Ground handling Warwickshire

Hi FlatCap

Quick question - Why would it take a year ? It takes a 3/5 days with a qualified instructor to get the basics .... the rest of the skills can be picked up/honed over time.

Once your proficient you should be able to get up in the air under the guidance of an instructor.

Training/ school wings are (IMHO) much harder than the wing you will buy and fly with :coptor: ...... The wing I fly with launches amazingly - the school training wings were always a struggle for me.

Hi Shoreham beach, thanks for replying. My estimation may have been on the rather pessimistic side as I haven't tried it yet and available time is always an issue. Just a stab in the dark. 3-5 days sounds quite a bit more inviting. 

I have lined up some training for the ground handling and my intention is then to practise practise practise. Then I can confidently jump in with both feet, buy the paramotor and get the instruction as you advise. I have a plan and provider all ready for this.

I have noticed a bit of a split on the ground handling wing debate, half seem to suggest it's a good idea and half seem to agree with you. 

It would seem logical that a crisp new wing would be easier to fly but also logical that the potential wear and tear of ground handling practise would best not be endured by a new flying wing? The potential down side being the considerable effort required to operate a gh wing can be in itself prohibitive. Thus rendering it a pointless and frustrating exercise.

Is there such a thing as a good gh wing?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flat cap said:

Hi Shoreham beach, thanks for replying. My estimation may have been on the rather pessimistic side as I haven't tried it yet and available time is always an issue. Just a stab in the dark. 3-5 days sounds quite a bit more inviting. 

I have lined up some training for the ground handling and my intention is then to practise practise practise. Then I can confidently jump in with both feet, buy the paramotor and get the instruction as you advise. I have a plan and provider all ready for this.

I have noticed a bit of a split on the ground handling wing debate, half seem to suggest it's a good idea and half seem to agree with you. 

It would seem logical that a crisp new wing would be easier to fly but also logical that the potential wear and tear of ground handling practise would best not be endured by a new flying wing? The potential down side being the considerable effort required to operate a gh wing can be in itself prohibitive. Thus rendering it a pointless and frustrating exercise.

Is there such a thing as a good gh wing?

Flat Cap - Its better to get your training in first then look at buying equipment. You own opinion of what you need will change once you've got 15 flights under your belt. Although others will be able to advise - a lot of it depends on personal choice.

I think the only people who'd think it's good idea to spend a year ground handling are the BHPA who hate paramotoring and just want paragliders or people who like the idea of paramotoring but only get as far as flying the wing as that is inside their comfort zone. Imagine getting flying lessons (basically which is what we do) and spending a year running up and down the airfield taxiing in the plane. :o

The bit about the wing is not about being logical - its actually that "student wings" are completely different in their manufacture and performance from one you will actually buy. Student wings are larger and more docile in their behaviour (good) but are harder to launch than a more advance wing that you will use once you are competent. Spend a year struggling with a huge student wing and you wont ever fly as you you will be pissed off at getting thrown about by a huge wing that control you rather than the other way around.

Get some good ground handling skills from a good instructor and it will all make sense. :coptor:

(Of the 20 + people i have watched being taught this sport in the last 6 month only 3 actually do it actively. The rest either knew everything o.O/had their own kit but were clueless xD/gave up/didn't listen:ph34r:/didn't realise that it would take a bit of effortO.o/flew once and we so scared packed it ino.O/had mad skills from paragliding but could make the transition to power :)- none of these now paramotor.:fail:

Edited by Shorehambeach

Hi Flat Cap,

I borrowed a ground handling wing and harness (Action 29 wing) and then spoke to my instructor Mike Chilvers (top bloke) He then taught me the correct way of doing things and avoided me making bad habits. I couldn’t then afford to just go and buy all the kit and training, so I practised and practiced whilst saving for my gear and I really enjoyed ground handling. To me it was like a sport in itself. It wasn’t till Two years later I managed to get my first flight. Discovered that it was all then worth it. It did however teach me patience and how to put the wing where I want it, not just where it wants to drift lol. I still love getting out and practicing with my old wing now. IMO there is nothing wrong with ground handling whilst waiting on the rest to happen. As long as it’s done in a safe manner with an instructor to show you the ropes. Just means that when the time is ready you will find it easy to progress. If I hear of a ground handling wing for sale I’ll let you know. Good luck and never give up, no matter how many times you lay out for another practice forward launch pouring with sweat..! ??

On 15/12/2017 at 14:03, Shorehambeach said:

I think the only people who'd think it's good idea to spend a year ground handling are the BHPA who hate paramotoring and just want paragliders or people who like the idea of paramotoring but only get as far as flying the wing as that is inside their comfort zone. Imagine getting flying lessons (basically which is what we do) and spending a year running up and down the airfield taxiing in the plane. :o

I'm a member of PMC and very happy about it. But in fairness I learned with BHPA and was up in the air within days. I read your paragraph above and decided that you were talking bollocks so didn't read any further. Would you clarify the fact that BHPA won't let you fly until you've been ground handling for a year? They may be flawed in some ways but that is ludicrous. I've been flying with BHPA instructors and on flying holidays with them, top people, love paramotoring (not hate it as you say) and want pilots to be safe but flying. 

Regardless, good solid ground handling is the best thing you can do for your flying skills, and you should have full control over your wing before you take to the skies. I also think it's good that you don't learn with a wing that is too easy because you need to know how to control your wing instead of just letting it do all the work (one day it might decide to not do the work and then it would be your turn to do the flying). 

Edited to add: Just read the rest of your post - You can't just fly an oversized wing, you have to be within weight range of any particular wing and a school will not have you on a "huge wing" unless you need one as you'd be underweight otherwise. I'm not going to disect the rest of your drivel but please stop writing such tripe.  

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Calm down mate. 

I never said the BHPA wanted people to ground handle for a year - that was the OP wanting to do that ? I was being flippant !

But it does not encourage paramotoring as it wants paragilder pilots hence my comment.....

(All my calls and visits to BHPA affiliates to learn paramotoring were met with the "learn and become a paraglider pilot first (10 days) then transition using a 2 day course.Even after I had achieved my licence in the UK/Italy I my local BHPA centre ( that offer paramotoring) basically told me they can't stand paramotors and weren't really interested ? In the sport  ......)

Ok. Take a breath. 

Thanks for your post. 

Oh Flat cap, I forgot to add that I bought one from a local guy who had given up flying but I wouldn’t pay anymore than £100-£150 that was about the going rate for an old wing. Someone on here might have an old GHW kicking around to get you started and fully addicted, you’re going to love it ??

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 14/12/2017 at 15:11, Flat cap said:

Hi, I'm hoping to start paramotoring in a year or so. For now I'm starting with ground handling (expecting about a year to get the hang of it). Ive got a harness and I'm looking for a ground handling wing and any contacts in the Warwickshire area. 

Hows the first 6 months of ground handing been ? 

Hi Shoreham beach,

Well, I have got my gh wing, which is great. However being a full time airline pilot never affords me much free time (as anticipated hence the expected 12 months). Admittedly I have been gliding in K13’s which has been terrific (first glider solo a couple of weeks ago, even though my first powered solo was twenty years and 9000 hours ago it was still awesome, loved it). I am however off to get training next week to begin my paragliding adventure! I’ll let you know how it goes although I imagine it will be pretty tame in the early stages, at least I hope so.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Flat cap said:

I am however off to get training next week to begin my paragliding adventure! I’ll let you know how it goes although I imagine it will be pretty tame in the early stages, at least I hope so.

Is this a typo or are you going non powered 1st ?

And from somebody who GH'd 1st do Not! as your trainer will ignore it and teach you the best and easiest way, that's why they teach and we learn;)

patience is your friend in this sport :D.