Daisy Chain your lines....

I don't daisy chain. Was taught to place riser tabs one into the other, then starting about half a meter along the lines, coil the lines in loops that are smaller than half a meter - so they can't get near the ends of the risers. When putting in bag the risers are always wrapped under a piece of wing, away from the rest of the coils. Never had a tangle yet.

Did that, had a tangle, never again. Not sure how it could tangle, maybe something moved that I didn't see. The next time I went out to fly it was in such a mess that I didn't fly that day, or the day  after. Somehow I must have lifted the risers, I had a top break delta through a top C line delta, I could never figure it out how it happened.

Edited by Casper

Then try this for super quick untangling.

Lay riser out straight (ish).

Pick up the main (front) A riser lines.....but start from the wing end.

Now as you travel out from the wing, keep the A line running thru your right hand. If you encounter any other lines going over the top of the A, just scoop them up  into your left hand.

When you reach the riser, pull it under the lines in your left hand (cos they are the ones in the wrong place).

All is now untangled.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FrankNL said:

Daisy chaining did not really work for me. The knots sometimes get too tight and I have to work (omg!) to get it loose again. I have always used the technique described by AndyB, never had an issue with knots or anything.

I'm with you Frank, only daisy chained once and everything got really 'tight'. I couldn't get it sorted at the field and had to go back home to get it untangled in the privacy of my garden.

On another but similar topic (packing the wing) how does everyone cope with the plastic leading edge reinforcements? Stuffing the wing in a bag seems liable to damage them so I have taken to concertinaing the leading edge, turning the reinforcements flat to the ground (in a pile) and strapping them together. The rest of the wing is simply gathered up and bagged.

This always seems a bit long winded so does anyone have a more straightforward solution that will still prevent the plastic pieces being bent?

14 minutes ago, Guy said:

This always seems a bit long winded so does anyone have a more straightforward solution that will still prevent the plastic pieces being bent?

When gathering and looping my lines I keep a  finger separating the A lines from the rest of the lines. When I get close to the canopy and it's nicely gathered I pass the A lines into my other hand and continue pulling them in on their own. The leading edge gathers together nicely and I then dump the wing trailing edge first in to a Paramania MultiBag with the leading edge on top and nicely gathered. 

• Like 1

I have been coiling as my new Roadster as per my previous description for the past 18 months. It is always kept in the big bag and rarely packed flat in sausage bag (only when I travel and need more room in car!). Just got wing back from The Loft. No damaged plastic bits. :) 

I like your A line trick Steve :)

• Like 1