Integrated tip steering on original speedster/sirrocco

Has anyone setup the original speedster/sirrocco with integrated tip steering on main brakes?

I have a high hang point no weight shift unit...just using main brakes requires enormous amounts of brake input to counterract torque steering and indeed to maintain level flight under power. I am talking pulling and holding at least 1 foot of brake.

Before anyone says it...no there is not excessive free play...its almost got no free play.

I find if i use both tip steering and main brakes it is much better and flies more like my dudek wing does with only main brakes. Trouble is, the dudek universal wing, although 1m bigger and a lower end wing than the ozone sirrocco, feels more manoureable without using tip steering + main brakes together than the sirrocco is using both. 

Perhaps the sirrocco is not designed for ppg units with no weightshift?

When flying it today it seemed to me that the brake upper cascades are not really engaging much of the outer half of the rear wing. To my way of thinking this means the brakes simply do not have enough mechanical advantage to produce responsive turn. So my solution is one of 2 ideas...

1.alter the brake cascades by shortening those running to out rear section of wing to engage outer rears a little more when brakes are pulled or,

2. Setup an integrated steering system that uses main brakes and tips together. I worry that there is the belief on reflex wings that using main brakes when in full reflex mode with speed system activated is a dangerous thing to do. So on the original sirrocco am i going into dangerous territory in considering this idea?

Edited by adamjedgar

I did a 2 hour free flight on Sorocco today...it doesnt turn well, however for low hang point harnesd i need to shorten brakes lines( which i did not do today) so i will reserve my judgement for now.

I am going to shorten brake lines for my high hang point paramotor to see how it goes...this is so main brakes engage earlier to be in better sync with tip steering.

Maybe 1cm of asymetrical trim will help you?

On my ozone i plugged my tip line to the brake handle. It took me a flight or two to determinate the right lenght of the line (where to make the knot) not to be pulled on full opened trims or to be too much loose on full in trims.

On 24/02/2018 at 22:23, ask21 said:

Maybe 1cm of asymetrical trim will help you?

On my ozone i plugged my tip line to the brake handle. It took me a flight or two to determinate the right lenght of the line (where to make the knot) not to be pulled on full opened trims or to be too much loose on full in trims.

How did that go when using trimmers where only tip steering is meant to be used?

I can not upload a pic from my phone.

Anyway: now i have got only 1 handle. The standard one.

From this there are two cable, one lead to the tip, the other is the traditional brake.

So i have not to switch from one to the other or to keep two handle together (i did this before)

Tips are tied so that they are shorter than main brakes.

By doing this, when trims are released, tips are very effective and are engaged before brakes.

If you need, you can always grab the tube and go the traditional way.

It is hard to explain, but i am happy with it.

Just find the right lenght

adamjedgar u mention that u have a" have a high hang point no weight shift unit."   then u mention u have a  ".it doesn't turn well, however for low hang point harness i need to shorten brakes" which harness hang point would you need advise on = one or both?    risers connected to the brakes and tips = 2d risers.   have you asked the dealers for advice on this type of wing? the wing depending on age may need to be checked out... if u mess about with the brake risers and tstips youll f.. up the aoa = brakes and 2d risers= aoa. think about taking the wing to the loft or? get wing checked over. a very quick assessment

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR

• 2 weeks later...

Oh i should have been a little clearer...

1. My ppg units are both high hang point. When the wing was brand new i was the first person to fly it out of the box. I setup its brake lines for high hang point for my paramotor unit on its test flight... it appears that the first owner (who is an ozone dealer) did not then re adjust brake lengths to suit his own ppg unit (which is low hang point). I say this because they were in same position as i had setup for its first flight after i unpacked it out of the box. Its first owner dmaged an ankle flying on this wing and i suspect that is partly why its hardly flown even though its around 3 years old.

I free flew it to sus out whether weight shift made any real difference...i free fly high performance 2 liner en-d and ccc class gliders so im a reasonably capable pilot...i can say that weighshift didnt really fix the problem much...essentially the manouvrability of the sirocco is rather poor when just using main brakes at trim speed even with weightshift. Considering Ozones experience in designing gliders i am surprised at the lack of turning authority on main brakes. I dont see this as a bad thing, its just a different philosophy to what i am used to with my dudek...which has excellent turning authority on main brakes.

Wing is almost brand new...its done approx 6 flights.

Another thing i notice is that the Sirocco brakes dont produce much additional lift in the flare when landing trimmers neutral (if any at all).

Add this lack of flare authority to my above equation of poor turning and to my way of thinking the ozone design philosophy with this wing seems fundamentally flawed.

I will reserve my judgement until i have flown it enough times to experiment more.

Edited by adamjedgar