Tie-down point?

Hi all. I'm getting my Thule towbar mounted carrier ready to carry my Parajet V3. The only thing left is to mount the stainless steel eyebolts, but the position is dependent on where is best/safest to attach the ratchet straps. I think the upper engine mount bolts (middle pic) look like the best and strongest option, but the other option is shown in the first pic, although I don't think that is suitable myself. Has anyone else got any better ideas as to how to tiedown the V3 in an upright position, please? I'm travelling from Santander to Cadiz and back (900Km each way), so want it safe and secure!

2018-02-11 08.52.36.jpg

2018-02-11 08.53.31.jpg

2018-02-11 08.56.31.jpg

I made a upside down 'V' shape from wood on top.  So my V3 frame just slids into. Also stopped it moving sidewards.

Had it well over 5 years now and works a treat for short journeys.

Also lowered the numberplate, because when you load your motor onto it - it kept catching the top of the number plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I have a tie down scheme for my motor in a trailer, but unfortunately can't post pictures here for some reason.

Regardless of what scheme you use to secure eye bolts etc to the baseboard of your carrier (I use two strips of load lock load restraint track https://www.nationwide-trailer-parts.co.uk/collections/track-load-restraint and position the motor inside it, with ratchet straps down either side of the motor into the load lock) I would urge caution about how you secure the ratchet straps to the actual motor.

Metal to metal contact will result in vibration and after 1800 km I'm pretty sure the ratchet hooks will have worn away parts of your precious motor.  I use two short (12 inch) double slings of proper paracord which I pass round a horizontal part of the frame on port and starboard (the points you show using in the photos would be ideal).  To each of these loops, I clip a decent sized carabiner to secure the loop and then pass the ratchet strap through the carabiner, with the 'claw' of the strap going back down to the load restraint track, so both ends of the ratchet strap are secured to the base board.  This means that the paramotor has frame-to-paracord loop (i.e. no metal to metal ), the ratchet strap goes strap-to-carabiner, so no metal to metal or paracord to strap (so no sawing through or friction).  I can then tension really hard with the ratchet, knowing that I won't break the frame, there is a built in (but strong) weak link of paracord or if you use an open carabiner rather than a climbing one, the jaws of the carabiner will gradually bend if you put an incredible amount of tension on the  ratchet strap (not sure if this physically possible in this set up but I have done it when securing other loads to the trailer).

If you were really fussed, you could put a bit of cloth under the paracord to stop it polishing the frame, but after 3 years of using this scheme I've noticed absolutely no detriment to the frame, and I secured the motor rock steady to the trailer.  The more secure it, the less vibration and friction there is through the tie down, so less chance of damage.  I stop after 15 minutes and double check all the lashings but there is seldom any slack, but better safe than sorry.

Hope this is useful... 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Hamishdylan, and to all the other suggestions. I totally agree that metal to metal contact should be avoided, and you're idea of the paracord loops around the engine mounts is spot on. Your suggestion of stopping to check the straps is a given, as I once saw my mate lose his jetski through the straps coming loose after only a few miles. That was down to poor quality ratchet straps, but could have been avoided if he'd stopped to check. Regards, and thanks. Dave.

I use standard ratchet straps.....but they pass in a loop under the platform the paramotor is sat on. Hence only nylon part touches the machine. This also eliminates the need for anything on the platform to attach the straps to.