Should I let friends train me on foot launch?

I'm actually a bit surprised that so many are a bit open minded and see that there is a gray zone with this subject.

I think that Randy gives the impression to have the right mindset, so I see no real problem or added risk.
Should everyone consider training with friends if they have the opportunity? Definitely not. Should everyone consider PPG at all? absolutely not! But the few who do probably already know what they are capable of and what kind of friends they have around them.

But save the full stall training for a SIV or for Pal Takats upcoming instruction video........
And btw everyone should listen to the cloudbase mayhem podcast.
http://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/episode-52-pal-takats-x-alps-acro-and-what-you-can-do-to-stay-safe/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shorehambeach said:

So you spoke to a trainer / instructor 

.....he said training would consist of 7 to 10 days and to me that sounds like it will be rushing and throwing me into the air and calling me a pilot.

In an earlier post you said 

..I could save $1,500 to $2,000....

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Bear in mind that there is a big difference in participating in a sport and being able to teach it in a safe methodical manner. 

There is no correlation between learning this sport and anything else you've learnt or taught so far.

My attitude was simply - when something goes wrong, as it does with any ariel sport, I want to have the skill set and knowledge to give myself a fighting chance.  For me that could only be gained by proper structured learning.  

Good luck ! 

Earlier I wrote $1,500 to $2000 because I wasn't getting into to much detail... Actually I spoke with a man in Virginia (really nice guy like most people iv met in this sport so far) he claimed training would cost $1,600 if I also bought paramotor through him, if I already have a paramotor he charges $2,200 for training. 

And I agree.... What little kiting I have done its unlike any sport iv done... I have always been on the ground and wanting to be in the air. 

These two men isn't rushing me into the air at all... They insist I have full control of my wing on the ground before going into the air. When it's time to go into the air Jay will be sure to go over everything in Greta detail like he has with kiting (he likes to talk) ?and then we would use two waybra

21 hours ago, AndyB said:

I observed 9 other people being trained as the same time as me. Four during my first week training and 5 the second. My first week was only 2 days as mother-in-law got killed on a zebra crossing and I had to leave!

One person was in the air and VERY competent on day 3. Two only flew once. And 2 others I know have never flown after doing the training. My point is that the amount of training is very dependent on learning rate - how able the trainee is to learn....and overcome the scary factor. The trainers I had were VERY aware of this.

If you are a quick learner and know will love it in the air then maybe a mate is not so bad. However, if you would appreciate learning at a nice slow rate then doing all the basics with a mate might not be a bad thing, but I would ask whether they are fully equipped to deal with all the things that could go wrong when you first fly.

Thanks Andy, I have never had any fear of heights and feel very comfortable and absolutely love aerial sights. I have read that it's 80%kiting experience to be good at flying paramotors. And my friend stresses that he wants me to be very very good at controlling the wing first. So apart of me is just having fun kiting right now... The other part of my brain is saying but the paramotor now and fly!! Lol. 

17 hours ago, AndyB said:

Good idea....let's start a list....

1. Hold the power on. I have seen 2 guy's who kept getting scarred at the change in angle as full power kicks in and nearly crashed by backing off!

2. Know when to abort the take-off.........and when not to. I had a tangled brake line that was much better dealt with at height.

3. Torque steer (well thrust really) correction. Which side and how much to expect. I have seen a guy pull so much brake he swung round the other way.

Thx again Andy, I have always been a note taker at whatever I get into. I have a notebook that I take notes and I have written these down ??

Another tip for easier and safer launches that enables the wing to do it's job, on the take off run KEEP UPRIGHT, or even slightly leaning back, to enable the engine thrust to direct you into the air.

I've seen a few runs where the pilot is leaning forward and this makes it more difficult to unstick, plus I think increases the risk of tripping and face-planting.

Take faith in the lift of the wing to support the motor and just keep running.

2nd tip: particularly for forwards, be committed (think I WILL get in he air) so you are less likely to hesitate during inflation and initial run.

Cheers :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casper said:

I'm actually a bit surprised that so many are a bit open minded and see that there is a gray zone with this subject.

I think that Randy gives the impression to have the right mindset, so I see no real problem or added risk.
Should everyone consider training with friends if they have the opportunity? Definitely not. Should everyone consider PPG at all? absolutely not! But the few who do probably already know what they are capable of and what kind of friends they have around them.

But save the full stall training for a SIV or for Pal Takats upcoming instruction video........
And btw everyone should listen to the cloudbase mayhem podcast.
http://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/episode-52-pal-takats-x-alps-acro-and-what-you-can-do-to-stay-safe/

Just what I was looking for!  yesterday I was searching in Google for paramotor podcast...I just finished listening to it.. Great info thx man 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Juan.... Alot of great people in this group and in this sport. I'm blown away how Nice  people are in paramotoring. I had a guy on Facebook ask me to call him two days ago. I have never spoke or met this guy and he was kind enough to invite me to come to Virginia to fly with him and his friends. I told I would be honored to this coming spring when I get in the air.

Thank you for your opinion to this post too

Randy 

• Like 2