fuel

chewi

I`m not a believer that fuel `goes off` - not to the extent that it will make a noticeable difference to the running of an engine, anyway.

For example, the fuel in my paramotor in the winter can be sat in both the motor`s fuel tank and the fill-up jerry can for weeks on end, sometimes up to 6 - 8 weeks. The engine always starts fine, no differently than if it had `new` fuel in it.

I don`t believe that the oil somehow magically `separates` from the petrol either, like i have read on t`internet from time to time. I`d accept definitive and scientific evidence to the contrary if any were available! I do give the fuel a `shake up` though just in case,  and there is always a good proportion of new, fresh fuel when i top up the tank to what`s left of the previous flights fuel, so i`m not running on completely old fuel.

I`ve always had similar experience on my motorcycles. Up to last year i had four in the garage (only 3 now  - 4 including the pitbike...) which i tended to use in rotation so some `bikes were sat unused for 12 to 18 months or more with 12 to 18 month old petrol in the tanks. They always started up no problem after their lay-off.....

At the end of the day though just go with what you believe, if you`re happier binning old fuel after a month because you think it`s `gone off`  then do it for piece of mind. My fuel `regime` is based upon my experiences above, i`ve never had any reason to believe i`m doing any harm so i won`t be changing.

Edited by Hann__
  • Like 1

Fuel left in a plastic container breaks down the plastic which, not only turns your tank yellow, but it degrades the fuel. You can read lots about this online. 

Buy a metal jerry can and a syphon (you can get a good/cheap one from Screwfix). Syphon your leftover fuel from your paramotor into the metal jerry can when packing your gear up. It takes about 2 minutes. Fuel lasts longer in a metal can because it does not get plastic contaminants over time. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-fuel-transfer-tool-8mm/

Edited by andre_74

The fuel containers are HDPE (high density polyethylene). This plastic does not really degrade with time - most car fuel tanks are now made from this.

White plastic only stays white in sunlight because it contains a UV protection additive. This additive is affected by the fuel.

The main issues with petrol storage are water ingress and the loss of the most volatile components of the fuel. In plastic containers water can find its way in very slowly over time. By a similar mechanism the smallest molecules (the most volatile - vapourise at the lowest temp) can find their way out. Both of these make the fuel worse and can cause initial starting issues in 2-strokes.

Plastic is fine for a month or so. Because I alternate between Spain and UK every 2 months, when I travel I leave the fuel behind - because it stinks my car out! This means it gets stored in plastic containers for about 10 weeks. I have had no problems with this.

As Andre does, I also remove unused fuel from my machine if I am not going to use it for a few weeks.

I use this fuel siphon tube  https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-jiggle-siphon-hose-20mm-x-1-75m/23447   although the one Andre linked to looks like it might make emptying the tank easier.

8 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

Depending on the quality of the oil you have mixed with the petrol, it can last for months. :-) 

The EOS is a tiny bit funky to start, so if your having starting issues... it's probably not the fuel its self. 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club! :-) 

SW :D

Thanks for welcome looks like a good place to get info and make new friends

• 4 months later...
On 13/01/2018 at 07:15, admin (Simon W) said:

Depending on the quality of the oil you have mixed with the petrol, it can last for months. :-) 

The EOS is a tiny bit funky to start, so if your having starting issues... it's probably not the fuel its self. 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club! :-) 

Hi Simon. New EOS 100 owner here. Why is it a bit funky to start and do you have any tips on how to get round that funky staring issue ? Aside from the advice in the manual :) 

cheers ! 

4 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

To be honest, I ended up binning the advice in the manual.

I found the following to be effective: 

Prime as normal, get it on your back and 2-3 normal pulls on the starter with 1/3 throttle. Job done. 

Happy to help if your local enough. :-) 

Thanks a lot Simon ? sadly not local but I do appreciate !

B