EOS 150

custom-vince

I see they have finally released the EOS 150. If it proves reliable, i think this could fit a maverick better than a moster. No more sticky out exhaust like the moster. The eos would be neater. This engine has been testing for some time now. Thrust quoted looks to be as expected for a 150cc engine, less than moster or nitro but more than 110, 125 engines, more akin to the thor130. EOS 150 is 11.4kg it should make a 21.5kg maverick which is more in keeping with competition to ac nitro. better than polini thor130 which is about 15kg from memory. 

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's with a 130cm prop. On paravol.info I found a link to a chart of real world thrust figures which I've attached. If that chart is to be believed, a moster with a 130cm prop makes between 74 to 78 kg of thrust. So this eos 150 has about 5% to 10% less thrust. It also weighs less, and if the fuel consumption is lower than the "thirsty" moster, plus reliable... Also, eos' 4 stroke is due to be released this year. 

On a side note, on 27 Nov 2013, Miro Svec of Scout paramotors toured the eos factory in Austria and remarked

They have engineered everything from scratch without making shortcuts or sticking to common patterns (most engine manufacturers actually use the same Italian pistons and cylinder heads). The EOS pistons are from Japan, the cylinder head from Taiwan, different carb, different airbox, clutch…These guys did everything to keep the weight low.   http://www.scoutparamotor.com/review-of-the-new-eos100-light-weight-paramotor-engine/

thrust figures.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1.3.2018 at 10:57, Erlend Madsen said:

EOS 150 + Maverick looks like a really nice setup!

It sure is Erlend. Come to Stavanger and have a look for yourself. Best engine I've ever flown! Light, high quality components, about the same consumption as its little brother EOS 100 Booster ICI - and 71 kg push in the 130 propeller. I'm in love :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just took ownership of mine.  I've got 6 flights on it now.  6 of my first ever solos even.  I love it!  It has enough power and then some, I'm 180 pounds.  I'm turning about 8000 rpms full throttle.  It's still quite rich as evidenced by the plug readings and carbon on the piston head via borescope inspection.  But that was also 32:1 breakin oil mix ratio, and we are now just going to 50:1 so that was first 6 hours, I just installed a new fresh plug and we'll get more readings on it after another 6 hours.  I'll try to post pics.  Btw, if anyone knows proper plug gap for this engine please chime in.  I currently have it set to .032 and it seems to like that.

DD out.

1 - Copy.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by doubledeez

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any more news on this engine? I have heard some horror stories about the EOS 100 and the manufacturer's response so I am a bit dubious of the 150....in spite of the numbers looking good.  Weight, fuel consumption and reliability are key factors for me. I know that the Moster has been around for a bit and they have ironed out pretty much most of their issues but I believe it can be a bit thirsty - even when used "gently". Any input will be appreciated...thanks.

Brilliant engine! There are 4-5 locally now and being used frequently. 

The ONLY issue (which now has a solve) is that the pull start chord was wearing (some breaking) in the Maverick frame. Tiny mod and problem solved. (contact Parajet if you have a 150 Mav and are unsure)

I have not heard or seen any bad vibes about the 100 either so not sure where you have seen this? 

SW :D

Thanks Simon. Well, it's good to hear that there have been some success stories. Without going into too much detail, I have heard of someone with the EOS 100 where the warranty was left to the dealer - not the manufacturer. In 2.5 years and 20 hours of flying time, the engine had been fully built - twice. If it is all true, it's a bit of a sad tale......

• 3 months later...

Update:

EOS has agreed to honor the warranty.  We will either get repair parts for a fresh topend or hopefully a new motor.  The ingested reed petal stop caused extensive damage to the head, cylinder and piston.  Hopefully they have a fix for the reeds, on the newer models.  This was a 2018 Manufacture, unboxed in April.

I do know I've worked on several 2 strokes, from jetskis by kawasaki to dirtbikes to chainsaws and weedeaters, and I've never once saw a reed petal that had a stainless steel stiffener reinforcement plate behind a reed valve to sit there and flutter and eventually snap off due to metal fatigue and go through the motor.  If they don't have a fix for us, you can be sure that's the first thing I''m removing from the reed cage when we go back together with it.  Stupid stupid stupid design. Absolutely stupid and not needed.  If it needs a backing that bad just install some Carbon Boyesen reeds and be done with it.