Chance Waite

Electric Paramotor...with a Generator???

Something I have been thing about lately and may very well do, if I can figure out the particulars...I wanted to somehow acquire  a used paramotor frame on a trike and use a 2000W generator to provide a direct A/C current to a 80kv brushless motor. Seeing as how the power supplied from teh generator is 120v, I am not sure if I need to "step-down" the voltage, since the motor is rated at 70v, using a step-down device (power supply) or if I can just use a heavy duty ESC to do this for me, along with a servo to meter the power and thus the speed to the motor. Any thoughts on how I could accomplish this or is it even possible? I am looking to extend the flight time by mounting a "super-quiet" or some other variety of generator to the paramotor frame rather than a standard gas engine, or batteries in the case of an elec motor,  to power the prop. Is there some kind of "supply and demand" law I am violating or some other reason people resort to using batteries in this sort of an application rather than a generator?

• Like 1

My machine is rated at a little over 21 kw.

Level flight (for me) is somewhere around 65% of that, so 13.6 kw.

Current battery technology gives you around 30 minutes flight for 20 kg battery.

So:

1. Flying with a battery. A 2 kw generator will provide only 15% of power needed. So during the time taken for the battery to run down will add enough back for another 4.5 minutes. A bigger battery would be a lot lighter than having the generator on board as well.

2. Without a battery. You need at bigger than a 14 kw generator and it will weigh lots more than just having the petrol engine/prop.

The point is, hybrid vehicles are aimed at economy and not weight saving. They are very heavy.

• Like 1

Well, originally, to increase flight times. However, I spoke to a mechanical engineer who works for a large aerial vehicle company who told me that I would not be able to generate enough amperage using a generator (one that is small enough to fit on your paramotor trike), so I guess I would have to use batteries. I am not as excited about that though, so I probably will stick to gas engines for now.

Flylight at Sywell near Northampton have experimented with these hybrids in conjunction with engineering boffins at Cambridge university for many years with at least 2 different 3 axis efficient microlights. They can get the aircraft flying but the performance is never much more than marginal.

you should check out a guy on youtube called robert murray smith, he's a proper mad scientist type of bloke that makes batteries and does all sorts of other fun chemistry type stuff, he built a graphene battery for an electric moped out of a stack of printer paper, dropping the much heavier OEM battery for something that's a fair bit lighter albeit a bit bulkier, gives a little glimpse of what battery tech in the coming years will be like, far lighter, more energy density etc, ideal for use in the air where weight is a premium.