polini thor no spark

lee d

hi all

test flying my new second hand parajet V3 today with the polini thor 200 motor. after 45 mins the engine started spluttering. then engine died. managed a safe landing engine would not restart so took out the plug and laid it against the head. no spark when turning over. had a spare new plug tried that still no spark

any ideas

regards

lee 

Perhaps no ignition to coil...does it have any ignition switches, relays, or fuses? (Some paramotors dont have fuses but i thought i would ask anyway.)

Seems strange that a coil would go on a new engine...something must have come lose surely? ...oh you said new second hand...oops.

Edited by adamjedgar

Must say that my new V3 with the Moster plus had a faulty coil within 5 flights.  I swapped it and since then - had no problems.

I just put it down to a duff part, had a new one sent within 48 hrs

All correspondences done by email, because they said  I would be able to replace the part myself – scary  ?

• 2 weeks later...

electronics can fail at anytime...  

Start with the plug, then check the leads and Kill switch... if that fails check the Ohm reading on the Stater It should read around 300ohm, coils do go down but i'm not 100% sure how you can check a coil... 

On the Plus side... we stock all the parts ;-) 

2 hours ago, lee d said:

hi

well I ordered a new coil from Sussex paramotors. great service by the way. fitted it I now have a spark but still wont start so I'm going to take the head off to check the piston

regards

lee

Woah!

Before delving that deep check the basic stuff first.

If it hasn`t been run in a while the fuel system may need `refreshing`  - carb and lines primed, fuel deffo getting to carb, enrichening devices working etc, try another spark plug (even though the one you`re testing to see the spark may seem OK - they behave differently when under the stresses of the firing conditions when fitted)..

It may just need a little more `coaxing` after being inactive for so long.

Edited by Hann__

well that's not going to be easy to get the head off I need to take the plastic cowl off and in order to do that the whole engine will need to come off. thank you polini for making an easy job a lot harder.

anyone in Suffolk that does this for a living that I could take it to

regards

lee 

2 hours ago, Hann__ said:

Woah!

Before delving that deep check the basic stuff first.

If it hasn`t been run in a while the fuel system may need `refreshing`  - carb and lines primed, fuel deffo getting to carb, enrichening devices working etc, try another spark plug (even though the one you`re testing to see the spark may seem OK - they behave differently when under the stresses of the firing conditions when fitted)..

It may just need a little more `coaxing` after being inactive for so long.

hi ive got 4 different plugs no joy with any of them. ive cleared the old fuel out and replaced it with fresh still no joy

regards

lee

17 hours ago, Hann__ said:

How many times did you fly this motor prior to the coil problem?

What carburetor do you have?

hi

it was my first flight on it. after 35-40 mins I noticed it starting to loose power and run lumpy. thankfully I was in sight of my LZ and made it back before she died.

as for carb no idea

regards

lee 

15 hours ago, TONYPARAMOTOR said:

just clean the carb. check fuel filters.   better still. when first starting and using the prime bulb after a few pulls. take the spark plug out then look to see if any fuel is on the spark plug?

hi tony

I have checked the plug after a few pulls and have got fuel there

regards

lee

Lee i know were a fair distance away but we would be happy to check the motor over for you... 

Try and old school trick and fire a little fuel mix down the cylinder and see if she fires... this will tell you if it's down to fuel starvation...  I guess your on a walbro carb?... these can easily get clogged up if the motor has not been used for a while.. an Ultra sonic cleaner is a good way to clean any gunk from inside of the carb.. 

Give me a call on the Sussex Paramotors mobile number if you need any info...

hi sorry iam late. have you a brand new spark plug? .that you can use? if so first check that it sparks.on your moster and thor. i thought you already had a spark any way?   if you get a spark then proceed to the carb.as i have mentioned.  quote lee reply " just checked well I ordered a new coil from Sussex paramotors. great service by the way".     lee reply " fitted it I now have a spark but still wont start"    tonyparamotor reply   check the coil  it may be faulty!!! see if it will fit the moster? or get it checked out?  check the earth wire? on the coil?... if i remember 1/no spark.2/ brought new coil from sussex. it sparks.3/ all of a sudden it dont spark and done further tests. moster and polini.       double check coil and earth?  may be faulty or ask morgan to send another coil  because of hes good service so you can check.  its not another faulty coil. ( murphys law)

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR