Getting into seat

bigdaddy

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I was actually wondering if my speedbar would do the job. When it is not connected to the risers I always loop the free ends back across the middle and attach them to each other. Hence it can only pull out a little as it takes up the bit of slack.

Hmmm... not a habit I'd want to start. Just on the off chance you forget it is connected one day. That would be a short flight!
Added to that, I'd imagine it'd pull the risers closer together, connected in the middle like that.
Maybe one for the ideas shelf. 9_9

Maybe, but I was assuming it would not take too much force to get into the seat and the legs (me), the bar of the speed bar and the seat board hold the sides apart. I'll try it on the hang test first!.......I have overhead beam and chain block in my garage. :)

I have a bulldog with the standard dudek harness. I'm 6 2 and quite a big build and have absolutely no prob getting in to the harness; in fact it positively wants to get me in the seat on its own. My motor was set up by my instructor on a wooden rig. One thing I can definitely say is that my leg straps aren't loose.

As has already been said, do a hang test with somebody who knows what they are doing and you shouldnt  have any more issues.

When I first started flying paramotors I had the same issue as well. This actually ruined my first flight to a certain extent and I couldn't enjoy it fully. Couple of hang tests and re-adjustment of all straps from scratch fixed it. Afterwards I could take off, gain a bit of altitude to clear any potential obstacles then lift my knees up towards my body and .. voila! When I familiarised myself fully with my motor and wing behaviour I could do the "knees up" exercise safely during takeoff. I hope this helps. 

I could not get into my harness  on my first 2 flights paragliding and paramotoring  .My instructors on both times  told me to loosen my  shoulder straps to maximum  and that worked.  My older harness  was always  difficult to get into, or out off for landing.

I do find that a larger free flying harness is easier to get into than my tight fit one.

If I must be honest when I upgraded to the latest harness  on my zenith  I never even set it up , yust took it for a flight. I have taken off with legstraps / shoulder straps loose , tight or in between and it allways yust scoop me up into the seat , sometimes to easily  , I have to force myself hanging on take offs

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on where your located i'd go do a hang test with an official trainer, Mike Chilvers (Chilly) at ufly4fun is thru and thru Bulldog man and could adjust your harness to be right, as several at spalding fly with Bulldogs and a couple taller that you, and to my knowledge not 1 of them has any trouble getting into the seat. Should say pilots of all shapes and sizes aswell.

actually i have just remembered, this is one of the really great things about the design of the Nirvana rodeo...the side comfort bars are quite short and if needed will hinge downwards when you are standing, thus allowing your butt to be right in the seat from a standing position. Also, as with many designs, the rear section of the lower seat quite easily rotates upwards with your butt cheeks when you are standing. I find that on my unit, so long as leg straps are adjusted correctly, there is really no need to wiggle into seat.

I believe that this is one of the determining factors between a great paramotor design and a very ordinary one. Poor seat design not only makes it hard to get into, its hard to launch as well. Recently, i mentioned i blew 5 launches in a row on my other"el cheepo" dle powered unit whilst my nirvana was undergoing some minor repairs to its exhaust silencer. I got back into the nirvana the other day and couldnt believe how much easier it is to launch...and that is hard to believe when one considers the Nirvana is almost 10kg's heavier than the DLE powered unit. 

I am now a real believer in the notion that paramotor quality, design, functionality, and geometry are extremely important and should always be considered over purchase price. If one cannot afford a new quality unit, definately go for a second hand one that is a top name brand known for the above mentioned parameters.

Just to give a heads up, there is a Nirvana Instinct (simo 200cc engine) with 34 hours on it for sale in Australia at present for only $6500 Aussie dollars (thats 4000 Euro). This is an absolute bargain especially considering all the gear the owner is selling with it (ie 3 blade carbon prop, agami water flotation system etc). Its for sale on the high adventure facebook page (australia high adventure btw)

see it on following page...https://www.facebook.com/groups/176413562398519/

Edited by adamjedgar
  • Like 1

Make sure you pull the seat down before takeoff. The Bulldog seat has a tendency to creep up your back which will only make things more difficult. 

Aside from that, do some crunches to improve your stomach muscles. You should be able to lift your knees and slide in nicely. 

Lastly, check the angle of the seat isn't too verticle, which will also make it difficult to get in.