how do you prefer to execute your turns?

Jobkfire

Hi All,

I am new to the sport and had my 10th flight recently.

I have a question related to the way each one of you prefers (OR SHOULD) execute a turn;

I have read and watched some videos, and each says differently i.e.:

option 1: turn to the left (for example) while lifting completely your right brakes, no tension

option 2: turn to the left (for example) while keeping arm weight tension at your right brakes

which is the most effective and less risky?

thanks in advance!

JOE

By flight 10 your instructor should have told you by now!  Most beginner/intermediate wings are more stable when both brakes have the slack taken out of them. In bumpy air my Roadster will develop side swing unless brakes at position 1. Instructors often teach "hands up" as the off position in order to try and prevent a student from inadvertently pulling both brakes.

Got it Andy! so you mean as you turn with your Roadster, you do keep some tension on the opposing brake. please correct me if I'm wrong!

As you said, my instructor advises to keep tension (arms weight) on brakes at all times to feel the glider when and if it deflates etc. for active flying.

for turns, he advised to always lift the opposing arm! I guess I should re check with him if he meant lifting it completely or keep some tension on that opposing brake.

Thanks!

Joe

Yes, weight of arm is fine. The instructors tell you to lift the non-turning arm to make sure you programme your head not to pull the brake on that side...hence avoiding stalls.

Active flying requires more than arm weight on both brakes. Don't do this until much more experience.There has to be enough brake pulled so that when released it has an effect. Read the book - Paramotoring bible, Jeff Goin from memory. Brilliant!

On 12/14/2017 at 16:30, AndyB said:

Active flying requires more than arm weight on both brakes. Don't do this until much more experience.There has to be enough brake pulled so that when released it has an effect. Read the book - Paramotoring bible, Jeff Goin from memory. Brilliant!

Thanks Again Andy!

I ordered the book Paramotoring bible from E-bay, waiting for its arrival any day now! :)

Happy Flying!

• Like 1