How best to approach land owners

Here's the link...

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/?_ga=2.178413799.214155082.1510063563-643691615.1430316838

If you google land registry, be careful as you will get lots of sites purporting to be the gov website and will charge way more.

It's possible to use a map to pinpoint a field or piece of land to find out who owns it so you don't actually need an address.

Andy.

I use Google Earth to identify possible fields or beaches. Then check out said places for slope and surrounding hazards  ...trees and power cables. Then start knocking on doors. Ihave a video on my phone showing take off and climb out.

It took me about 12 hours of trying before getting the most amazing friendly farmer. I offered aerial photo and video of his farm and he has been really helpful. He has cows and I can use any of his fields  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I use Google Earth to identify possible fields or beaches. Then check out said places for slope and surrounding hazards  ...trees and power cables. Then start knocking on doors. Ihave a video on my phone showing take off and climb out.

It took me about 12 hours of trying before getting the most amazing friendly farmer. I offered aerial photo and video of his farm and he has been really helpful. He has cows and I can use any of his fields  :)

Andy

What did you say when you approached him ?  How much do you pay ?

I've done it many times and, on the whole, I've had great success.

Sometimes it takes a bit of detective work as the landowner can be quite remote to the actual bit of land you want to use. I'd advise you to have a picture/video ready on a phone as they'll almost certainly not know exactly what you're talking about when you say 'paramotor'. Then its down to your charm and choice of words -  I find it is important to smile and reiterate you'll leave nothing more than footprints and you'll be respectful to their property/crops/animals whatever... and make sure you are too! I'd never ask if there were any animals around anyway. If the owner is unsure/wavering I'd offer to pay for the use too... but I've never yet met anyone wanting payment.

Whatever you do, be polite, even if they are not! You can always go back later and throw poo at their door if they were nasty (joking).

The main thing to remember is that you have absolutely nothing to lose... but an awful lot to gain!

• Like 3

Actually legally, it's a pain in the arse for a land owner to take money.... its much simpler for them to not. (which just means a decent £100+ bottle of single malt once a year) instead I find :-) 

I still have access to all of the fields I have used in the past, and the thing they remember me for was the posh whisky (read cheep rent) :-)

SW :D

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I forgot to update this thread - apologies.?

I spent 2 days driving around various counties and approaching famers/land owners. After a few good conversations I managed to get an email address from a managed dairy farm. I sent the owner and email explaining what we did and I know have a 1000 acre farm to fly from. Ive done about 20 flights from there and all has gone well - I simply put a little bit of cash in an envelope each time i fly. 

Thanks for all the tips ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't currently have any fields local to me so I have just approached my first landowner, its actually one of the directors of a large company locally. I was given his email address form a friend who rents lots of land to him. I sent the email 2 days ago so now constantly checking my phone for a reply lol.

I also have my eye on another field a couple of miles away but that owner is on holiday till next week, I plan on knocking on his door a few days after he returns (hopefully in a good mood)

Fingers crossed...

I have spent the last 20 years asking farmers for permission to "Metal Detect" on their land; easily the number one answer is "Sorry, but old Bert has been coming here detecting for the last 40 years, so best I let him continue on his own". I now find I'm asking similar questions for permission to fly....

A few tips that have held me in good stead over the years.

Don't stop the farmer whilst he is working on his tractor ! Wait for the evening, or at least when he has finished his days work and is just cleaning up around his sheds.

Dress casual smart, drive up his drive carefully, park correctly.

Knock on door and ask if they are the farmer that owns such-and such a field.

Tell them you live locally and a mutual friend suggested this farm as ideal. Mention names, it means you get along with people he knows.

Ask him if you can have permission to fly from his farm, tell him you are licensed, rated, insured, etc.. Make him aware that you know of local air law, where you can and can't fly, nature reserve restrictions, events, etc. Take photos or videos on phone/tablet to show him.

Explain you only need somewhere to get your minimal kit out and run 10- 15 yards to take-off, then you will fly away at least 500 feet high so there is minimal to no noise. (Even the farmer does not want to start upsetting neighbours).

Explain, sometimes you may come with one or two friends, but never any more.

Offer to text the farmer each time before you arrive; he may have just put new animals in that field. And he then knows it is you on his land and not someone unknown. Let friends know you have a special arrangement and they can't go there without you!

Finally, if he is still not sure, offer a small car parking fee or decent bottle of wine/whiskey every Christmas. Suggest you will drop a few photographs of his property, farm, fields taken from different heights.

Good luck, surprisingly most farmers are quite friendly and will show an interest in your type of flight.

• Like 3