My training journey...

You'll get there. Don't ever except that forward launches are "hit and miss".  If you fail a launch, immediately work out why. I'll bet 80% of the time when you look at the video you can see a real reason for the failure. Two of launches there look just like ones I often did when training. Every launch needs your head to be thinking 110% effort , full commitment, no let up, legs pumping forward like you playing rugby. One looks like you were at 90% and the second one looks like once the wing was up you went to 80%, anticipating a problem, but actually causing the problem by backing off slightly......you can see the wing just doesn't have enough air flow to keep it up so it starts to collapse.

I'm stuck in a hospital bed, so loads of time to watch videos! :)

• Thanks 1

Nearly everyone used to do it like this, so it's still quite common with many who have never done it any other way. Many years ago I was taught by my BHPA instructor to start it like that, with a knee in to the harness 'for security'.  It's good we've all moved on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asquaddie said:

AndyB - Totally agree, not a good way to show a machine to a first time buyer!!!

Must be a heavy old beast though!!

I was once that first time buyer, I was shown the very same way. The next day, I started it for the first time, the engine overan and I lost a finger and all my tips. It was a Bailey in a Zenith frame and I never did it again. It put my training on hold for 3 months and wrecked my confidence.

The picture might bring it home.......

ACEC009B-1A61-4DAF-976F-7D2DD7B0373F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Nearly everyone used to do it like this, so it's still quite common with many who have never done it any other way. Many years ago I was taught by my BHPA instructor to start it like that, with a knee in to the harness 'for security'.  It's good we've all moved on. 

Me too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments (and pic ?). Just so you know, I've never started my motor on the ground and never will. Saw enough pics like that while I was learning to make that decision before I ever went near a paramotor.
Weight-wise, I don't have much to compare it to, but is not noticably heavier than the Bailey V5 I did my first few flights on. I was pleasantly surprised, expecting the V2 frame to weigh much more than it does. I did lift a Miniplane Top 80 a few weeks ago, that was LIGHT. But to tell the truth, I can't complain.. I wanted a Bailey for XC and a solid frame for taking a learner's bumps.

• Like 1