Advice for someone looking to get into Paramotoring?!

Evening all,

I'm looking for some advice (and/or encouragement here!) as I would really like to try my hand at paramotoring!

I've been a biker for many years now, and relish the sense of freedom and sense of adventure. I remember when I first thought I might like motorcycling, I went out on the back of a friends bike and took  a couple of taster lessons before I decided to commit to it. Similarly, I think I might like paramotoring, especially considering the area I live in (cusp of the North Yorkshire Dales), but is there any way of getting a taster for it, without having to commit large sums of money, for example, a tandem flight? 

1. How safe do you consider paramotoring to be? Do you think it's more or less dangerous than motorcycling?

2. What would be a sensible budget to get in the air, safely? (I'm 82 KG's)

3. Do you usually fly solo, or in a group? Are there many social events/fly in's? Is there much going on in North Yorkshire usually?

Really appreciate anyone's feedback?

Hi Stuart,

1. How safe do you consider paramotoring to be? Do you think it's more or less dangerous than motorcycling?

A lot less dangerous than a motorbike. There are far more high risk air sports than paramotoring.

2. What would be a sensible budget to get in the air, safely? (I'm 82 KG's)

About £6/7k for nearly new kit  motor/wing/helmet/comms 

3. Do you usually fly solo, or in a group?

Solo and with another person .....

Good luck ! 

I agree that you should start with some training. Find an instructor that will provide all gear needed for the training. This should cost about $2000 to $3000 to teach you what you will need to know anyway and you will get some real flights with instructor guidance. Once you've made it through that little adventure you can decide if it feels safe enough and if you've enjoyed it enough to spend the money on your own gear.

• 1 month later...

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum.

Where do you live in N Yorks? I live near Richmond. There's a few local lads about, but no school.

I had a taster tandem at Hornsea with Alan and Paul from Hull paramotors. It's was definitely the right thing for me. I got to have a low level flight along the beach too....awesome what you can do on these amazing machines!

• 2 weeks later...

Another biker here :) I was also a racer (local and italian races) and for sure paramotoring is less less dangerous than motorcycling on the road with friends

Here in Italy prices are considerably lower than UK

Buying all stuff BRAND NEW, you can get a good Paramotor 125cc, a good "A" wing and flight lessons for 4.5 / 5K£ (I'm 85KG)

I've bought all used stuff (60h Wing WindTech Honey PW and 100h Paramotor with SKyEngines 110s engine) and my total spent has been 4K £, lessons included

I usually Fly with at least 1 friend! But often we are 4-5 per flight :)

Edited by David125

hi, have a" tandem flight". while in the flight you'll get the chance to control the brake toggles.etc this way you'll find out if flying is for you. tandem flights are carried out by experienced instructors.   paramotor tandem flight.  social events "2018 parafest event wales" i weigh 100kg.   small medium-large or XXL all sorts of wing sizes for all sorts of people

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR
  • Like 1