damping'. 

3. 360 turns to the right, as above.

4. S turn pattern to lose height without gaining forward distance into wind. Large and small S's to be learned and control of height through S turn size

Have fun

49 minutes ago, AndyB said:

A typical turn training schedule would be something like this, all done at height:

1. Fly figure of eights.

2. 360 degree turns. Pulling left brake to give a give 3 x 360 turns. Learn to hold the turn and need to compensate in/out of wind. Coming out of turn smoothly by 'damping'. 

3. 360 turns to the right, as above.

4. S turn pattern to lose height without gaining forward distance into wind. Large and small S's to be learned and control of height through S turn size

Have fun

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. Guy

• 2 weeks later...