Polini flash starter alternative

paulg18

I have the old Thor 100 engine which came with the flash starter, I haven't had the rope in the prop issue but I have never been all that fond of it and parts of it seem to wear out quicker than I would like and last week I found that the main outer casing was broken which would appear to mean buying a whole new unit.

Thanks to Steve on the forum who mentioned recently about swapping his flash starter for a Briggs and Stratton manual starter I was able to find that you can get an as new Briggs and Stratton starter on Amazon market place for about £6 only.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003O0PLC0/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

The hole pattern is a perfect match, the only mod I had to do was pack out the starter ring on the engine by 5mm using washers and longer bolts to enable it to engage nicely with the pawls. I haven't tried an engine start with it yet so cannot comment on that but its looks like it will be fine.

This is crazy money for a good quality replacement starter and I just wanted to share it with other Polini owners.

• 4 weeks later...

I have flown with about 5 times now and I much prefer the way it feels, however I noticed that on mine it looks like one of the pawls is taking more load than the other is there is a wear groove appearing in the tip of this one. I need to remove the starter to see if there is any reason why this could be. I know that loads of people are using this starter in place of the Polini flash unit and haven't heard of this problem with others so maybe it's just how mine is set up.

• 1 month later...

It is a lot different, I think it's harder. The Flash starter is definitely nicer but you always have that knowledge that sooner or later it's going to break. 

This is what a Flash starter sounds like uncoiling itself and going through the prop. I had the replcement break too, only on the ground that time whilst trying to start it.

Reason I ask is that I had a ROS 125 and it had so much compression that I found it impossible to start with an over the shoulder pull  -I rigged a bungee to it but it didnt work , found it too difficult to start -I could start it on the ground but that was it - so I sold the ROS and got the kobra with polini, which starts very easily  -one handed  -but if ultimately its going to break then - I suppose I dont mind if its a bit harder to pull over -over the shoulder -but I wouldnt want it to be anything like the ROS  -have you done any in flight restarts?

One more question if you dont mind. How was your pull start routed (the pull start through prop incident). Mine is routed through a pulley, so I reach up and behind. thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Capotec2015 said:

Reason I ask is that I had a ROS 125 and it had so much compression that I found it impossible to start with an over the shoulder pull  -I rigged a bungee to it but it didnt work , found it too difficult to start -I could start it on the ground but that was it - so I sold the ROS and got the kobra with polini, which starts very easily  -one handed  -but if ultimately its going to break then - I suppose I dont mind if its a bit harder to pull over -over the shoulder -but I wouldnt want it to be anything like the ROS  -have you done any in flight restarts?

One more question if you dont mind. How was your pull start routed (the pull start through prop incident). Mine is routed through a pulley, so I reach up and behind. thanks for the info.

Not done any in-flight restarts with it that I can remember.

The pull start was routed through a higher pulley on the Parajet, everything still went through the prop though. :-( 

• 3 months later...

This could possibly be a new topic but may fit with this current one.

My polini 190 light snapped a flash spring which i replaced.  The problem I'm having is when I pull the chord it suddenly whits the handle out of my hand whipping the knuckles off me as she goes.  I've tried all the different methods of pulling but it seems I have to pull hard to get it to start but this causes the chord to whip back.  Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

TC

Polini 100 originally came with a standard pull starter, when new the compression could rip the handle out your hand and smack your knuckles. Once the engine had some hours it got much easier and I prefer the original starter. An upgraded starter came through, the flash starter, it did make things much easier. Treated gentle they can last quite a while. Just be vigilant, if anything on your paramotor is not quite how it should be stop, fix it, service it, dont just keep on going till it breaks as it may break at the wrong time.

if it slips then you are just wearing the next part and it gets more expensive and more hassle to change 2 parts, if its not recoiling, could be the spring will break soon or just needs lubricating, if the plastic pawls are worn out, they are £5 online, keep forcing it & you wear or break the next bits, starter and cup and your at £100 or it unwinds in flight, damages your prop, airbox, carb, emergency landing and fall bend a frame, etc etc. :) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tonyconway said:

This could possibly be a new topic but may fit with this current one.

My polini 190 light snapped a flash spring which i replaced.  The problem I'm having is when I pull the chord it suddenly whits the handle out of my hand whipping the knuckles off me as she goes.  I've tried all the different methods of pulling but it seems I have to pull hard to get it to start but this causes the chord to whip back.  Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

TC

compression, try a little less priming. The engine is backfiring, instead of the piston going through the cycle, it has hit the top compression and reversing. Hurts like a bugger. Could always try the bungee cord method. Poor mans flash starter, but generally more reliable, not quite as effective.

Be careful of your face when over the shoulder starting.

• Thanks 1

Hi Vince, thanks for that.  I have tried all the various recommended ways of priming and I have started many many motors over the years with and without flash starters but this is woeful and very different.  I feel that somehow the flash is not doing what it is supposed to do e.g. winding up the spring then cranking the engine.  Its acting like a standard pull start.  I know kick back can happen if the decompression port is blocked but I think the port being blocked is very unlikely due to the low hours of the machine.  I have emailed Parajet and Polini for advise so waiting on a reply.  

Thanks again

So, the Polini is starting on the button now with flash doing what it's supposed to do. Strapped it to a steel gate for safety, primed,  it and got a bad kick. Friend pulled the chord with no fear and she started. Did it again, started. I did it a few times, started first pull with no kick back. The truth is I do believe I was just not using the correct pull technique. Or, it just took a few pulls for the spring to settle. I've had this for over a year and I didn't have this problem before the spring broke so at a loss. Either way it's all good. Video of starting attached. You can start it on a shorter pull if you make a short pull until you feel resistance then let the spring recoil then one long pull.

VID-20180428-WA0000.mp4

Edited by tonyconway

Just as an update to this topic which I started some time ago and the alternative use of a Briggs & Stratton starter. The starter is working great with no kickback issues so far, the only alteration I have had to make is changing the pawls for polini ones as the profile on the tips is different and the Briggs pawls didn't last long as a result. Otherwise very happy with it. 

Edited by paulg18

On 28/04/2018 at 18:51, tonyconway said:

So, the Polini is starting on the button now with flash doing what it's supposed to do. Strapped it to a steel gate for safety, primed,  it and got a bad kick. Friend pulled the chord with no fear and she started. Did it again, started. I did it a few times, started first pull with no kick back. The truth is I do believe I was just not using the correct pull technique. Or, it just took a few pulls for the spring to settle. I've had this for over a year and I didn't have this problem before the spring broke so at a loss. Either way it's all good. Video of starting attached. You can start it on a shorter pull if you make a short pull until you feel resistance then let the spring recoil then one long pull.

VID-20180428-WA0000.mp4

Yes that’s definitely flash starter. I think the problem is, it is longer than your arms.

did you set the correct length pull cord? You can fine tune this, on a new starter there is a white mark and often a cable tie to help you align cord length. 

When pulling over the shoulder, I would reach the end of my arm and engine hasn’t kicked over yet, I would pull the cord sideways (aka bow arrow style) with my other hand and it was just enough extra pull to fire the flash starter.