beach flying

Hi, we are in-between fronts...one passed thru Monday, the next due this evening. We often get a gap of 6 to 10 hours when the wind is under 5 knots. The wind switches thru 180 degrees over an hour. This was the exact time I decided to fly today! It was a little bumpy but not as bad as the cold, very damp air (did I mention cold?) that was 8 degrees (apparently!).

• Haha 1

what I wouldn't give to be that close to a beech my field were I fly from is about 4 min from my house I pass it every day when I go to work and can see it from my bedroom at min just dream of flying from it :/ bloody weather lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna be getting trained and a new scout in a month or 2. I' m spoiled. I live on a yacht in the whitsundays Australia and I am normally anchored about 10 miles from Whitehaven beach.? It's obviously very hot, does anyone know if coastal areas are affected by strong themals and turbullance, like happens over land? i would like to know if it is safe to fly during the day. thanks. mark.

You wontget thermals on the shoreline if you have an onshore wind Mark. Onshore winds tend to be steady and smooth.  Offahore winds tend to be rougher though and blow thermals from the land over the shoreline.

Early morning and late evening will avoid most thermal activity though.

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

You wontget thermals on the shoreline if you have an onshore wind Mark. Onshore winds tend to be steady and smooth.  Offahore winds tend to be rougher though and blow thermals from the land over the shoreline.

Early morning and late evening will avoid most thermal activity though.

thanks for your reply m8. thats good to hear. that should open up many more daytime flying in paradice. cheers, huggy.

9 hours ago, AndyB said:

I fly in 40 deg C in Spain at any time of day on the beach, provided the sea breeze is working....which is most of the time.

thats good to hear. i'm normally hungover in the morning and drunk in the afternoon. lunchtimes my goldilocks zone. thanks. ?

• Like 1