Microavionics? And helmets.

Gregwatson

• 5 months later...

Eddie at Microavionics has just upgraded my PM100 to add Bluetooth, and removed the permanently fitted second radio 'pigtail' and replaced that with a tiny connector for when I need to use two radios.  The audio quality over Bluetooth is absolutely excellent, really good if you are using Zello for pilot to pilot comms via mobile phone.  I've also got a helmet power lead, which will allow me to charge it from a li-poly battery when I am away from mains power.

Totally chuffed and always a pleasure to do business with MicroAvionics: helpful, great products, quick turnaround and good value for money. 

• Like 1

Yes, Microavionics are really great - both service and kit. We just need Eddie to wangle some Bluetooth Sena style coms gadgetry into the headsets! 

Mind you I'd never heard of Zello and it looks very good. Are there any pitfalls? Obviously I guess you need a well charged phone!

How do I get the micro plug? The generally 2nd cable and plug is slightly annoying.

That said as I cant get a cable for my Motorola PMR 2nd radio also a bit redundant.

I think I will have to get another Midland radio to be compatible, just a niggle but the Mrs is going to notice a 3rd radio now :)

Dave

On 20/06/2019 at 09:32, e2vdavidb said:

How do I get the micro plug? The generally 2nd cable and plug is slightly annoying.

That said as I cant get a cable for my Motorola PMR 2nd radio also a bit redundant.

I think I will have to get another Midland radio to be compatible, just a niggle but the Mrs is going to notice a 3rd radio now :)

Dave

Hi Dave. Eddie @ MicroAvionics here. We can connect 2 pin Motorola into our system.  If you want your secondary connector changing, then let us know and we will have that sorted super quick.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 07:52, Lee Jackson said:

Yes, Microavionics are really great - both service and kit. We just need Eddie to wangle some Bluetooth Sena style coms gadgetry into the headsets! 

Mind you I'd never heard of Zello and it looks very good. Are there any pitfalls? Obviously I guess you need a well charged phone!

Hi Lee, Eddie@ MicroAvionics here. We can connect Sena 20 & 30's to our system. The only thing we cannot do it fit a BT intercom  for 2 way chat inside our headset. 

Personally I don't like the Sena/BT intercoms, so many intermittent issues and range is sometimes woefully inadequate and not as stated by the manufacturers. One recent and well known client only had 400m range on a Sena kit that was meant to broadcast upto 2km.

My pennies worth is stick with a radio, but I understand there are other needs, which is fine.

Hi Eddie

Its the Motorola T Series with single long (13mm) 2.5mm pin.

I did send the info to Microavionics in Germany but maybe it got lost in translation as the message was no can do :(

I also hunted on RS Farnell and Mouser and no luck.

I am also ok to cut the provided mini headsets that come with the radio as fairly ok with the soldering.

I really want it to be clean though having gone for the PMR100 set, working very well BTW.

Its only 2nd radio for Mrs B who usually is in the car with her Kindle whilst I buzz about.

If you have an idea let me know or I´ll just have to bite the bullet for a 3rd radio and the other stock cable.

Dave

2.5mm Pin
This is a special long reach plug. Longer than normal 2.5mm plugs

Ground.
Common Ground for Mic, Speaker and PTT

Speaker
Audio Out from the radio.

Microphone & PTT.
Ground via the Mic to Transmit

Microphone.
Standard Electret Mic input with radio providing phantom power to the Mic.

On 27/06/2019 at 21:40, e2vdavidb said:

Hi Eddie

Its the Motorola T Series with single long (13mm) 2.5mm pin.

I did send the info to Microavionics in Germany but maybe it got lost in translation as the message was no can do :(

I also hunted on RS Farnell and Mouser and no luck.

I am also ok to cut the provided mini headsets that come with the radio as fairly ok with the soldering.

I really want it to be clean though having gone for the PMR100 set, working very well BTW.

Its only 2nd radio for Mrs B who usually is in the car with her Kindle whilst I buzz about.

If you have an idea let me know or I´ll just have to bite the bullet for a 3rd radio and the other stock cable.

Dave

2.5mm Pin
This is a special long reach plug. Longer than normal 2.5mm plugs

Ground.
Common Ground for Mic, Speaker and PTT

Speaker
Audio Out from the radio.

Microphone & PTT.
Ground via the Mic to Transmit

Microphone.
Standard Electret Mic input with radio providing phantom power to the Mic.

Oh yes, I remember this one and our German importer did speak to us. Maybe you could buy a midland radio or you can make your own jack plug converter should we provide a lead to a 3.5mm plug. Just an idea, you could have Bluetooth fitted, then you could call your wife.

Hi Eddie, I did buy the bluetooth version so phone is an option, just looking for full coverage as we travel around CZ, France and Italy and often no phone service. I can make the converter cable though so will order one. I have a friend travelling from UK in the next weeks so will order through him while I make the adaptor.

Dave

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Discord as a means to comunicate could be good if your in a large group or you could use multiple channels on one server for several different groups. it does require a mobile data connection. and i don't know how well that works up in the air having not made it up there yet. it also does text aswell and video but its great for verbal communication, its what gamers use.