hi remember going to the first parafestevent in wales.in the valley. i was showing off did a spiral. and knowing the force=g-force i was creating..  it snapped my seat board.  nothing drastic but landed.and as it was inside the harness i patched it up and later bought a new carbon fibre seat board.and the old board was getting on a bit. "live and learn 0r learn and live "

I remember that I snapped a seat board that was made of twinwall polycarbonate sheet. It was lightweight and stiff, but not made for spirals :) Felt like I was sitting in a bag and I had to pull myself up with the risers before I landed. No big deal, I replaced it with a 5-6 mm aluminium plate that I punched holes in, it took way more time than it was worth to make it. But I also learnt how to use the punching machine. It ended up much more solid than it had to be, stick with carbon or plywood :P
RFZrKVUVwpPTV6pYN9-bOtAyzt9YsEWtuXUMVxJz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony,  

Thanks for sharing the video.

I hope you don't mind a comment or two.

First of all, you really need to take a full wrap given the length of you brakes.   I used to do sats on a freestyle glider with acro handles similar to your and I would wrap so my hand initiating the turn was above the toggle.  This is because once the glider drops horizontal as you are looking at it you need to pull more and you hand was just too low. I'm not sure you would be able to pull enough and hard enough to enter a SAT with your hand so low.  Saying that, I've never flown the Viper so I dont know and don't know if you have done a SAT before. (Also, your right leg needed to be across your left and you need to brace the right riser with your right arm. I can't see whether you were doing that.) 

This caused you to enter a spiral dive which is ok when practising SAT's.  It better to enter a spiral than spin the glider.

The reason for the cravat was due to a very fast uncontrolled exit out of the spiral and the climb and subsequent pendulum and surge.

With regards to dealing with and removing the cravat, then pulling the stabilo line or 'the loose line' would have most likely removed it.

My advice would be to practice controlled entries and exits of tight 360's and exiting on a pre determinind heading.  As you become more proficient at a controlled exit, then you can gradually increase the speed of rotaion in the turns until you get towards a nose down spiral dive and can exit slowly with some opposite weight shift while releasing the inside brake and perhaps introducing a little outside brake beforeapplying inside brake again to steadily bleed off the speed and then exit on the heading without any exit climb and surge.

The best place to learn SAT's is on an SIV course over water ideally.  

Edited by ian5708

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 13:53, ian5708 said:

Hi Tony,  

Thanks for sharing the video.

I hope you don't mind a comment or two.

First of all, you really need to take a full wrap given the length of you brakes.   I used to do sats on a freestyle glider with acro handles similar to your and I would wrap so my hand initiating the turn was above the toggle.  This is because once the glider drops horizontal as you are looking at it you need to pull more and you hand was just too low. I'm not sure you would be able to pull enough and hard enough to enter a SAT with your hand so low.  Saying that, I've never flown the Viper so I dont know and don't know if you have done a SAT before. (Also, your right leg needed to be across your left and you need to brace the right riser with your right arm. I can't see whether you were doing that.) 

This caused you to enter a spiral dive which is ok when practising SAT's.  It better to enter a spiral than spin the glider.

The reason for the cravat was due to a very fast uncontrolled exit out of the spiral and the climb and subsequent pendulum and surge.

With regards to dealing with and removing the cravat, then pulling the stabilo line or 'the loose line' would have most likely removed it.

My advice would be to practice controlled entries and exits of tight 360's and exiting on a pre determinind heading.  As you become more proficient at a controlled exit, then you can gradually increase the speed of rotaion in the turns until you get towards a nose down spiral dive and can exit slowly with some opposite weight shift while releasing the inside brake and perhaps introducing a little outside brake beforeapplying inside brake again to steadily bleed off the speed and then exit on the heading without any exit climb and surge.

The best place to learn SAT's is on an SIV course over water ideally.  

hmm, show us all your sats on u-tube?. then ill make a comment or two.. have u any u-tube videos at all showing sats? do show us to see. on u-tube is that your u-tube name ian5708? ill check to see.  and you never mentioned my spiral? why not? oh just checked on u-tube = no videos ian5708. show us your sats over water ... ideally. 1/do you fly ppg? 2/have you ever done a sat with a three liner? = ozone viper 3? 4/ as for taking a wrap as mentioned..are you saying no matter what brand of wing.i have to take a wrap always? yes or no?.5/ have you ever done a sat over water with a ppg doing a sat? yes or no. 6/ show me a video of yourself doing a sat over water using a ppg? i know for a fact depending on the type of wing some wings you may need to take a wrap .... but it depends on the type of wing? iam i correct. or are you wrong?   7/has anyone done a sat with an ozone viper 3? please show me..? then ill make comment or two just like you have date 2/5/18 solely for ian 5708 to reply. no one else needs to. there's always two sides of a story. never just one.. " I've already been on a siv course over water" is the water always going to be there if i get into trouble? answer no!!. the water won't be there. and if i choose to practice over land. then it's up to me.no one else.i practice to be experienced i cannot go on a siv course every year.( ppg siv course) and doing a siv with  a pg .its not the same it's far different.i fly a paramotor.. not a paraglider with no engine.. there needs to be more siv courses solely for just paramotors in the world. at a guess, there is two. spain and usa but I may be wrong..

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR