Jump to content

Radio Licence

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

could someone please explain what the qualification is that you need to operate an air-band radio legally. I understand that it's a fairly simple process that takes about 1 day and then lasts for life. Where do they they run the courses, and how much does it cost?

Anyone else interested in getting one?

Regards to all.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


You need to book in with your regional examiner and do a short course followed by a practical exam. The examiners have the kit (2XPCs) plus headsets and software to conduct practical training followed by the test. I am researching this at the moment to see if I can become an examiner. The country is cut up into 'territories' and they (CAA) don't overpopulate each region with examiners intentionally; getting approval is not straightforward.

A good plan would be to talk to your local flying club, they need RT examiners to test their fledglings.

CAP 413 is what you want to prepare, find it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI Ken

Here is a link to Radiotelephony manual. Very extensive tho


The course consists of three 2 hour sessions both written and practicle.

List of examiners. Give the one near you a call and ask. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/RTF_Examiners%20Mar-08.pdf

Thinking of doing it myself before the tip to tip but have a university level 3 essay to complete before then. There is a lot to learn I think. If you find out any more pleae let me know.

Regards Whitters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...