Calling Devon Pilots!

I haven't started training yet Dave, still trying to find a local instructor etc.

I headed over to Axminster to recce a site for Tip to Tip.

The farmer there has allowed flying from his land in the past, so I'm going to keep in touch. Perfect location for exploring the Blackdown Hills and also the Jurassic coast from there :D

Mark

I am one of those people with the opinion that it's best to train on the hill first, preferably to Club Pilot level, and then get into flying motors. I must admit that I didn't quite finish my own CP. I need one more day to achieve some hilltop landings and hillside landings.

I highly recommend Andrew Pearse at Flying Frenzy near Bridport. He is an excellent instructor. his number is 07990 505725

He took me to the French Alps and it was the fastest learning and most fun I ever had. By the end of the week he had me flying over Monte Carlo and landing on the beach. It really was a blast

Dave

Hi Devon Paramotor'ists (Mark and Dave)

I live in Hatherleigh.

I am halfway through my Flexwing microlight course but fear costs, once completed, are going to spiral and I am looking at alternatives, although pretty committed at this stage.

I use to be a CP paraglider pilot (trained in Sussex before moving down here in 2003) but stopped about 3 years ago after time, weather and two new little ones conspired to eat away my confidence on the hill as I just didn't feel I was getting enough time in the air to feel 'safe'. Plus Dartmoor is full of rocks compared to the tame slopes of the South Downs. I never got up to Woolacombe which was daft - but it is awkward to get to from here.

I guess I need a few hours practice ground handling and then look to an instructor to do the course and cover the motor/flying side of the sport. Any ideas on roughly how long the conversion process takes for an out of practice ex CP late 30's?

I just want to get up on those still mornings and evenings and look down at this beautiful county, with the odd epic adventure thrown in for good measure. It is great in the Microlight it just costs so much! And then you have the inconvenience of storage and set up or hangerage and large enough fields or airfield costs and so it goes on.

Anyway, wanted to touch base and say hello and would welcome any advice and thoughts.

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to the club page :D

Like you my aviation adventures have been severely curtailed in recent years due to costs and kids.

Microlights are great, my gliding instructor had one of the very first in the UK back in the early eighties. He treated a few of us to some trips around the airfield etc. At the time it was awesome! LOL. I did look at them when I made the decision to look at flying again, but for the same reasons you have stated it's a non starter. That's when I came across PPG and I really can't wait to get started. At the moment I'm reading everything I can find, watching all the videos etc and getting a lot from this site.

As for your questions, Dave, Simon and others are far better qualified to answer than I, so I'll leave it to them.

As for flying in Devon, one of the aims is to scout a few possible sites and make contact with a trainer as soon as, keep watching for the latest progress. Who knows, if we get a few interested trainees we may even be able to persuade Simon to spend a weekend down here to get us started on the basics huh? :D

Yes Dartmoor is full of rocks. The idea is to miss as many of them as you can!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome and your thoughts :D

I first saw PPG in South Africa in 1991 and thought - I want a do that. Somehow it has never happened. Maybe it is time to make the decision and, for better or worse, go for it.

I'll be up for dragging someone down to the area (if there is suitable place to learn) or equally going somewhere in a small group if it helps with costs.

Have you any equipment yet? If so, what have you got? And if not, what do you think you will get (make of wing and motor)?

I'm off for a couple of weeks holiday in a few days so if all goes quiet from me that's why.

I had fun with the rocks; and you certainly feel you're made of flesh and bone as you land between towering granite boulders - or find them hidden in the bracken :shock:

Thanks again and I look forward to perhaps flying together sometime soon. :)

No kit yet.

I know what I would LIKE, (Bailey 4 stroke engine in a titanium frame + Dudek Synthesis) but to be honest, my starter kit is going to be from the secondhand market in all likleyhood. No bad thing I think.

I've been scouting possible landing sites for the Tip to Tip guys for the last week or so. I wanted to get involved in a brilliant project and my 'Day Job' means I cover a huge area and have a few good contacts which have paid off.

as a bonus, a few possible regular flying sites have presented themselves, so we'll see what happens.

Microlights were something I considered Steve. BTW The nearest PPG pilot to you, that I know , is Allister near Shebbear.

I farm near Crediton and half of it is steep and the fields aren't big. PPG is best for me although I have had a friend land a 2 seater microlight here a few years back. I am changing my motor soon and the wing probably. I want to end up with a 160 cc and a 200 cc Flat-top paramotors by Revolution in USA. The exchange rate is good so they come out at about £ 3500 currently. I have looked at most units in the past 18 months and chose this one for it's strength and safety and powerfull thrust. The lighter one might be better for thermic use. The big one is great for over 16 stone porkies like me..!!

It is similar to the unit I have now. I've tried to bend it more than once and it's stood up to it but what i really like is the idea of NOT being able to get steering toggles or fingers near the prop because of the very strong frame and webbing. A mate of mine had a toggle brushing his prop and he nearly shat himself.

Dave

...A mate of mine had a toggle brushing his prop and he nearly shat himself...

What type of unit was he flying and were there any extenuating circumstances, Dave?

He he, like Dave, I am of the 'Heavy pilot' variety, but I'm certain a lot of ground handling practice will take care of a bit of excess :D

I AM in shape. ROUND is a shape! LOL

Dave, how do you plan to import? once the customs and excise get hold of it your exchange rate and costs could be on a spiral :(

Hhowever, if you have kit to sell, I'm interested

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave and Mark, Thanks for that - just back from a break in Portugal :)

I have been active in getting myself sorted out and back into Paragliding/PPG and booked myself a week in Dune of Pyla, Bordeaux with Flight Culture for a Refresher course mid May to get me back into the swing of things. Once that is out of the way it is onto getting some kit, a Motor and some training!.

This is all starting to seem quite do-able whereas the Microlighting seemed to be becoming more and more remote the further I progressed!

I won't be able to make it over to Crediton in May as I have my Dad and his new family with us for that week but I wish you fine and flyable weather. :D

Thanks for the heads up on Allister in Shebbear - not far away.

Dave, Do you fly from your farm then? The fields are big enough for PPG I pressume.

Steve

Well I am now the proud owner of a second hand, new and unused, Parajet Volution and Apro Thrust wing :D:D:D

Now for a week in France Paragliding and honing (relearning my ground handling and flying skills) and then back to Blighty to add a motor to the whole experience :D

I am really looking forward to meeting up with you guys some time soon and going flying.

Not meaning to gloat just extremely happy and I have to keep pinching myself because I can't believe it :D

Steve

I'd love to but planned a trip to visit family in the South East - probably not back until late Monday. That said the Mrs is not feeling great this evening so it might just be me and I'll do a run there and back.

Do you know what - I only saw it on ebay yesterday and didn't think anything of it. I found myself on there again today with ten minutes to run and thought this is too good to be true (I'll find out tomorrow!) Having done 8 minutes of research on the APCO Thrust I just went for it. I use to have an Apco wing and know they are solidly built. Still a little unsure. But I think it might have just saved me £2000 :)

The guy seems genuine enough - we'll see.

Have a great time in Yeovil if I don't make it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

sorry i didnt ring mate ,job changed at the last moment to Gunnislake.

Stayed for a couple of weeks at the Burrator Inn neat Tavistock.Great people and now have Two great fields to fly from and land on the edge of the moor.

Hope all is good with youy mate.ill be down in the summer for a long weekend as now i have to get loads of arials shots for the locals.

steve