New to the Sport

I would like to introduce myself to you all. I am an American living in England,  I am 64years old, 113k and 6'3". I have been interested in flying all my life and have 10 hours in a Fix Wing Microlight (Thruster 600N). That was back in 2000. It became too expensive and I had to quit. Times have changed and would love to fly again. I have done much research on Wings and Motors but because there is so much to choose from I need additional help. I understand the need for training and intend to seek this out but in the meantime, I want to make sure I get the right equipment. As an Engineer I understand motors. Its the wing I need help with. I would like to do XC or just flying around. I am not into wingovers but also do not want a wing that is boring to fly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy Steve,

There is a lot of advice sloshing around at present about exactly this. Personally I'd wait, talk to an instructor and try some wings before you do anything. There is no rush and the rewards are truly great.

That said... from what I see, everyone seems to love the Dudek Universal as a solid starting/advanced wing. Whatever you do go for, the new wings are so immeasurably better than they used to be 3-4 years ago... so you'll be fine, but you will need a big one!

Thanks Lee. I guess I forgot to mention that I would be using this wing in conjunction with a motor. Even though I live by the Malvern Hills, there is a huge field to takeoff and land in by my house. 2 of the wings I was thinking about are Ozone and Airdesign.

I fully intend to get training and listen to the experts but to my way of thinking to blindly take even the word of an instructor without doing research is foolhardy. I like the idea of trying different wings, but first I need to know what it is I am looking at.

When you say "you will need a big one" what does that mean exactly?

Cheers

9 hours ago, SteveR said:

Thanks Lee. I guess I forgot to mention that I would be using this wing in conjunction with a motor. Even though I live by the Malvern Hills, there is a huge field to takeoff and land in by my house. 2 of the wings I was thinking about are Ozone and Airdesign.

I fully intend to get training and listen to the experts but to my way of thinking to blindly take even the word of an instructor without doing research is foolhardy. I like the idea of trying different wings, but first I need to know what it is I am looking at.

When you say "you will need a big one" what does that mean exactly?

Cheers

Ha, I only mean that as a 6'3" gent you'll be fairly high up the weight range and will need a sizable wing accordingly.

It sounds like you know what you're doing, so talk to lots of people, kite wings and ask questions. FYI I learnt a heck of a lot when I went to my first fly-in. Lots of experience (good and bad) concentrated in one place makes for a good classroom.

I wouldn't dare to comment on those wings as I only know about Dudek, but I have no doubt they have great wings, perfectly suited to you. If you want to use the wing for free flying and PPG you'll need to ensure everyone knows this when you're looking, as some are more or less suitable for both disciplines.

Best of luck with it all. There's certainly some great flying to be had Malvern way... enjoy!!!

5 hours ago, Lee Jackson said:

Ha, I only mean that as a 6'3" gent you'll be fairly high up the weight range and will need a sizable wing accordingly.

LOL, they grow them big where I come from, and I've got the scars on my head from not ducking to prove it. lol

Thanks for your help Lee. I appreciate all the help and knowledge I can get.